What Is The Longest Someone Has Kept A Rimless Tank Without Issue?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think* there are a few factors here.
1. tank size + LxWxH + water volume
2. supporting stand
3. end user care
4. glass thickness

I had the RS 650P seam stared to fail RS replaced it with there newer model with extra stand support. I traded that for some home work.

the new tank is going to be euro braced IM 200

IMHO smaller rimless tanks are great bit to large I am not so sure.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at year 7 with IM Nuvo 40. Went through one apt move no issues. I think they make a very good product. I'll be upgrading when I eventually buy a house. Upgrading to a bigger system is actually one of the main reasons why Id like to own a home...It's a dumb thing to say but I'm not kidding...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@piranhaman00 you see this? Them are fighting words . . . . lol.

FSP the premise of the question is to get to this point exactly. If any worthy builder can in fact build a solid rimless tank, then this thread should get full of individuals sharing the 5-10+ year stories of keeping their rimless tanks.

I'm starting to lean towards team Piranhaman thinking that rimless is too risky to invest into.
Rimless tanks can be done, but has to be done right.... My cube in question has several owners before me and has been in service for over a decade (IIRC built in 2011), no leaks, no reseals, no issues whatsoever. Also to add the front pane is not supported by the stand as some of the other manufacturers claim is a potential issue. I do believe they can be done long term, but again process/quality of assembly plays a huge part IMHO.

PXL_20230112_171930482.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Red Sea has had its fair share of leaked tanks is no secret. You've got posts from angry/heartbroken customers on all media outlets. This morning I read a for sale thread from someone who sprung a leak in their rimless CAD aquarium. I've seen plenty of comments in the Red Sea posts where people will say things along the lines of, "You should have went with Waterbox" or "That's why I will only ever buy a CAD rimless." The issues isn't the manufacturer; It's rimless tanks in general. That being said, what is the longest that any one of you has ever kept a rimless tank without fail? Not going to lie, I hear any sound of rushing water and I immediately run over to check on my Red Sea reefer, thinking it sprung a leak. Mine has been full over water for a year and 2 weeks now. How long has/was yours? I'm wondering if anyone has neared the 10 year mark with one of these tanks.

It probably depends on dimensions and height. My 80g shallow is rimless at the top but only 16 inches deep.

I do not want rimless if I step into the 200-300g range. I would do eurobrace. Eurobrace doesn't even look bad and actually looks better if you are the type of person to run a lid anyway. Even the fancy lids still have tabs and crap which would be hidden by the eurobrace since the lid would sit inside a bit. Plus you can get creative mounting gyres to the underside of the eurobrace and such. The only downside being is it will be a lot cleaner with gyres under the brace or vortechs so clean flow options become more difficult.

Anywho... it is just for my own piece of mind when stepping into the much larger tank world.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@piranhaman00 you see this? Them are fighting words . . . . lol.

FSP the premise of the question is to get to this point exactly. If any worthy builder can in fact build a solid rimless tank, then this thread should get full of individuals sharing the 5-10+ year stories of keeping their rimless tanks.

I'm starting to lean towards team Piranhaman thinking that rimless is too risky to invest into.
5 or 6 people before this that said they had rimless >5 yrs old?

Certainly it sounds like there were some bad batches of red sea tanks though :/

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any worthy builder can in fact build a solid rimless tank, then this thread should get full of individuals sharing the 5-10+ year stories of keeping their rimless tanks.
Why? I think of the mass produced rimless tanks the same way I think of the mass produced plastic framed tanks at Petco. Some last a good while, a few might pop a leak after a few months, many last somewhere in between. The "worthy builder" part gets passed over frequently because $$$ and time, rimless or otherwise. That isn't in any way an indictment on people who buy this, that or the other, just the reality of the aquariums that are popular in the hobby. For every one person who owns something like a Miracles/Savvy/Lee Mar/etc., hundreds (random number) of people own an off the shelf aquarium.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that being rimless is the cause of the majority of RS tank failures. Most of the pictures I've seen suggest that the front overhanging glass is the greatest weakness, exacerbated by insufficient support. Looks pretty, but I now wish I'd bought something else.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66g SCA that is about 6-7 years old now. I inspect it from time to time and I have no concerns at this point. Front glass on these is also unsupported.

I honestly don't know why SCA doesn't get talked about more here. I guess because they are not featured on YouTube videos.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tanks break because of the users, some break because of poor manufacturing or workmanship. Asking how long someone has had a rimless tank without issues doesn't validate or invalidate anything really...so what exactly are we doing here?

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks have been around a good while…longer than 10 years. SunnyX’s famous 100 gallon rimless with t5 was around 2008/2009. I had one custom made by a very reputable builder that I wound up selling after a couple years since I was upgrading.

I’ll keep the custom tank manufacturer’s name out of it but he did share with me something to the affect of:

“Hey, I get it. They’re museum type displays. But it’s a flawed design by nature. We have to use thicker glass so that we can have a larger silicon seam at to join the panes. The taller they are the more prone they’ll be down the line to a failure. One thing people request that we’ll never do is put an external overflow box on a rimless aquarium. It’s just not smart engineering. I can build any tank I want for myself. I’d always choose a eurobrace over a rimless; not for looks but for peace of mind”.

I’m sure many people have rimless tanks that are doing just fine at the ten year or older mark. But when I hear a tank builder of premium glass aquariums personally tell me that I don’t need to hear much more to make a more informed decision now.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some tanks break because of the users, some break because of poor manufacturing or workmanship. Asking how long someone has had a rimless tank without issues doesn't validate or invalidate anything really...so what exactly are we doing here?
What are we doing here? Using the forum to ask users about their experiences. Thought that was clear.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cadlights 100g I got used in early 2016 so over 6 years no issues. It was used but probably only a year or two old, perfect condition when I got it.

Also, before that was a 34g Solana that i had for 5 years and the previous owner probably had at least a few years on it. Sold to someone else and probably still growing strong. Miss that thing.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66g SCA that is about 6-7 years old now. I inspect it from time to time and I have no concerns at this point. Front glass on these is also unsupported.

I honestly don't know why SCA doesn't get talked about more here. I guess because they are not featured on YouTube videos.
I'm ok with that, ssshhhh don't tell anyone else about them as it's still a great deal for low iron glass... and it's local to me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks have been around a good while…longer than 10 years. SunnyX’s famous 100 gallon rimless with t5 was around 2008/2009. I had one custom made by a very reputable builder that I wound up selling after a couple years since I was upgrading.

I’ll keep the custom tank manufacturer’s name out of it but he did share with me something to the affect of:

“Hey, I get it. They’re museum type displays. But it’s a flawed design by nature. We have to use thicker glass so that we can have a larger silicon seam at to join the panes. The taller they are the more prone they’ll be down the line to a failure. One thing people request that we’ll never do is put an external overflow box on a rimless aquarium. It’s just not smart engineering. I can build any tank I want for myself. I’d always choose a eurobrace over a rimless; not for looks but for peace of mind”.

I’m sure many people have rimless tanks that are doing just fine at the ten year or older mark. But when I hear a tank builder of premium glass aquariums personally tell me that I don’t need to hear much more to make a more informed decision now.
As an (almost) 10 year owner of a 120 rimless about to break down, I (finally) have to agree. I will brace the next one even though my RSR525 has held up.
If anything else I'd go eurobraced now simply because of dripping water on the exterior
Underrated benefit. My 10' frag has Eurobrace and keeping the sides clean is SO much easier.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back