What is the most annoying thing in your tank.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae!!!! It’s the bane of my existence!!!! Everything in my tank is good other than algae always growing out of control, I get rid of one type and another species pops up EVERY TIME!!!!!

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The engineer goby that digs incessantly and I haven’t been able to catch.

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp digging under the rocks and piling the sand out of the rock. It does a great job stirring the sand but no need to pile the sand against the glass. He’s on the refugium with no sand

tbaity1401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get it off? I have some growing on the front of my acrylic tank
it's time consuming...I actually sucked it up and bought a mighty magnet which is extremely helpful except for the corners. they're expensive but it's the only magnet I found that actually cleans without scratching. For the corners I use a Kent marine scraper with the plastic razor.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms never left my first system (since I used freshwater rocks and sand in a marine system while rarely using my skimmer). They coated EVERYTHING!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny bits of chaeto growing big and ugly in the sand

Also asterinas, but mostly because I haven't gotten tweezers that I don't need to rinse off after every use yet

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchins, I’m going through super glue like crazy because they just bulldoze my hammer corals off the rocks constantly
I was going to reply with righteous indignation...but I see that my tuxedo urchin has carried off the plug sealing off the back chambers of my Evo and is wearing it like a trophy. Again.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchins, I’m going through super glue like crazy because they just bulldoze my hammer corals off the rocks constantly

Oh those are not good together. I had a branching hammer with 3 branches, and each branch had about 9 heads on them. 3 baseball sized branches basically.

One day I'm cleaning the tank and I barely brush up against a branch, not even sure if I actually touched it, and a branch just falls off. The heads are fine, I had no clue what was going on. I glue the branch back together, but it looks like something has eaten it.

So I'm looking for pests and things that would eat the stalk of a hammer coral. I find nothing. Long story short, over the next few weeks it happens to my other 2 stalks. However, luckily I noticed one of my urchins on the stalk the day before the last one falls off. Embarrassingly even then I didn't make the connection, until the next day when the branch fell off.

I then realized that it was my urchin that chopped them down. My best guess on what happened is the stalks had a little algae or something grow on them, and the urchin was eating that. And like everything else, they take more than just the algae. Over time they just ate the branches down.

I removed them and put them in my anemone tank. The top of the branches were still fine and I didn't lose a single head. So I super glued them to a rock. Not a single issue or sign of branch damage since removing the urchins over a year ago, which confirmed it for me.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as livestock, the most annoying thing is my yellow watchman goby refuses to pair with any of my pistol shrimp. I have not seen the pistol shrimp since I put them in my tank, I only know they are alive because I hear the popping.

At least here in the past 2 months he has started to actually go under a rock for safety, rather than just sitting out in the open. I'm hoping maybe he just needs to get older more before pairing up. I have multiple pistol shrimp, tiger and the candy cane ones. I've had them pair up in the past almost immediately, but this goby is like NAH.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back