What is the most peaceful and pretty damsel fish?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dead one.
images.jpeg.jpg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of damsels are great community fish. "Damsel" is a huge classification covering many genera.

If anyone wants to discount everything called damsel, it is their loss.

I agree that Lepidozygus tapeinosoma probably shouldnt be called a damsel. In fact it is often called purple chromis or mimic anthias as well as other names.

Dont tell my 25 damsels they are mean, they might eat you.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of damsels are great community fish. "Damsel" is a huge classification covering many genera.

If anyone wants to discount everything called damsel, it is their loss.

I agree that Lepidozygus tapeinosoma probably shouldnt be called a damsel. In fact it is often called purple chromis or mimic anthias as well as other names.

Dont tell my 25 damsels they are mean, they might eat you.
Got a pic?

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Reef Chromis. Super sweet. It’s been the only fish in my tank to not bully our new Citron Goby.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azure is the best looking of the easily obtained damsels in the peaceful range IMO. Any of azure, Talbots, Rolland’s, Springer’s, Tricincta, Starki, canary, and a few others do great in tanks as long as they are large enough tanks. Damsels are not a fish for small tanks. I prefer to have at least two of each type because they spend most of the time paying attention to each other instead of other fish in the tank.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poor old damsel really gets bad press mainly IMO because we all at some point make the beginners mistake of going into the LFS for our first fish and the nice man behind the counter telling us- these are small, hardy and colourful. We trustingly, believe them and end up with an unsuitable fish, because they are hardy they last and last and last whatever a beginner throws at them. We want to move on but we have this unsuitable fish in there which has set up it territory and quite rightly (IMO) doesn't want interlopers. It isn't the fishes fault, it's ours, with help from your friendly LFS.

What we as a group need to do is, rather than condemn a family of fish is, via threads like this one, educate, not by posting 'damsels are spawn of the devil' or 'the only good damsel is a dead one', but giving alternatives, tell people to do research and understand the group before committing.

There are suitable damsels for tanks, there are unsuitable damsels, just like there are suitable and unsuitable tangs, angelfish, triggerfish and just about any group of fish you would like to name.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191214_221819.jpg

Has to be a starcki, only chases new additions, never to the point of death, very similair to dwarf angel temperament, however is dominated by my multibar angel and lyretail anthias. (Tank mates being randalls, lyretail, red saddle anthias, multibar angel, linespot flasher, bluestar leopard, royal pencil wrasse, komohara fang blenny, spotted mandarin, black cap gramma and probably have forgot a few)
Also have some springer damsels in a nano tank with a seahorse and theyre totally fine. So definitely not devil spawn lol.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always stick up for damsels as well. Some might be jerks but others make far better community residents, that will cause you far less problems, than your average tang, which for some reason get none of the hatred.
Would I recommend damsels for everyone, no, but they are colourful, hardy and real reef fish. I wouldn't have a tank without them.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chrysiptera damsel is rather mild mannered. Having 3+ really helps too as they then focus on each other. I have 3 azure damsels and wish I had 5-7. They claim a very small spot and defend it. 2 years in and no issues. Never hide and are very colorful and active. They stay very small. My purple firefish actually chases them!

tank mates are wheeler, pink spot and diamond goby, royal gramma, melanarus wrasse, 3 Green chromis, 2 ocellaris clowns, tailspot and flametail blenny, 2 red lined cardinals, purple firefish, 3 zebra dartfish, coral beauty, tomini tang, blue throat trigger. I think that’s all?

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The poor old damsel really gets bad press mainly IMO because we all at some point make the beginners mistake of going into the LFS for our first fish and the nice man behind the counter telling us- these are small, hardy and colourful. We trustingly, believe them and end up with an unsuitable fish, because they are hardy they last and last and last whatever a beginner throws at them. We want to move on but we have this unsuitable fish in there which has set up it territory and quite rightly (IMO) doesn't want interlopers. It isn't the fishes fault, it's ours, with help from your friendly LFS.

What we as a group need to do is, rather than condemn a family of fish is, via threads like this one, educate, not by posting 'damsels are spawn of the devil' or 'the only good damsel is a dead one', but giving alternatives, tell people to do research and understand the group before committing.

There are suitable damsels for tanks, there are unsuitable damsels, just like there are suitable and unsuitable tangs, angelfish, triggerfish and just about any group of fish you would like to name.

Sorry, but +1 on “... the spawn of Satan”
Lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back