What is the one fish or coral you wish you could have in your tank?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to have Anthias, but don't have the time for there high maintenance needs.

They need fed multiple times a day. There's nothing that says you need to feed them multiple times a day.

An auto-feeder is the solution for anthias. Preferably an Avast Plank if you can stomach the cost of it. Personally, I think it was the best purchase I've ever made for my tank. I've kept my lyretail anthias alive for several years, fat and happy. You can use freeze-dried food with it instead of just pellets, so you don't get the nutrient spikes you get with pellets in an autofeeder (or at least, not to the same extent). In my opinion, well worth the money.

I feed a blend of BRS freeze-dried foods (mysis, calanus, copepod, rotifers, golden pearls, plankton), TDO Chroma Boost, seaweed pellets, Coral Frenzy, Benepets and EasySPS. The fish absolutely love it, and the corals also seem to respond well.

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like everyone has that one fish or coral they wish they could have in their tank to make it a little bit better but can't. Maybe it's due to the fish/coral being too out of budget, maybe it's something that is hard to come across, or maybe it wouldn't work well in your tank. I'm curious to hear what fish or coral you wish you could have in your tank!
I would have to say clown trigger, lion fish, frog fish and angels. Mostly all my want list are 100 % Fowlr. Since I am coral heavy with only one tank now. With no plans on second, it is an impossibility.
some day, maybe.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of crosshatch triggers and a clarion angel. Current tank size and probably any current or future budget makes them unlikely.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface rabbit fish: too small of a tank at 75 gallons

Mandarin fish: not interested in specialized diets
A foxface is a beautiful fish and one that has been in every one of my systems .
a 75 gal is listed as the min required size but it would also depend on what else is in the system .
They are mostly shy but can hold their own against more aggressive fish ( it’s almost lile
No one will mess with them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the harder to impossible to keep butterflyfish .
i would give up ever doing corals again if there was a way to successfully keep these long term in captivity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 32

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have one or two trigger fish. Alas, I can't afford to feed them coral every day! If I ever get an overabundance of coral, perhaps I'll get one to use to manage my landscape.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have one or two trigger fish. Alas, I can't afford to feed them coral every day! If I ever get an overabundance of coral, perhaps I'll get one to use to manage my landscape.
Triggerfish eat corals ?Any that’s I’ve owned will pick at crabs , snails , or even smaller fish .
they love meaty foods .

A pink tail trigger is said to be the one reef safe trigger fish. And also my favourite .

Attachments

• F4D1FBDD-2C88-4C13-A5CD-C58E0B3B03AF.jpeg
    F4D1FBDD-2C88-4C13-A5CD-C58E0B3B03AF.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 29
  • A214CFEA-33B4-4CDA-B70F-CDFE3426ACDE.jpeg
    A214CFEA-33B4-4CDA-B70F-CDFE3426ACDE.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 28

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Leafy Sea Dragon since I first saw a picture in a TFH magazine back in the mid 80s. Wouldn't mind figuring out how to keep and raise Blue Dragons if I win the lottery either.

1670686357829.png

1670686314135.png

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a Leafy Sea Dragon since I first saw a picture in a TFH magazine back in the mid 80s. Wouldn't mind figuring out how to keep and raise Blue Dragons if I win the lottery either.

1670686357829.png

1670686314135.png
I got to feed leafy sea dragons at the sea horse farm in Hawaii! For the blue dragon you would have to raise man o war for food...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thread! There are sooooo many fish for me!!! One in particular for me is the Moorish Idol! So beautiful and majestic and is such a looker with that ribbon of a streamer once it’s grown out.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sohal tang but I think he’d out grow a 4’ tank
That’s my pick also. Had one for a few years in a 125 pred reef I ran. He became such a dick would torture my Volatans Lion fish.

Best looking tang in my opinion.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe that's a Potter's Angel, which is endemic to Hawaii. There was a temporary ban on Hawaiian collections while the agency that manages probably the best-maintained wild collection system in the world was forced to prove that they were in fact the best-maintained wild collection system in the world to satisfy the demands of activists who understand so little about the ocean ecosystem that they wanted to release random aquarium fish into the wild, regardless of the origins of those fish or the likelihood of their survival.

If I'm recalling correctly, the stay order was recently lifted, but the collectors have to re-apply for permits or something along those lines.
Well said.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back