What is the one fish or coral you wish you could have in your tank?

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a mandarin. Although my tank is well established, it's only a 56g display with a 30g sump, which is not really enough if I can't get the Mandy to eat prepared food.
It's really not about the tank size, I only have a 50gal tank with 20 gal sump but my Ruby Red Mandarin has lived about 1 year in my tank. She doesn't eat anything except pods but is still nice and fat. I'm actually planning to get a male Ruby Red for her because I think my tank can support another Mandarin.

My secret is that I got rid of my skimmer in my sump so I can use that space to grow chaeto and have a 24 hour refugium. The refugium provides all the pods my Mandarin needs.

Of course, I seeded my refugium with pods and home grew phyto for the first 3 months to establish a very nice pod colony in my tank and refugium.

Don't let your tank size limit you from getting this great fish.

Cheers,
Harry

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a huge predator tank with eels and a porcupine puffer. If I ever get one, I'm naming him "E.T." :grinning-face-with-sweat:
In my current tank, I wish I could have a clown trigger or a sailfin tang. There are also some wrasses that I love that require larger tanks. Only 75 gallons though currently, so those are all out of the question, lol.
If I had the space money and experience I would definitely do a predator tank as well!! I think it would be really neat having various types of predator fish in a tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be a wish… Today, it became a reality :)
I finally found the perfect fish to complete my live stock for a few years. A Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens.
6134EE3C-34AF-4C10-B148-439C5CF3EA69.jpeg

I do have a few still on my fish wish list however the majority got crossed off. Some of the remaining ones are;
Pseudojuloides atavai
Cirrhilabrus pylei
Cirrhilabrus shutmani

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be a wish… Today, it became a reality :)
I finally found the perfect fish to complete my live stock for a few years. A Pygoplites diacanthus flavescens.
6134EE3C-34AF-4C10-B148-439C5CF3EA69.jpeg

I do have a few still on my fish wish list however the majority got crossed off. Some of the remaining ones are;
Pseudojuloides atavai
Cirrhilabrus pylei
Cirrhilabrus shutmani
Beautiful!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really not about the tank size, I only have a 50gal tank with 20 gal sump but my Ruby Red Mandarin has lived about 1 year in my tank. She doesn't eat anything except pods but is still nice and fat. I'm actually planning to get a male Ruby Red for her because I think my tank can support another Mandarin.

My secret is that I got rid of my skimmer in my sump so I can use that space to grow chaeto and have a 24 hour refugium. The refugium provides all the pods my Mandarin needs.

Of course, I seeded my refugium with pods and home grew phyto for the first 3 months to establish a very nice pod colony in my tank and refugium.

Don't let your tank size limit you from getting this great fish.

Cheers,
Harry
That's encouraging. I also run a skimmerless system. Unfortunately, I agreed to take a friend's old percula clown even though I had a baby ocellaris. The elderly percula lives in the fuge/sump with a bullied neon cleaner goby. I do not know if they eat pods. Maybe I should try feeding phyto?

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's encouraging. I also run a skimmerless system. Unfortunately, I agreed to take a friend's old percula clown even though I had a baby ocellaris. The elderly percula lives in the fuge/sump with a bullied neon cleaner goby. I do not know if they eat pods. Maybe I should try feeding phyto?
The percula is not a pod eater, not sure about the cleaner. Feeding phyto will make your pod population really grow. Also if you choose the Ruby Red Mandarin, they are smaller than the other Mandarin types so will consume less pods.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The percula is not a pod eater, not sure about the cleaner. Feeding phyto will make your pod population really grow. Also if you choose the Ruby Red Mandarin, they are smaller than the other Mandarin types so will consume less pods.
Thanks, that is helpful to know about the Ruby Red.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra Tang:

Was impossible to get when I had my tank. The one that was available to me ended up going to a client. I thought more would come and they didn't. Really wanted after having a Gem Tang and wanting the Zebra since they lived in the same waters.

Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse:

Tried a few times and they never made it out of quarantine. I've been told they are impossible to keep. There are now captive bred ones, but they are released rarely. Might do a species tank for them when they are released.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stratosphere zoa. My first purchase for my new tank were exosphere zoa and i love it. At $50 that hurt me. Forget the price of stratosphere.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a big enough tank for them:
IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4113.jpeg

As for this one:
IMG_5142.jpeg

Well after reading that whole thread, I need to know if they still have that eel!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they sold it for $1300. Sorry you didn't get your eel. I wouldn't patronize them anymore.
Yeah
I just used up the store credit and I don't see a reason to return. Well except if I decide to sell more fish. There is one good thing about having an LFS that has ridiculous prices ;).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back