What is the smell?!?!?

Starling541

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a two part question.
First time with a sump, and want a place where I can store my my filter socks until the EOW where I can wash them all at once.
Was thinking an Oder absorbing diaper pail. It’s been 3 decades since I’ve changed a diaper, but I imagine stink sucking technology has come a way since the 5 gallon bucket I used when my kiddos were in diapers.
Looking online I see some highly rated METAL diaper cans that filter out the smell. Afraid of the saltwater corroding the metal. What are you all using to store your used socks?
Second thing, I read that I can toss the socks in the washing machine with no detergent and just hot water, long cycle. I fear remnant chemicals in the lip of our front loading machine. Am I overthinking this? If not what is the best method you use?
In hindsight a roller would have been a better option and when I upgrade to a larger tank it will be the option in the new sump I run with. Right now because of plumbing and space the sock is the hand I will be playing until that upgrade.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I'm intimately familiar with. The first thing I found is that you want to generally rinse/scrub your filter socks out right away. If you place them wet in a pail, etc. they just end up getting moldy and the smell... my God. So after rinsing and scrubbing in hot water, let stand and dry.

Second, you should launder your filter socks (it's a good idea to have 3-4x the number of filter socks you need so you can rotate these out as needed). You can either use OxyClean+white vinegar -or- bleach (not both!). I put these on heavy soil, extra water and extra rinse.

It's also important to invert the filter socks before placing them in the washing machine, then revert them back after you take them out to dry.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw mine in a tote with some bleach and water. Then about once a month wash them in the washing machine with more bleach inside out on the first run and flip them right side and wash again in just water extra rinse and let air dry until ready for next change.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched the socks and switched to reef diapers and haven't had a single regret.
@Reef Diaper is a sponsor here.

OP
OP
Starling541

Starling541

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see how its possible to get 3 different options/opinions and all of them good ….
here is another; option 4: get a Reefmat
Sadly as I said, the footprint I have won’t allow a roller. It is certainly on the COE for my upgrade when that happens.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same concerns as the op shared regarding detergent residue contaminating the socks. I have a top loader, and the detergent dispenser is nasty. I also tend to overthink things.

I don’t use socks all the time, but I usually just scrub in the sink - it is not adequate.

OP
OP
Starling541

Starling541

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider not using one at all. Fish poop is and important source of carbonates and nutrients for corals.

Wow, if I was in the batter’s box I would have struck out with this pitch. This was TOTALLY unexpected!
I was expecting some other considerations from rollers to varying socks. Even the disposable sock I didn’t know existed was less of a surprise than NO mechanical filtration.
I was hoping for softball pitched responses like “this is how I store my used socks” that I could grab onto…… but no socks?!?! Like I said MIND BLOWN. The umpire just called me out!
I will certainly read these swim upstream links, pun intended. Are you doing this successfully?
I get why in the ocean it works because water to fish ratio is just so vast, but trying to wrap my head around how it would work in the limited confines of a restricted tank where the dilution ratio is much different than the sea.
I appreciate those that challenge the status quo and experiment against the norm, it helps the hobby grow!

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never used much of any mechanical filtration in my sumps. I have a bit of poly filter floss but it is all the way at the end between skimmer and return chamber and I wait until it's so full it starts making m ATO run too much. Not sure I even really need it. First chamber is a large ~8g refugium.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef diapers. Problem solved. For me running filter socks through the machine resulted in them tearing around the plastic ring long before they were ever worn out. So again for me the expense of replacing socks and the cleaning process more than justified making the switch.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an old salt bucket with a lid to store them. Didn’t notice a smell at all, but they were kept in my fish room. Secondly, I ran the washer on hot empty just to clean out any residual detergents then our machine offers heavy duty wash with 5 rinse cycles. Did this and added some plain clorox bleach to them. After the 3+ hour wash cycle I laid them out on my fish room floor to dry. They never smelled like bleach coming out of the washer but I figure any left over would have dissipated through the drying process.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . Are you doing this successfully? . . .

Yup.

And here's some other systems without skimmers, reactors or mechanical filtration I've set up and maintained over the years:

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

500 gallon

220 Rimless 450 view

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My method probably wont work for anyone else but other single guys with extra rooms in the house... lol

I have (as stated above) a supply of socks that will last me a month or so.

In my water making room/ art studio, I have a brute can that has been cycling a batch of new dry rock for over a year now. Whenever I change out a sock I wring out the majority of the water into the sump then I drape the sock over the edge of that brute can to dry. Once its dry I toss it into an old salt bucket till washing day comes.

Washing day!!!!

OK.. when I wash my socks I typically do them after I have finished all of the laundry I need to do. I toss them all into the front loader, heavy soil, HOT water, extra rinse, extra spin. NO detergents, NO bleach.

When they are done, I lay them out to air dry and then run the self-clean cycle on the washer.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the metal pail if you go that way. The white plastic ones will be best for this application. I agree that letting them sit is going to reduce the life as they will rot out. I just throw them in the wash on the sanitary setting which is really hot, I use no bleach or detergents. But I dont wait, put it in just after it comes out and then dry on a rack. I can reuse my average sock 10-15 times, and I generally keep about 10 new ones around to make it a once a year process to buy stock replacements.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus these solutions seem like alot of work get a filter roller and call it a day a roll last me like 2-3 months

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back