What is this? Blows off like Cyano, but is is Cyano?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I was just wanting to make sure you were aware before buying one. I guess I should've paid more attention before making a suggestion.
Change of plan on the Blue Velvet Nudi. I don't think he is ideal for my tank and probably not that effective.

I'm very much against chemical treatments, and after watching a few videos of the Flatworm-Exit process it's certainly not for me. Risking my fish, and all the months of progress with SPS FINALLY taking off isn't worth even the slightest risk.

I've decided to get the melanurus wrasse, picking him up in a couple of days. He will go into QT for the needed time. That gives me time to setup the DT for the female wrasse.

I will add a sandbed to my tank. Either a sandy area, or even go full sand bottom. After switching to Glass Bottom for years I miss having the look of sand, and other benefits that come with sand bed systems.

I see this as a win/win/win. Nice Sandbed. Nice Fish. The Flatworms will just be extra food for the wrasse, and things will work out over time and their population get under control. The Planaria flatworms are harmless if kept in check.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change of plan on the Blue Velvet Nudi. I don't think he is ideal for my tank and probably not that effective.

I'm very much against chemical treatments, and after watching a few videos of the Flatworm-Exit process it's certainly not for me. Risking my fish, and all the months of progress with SPS FINALLY taking off isn't worth even the slightest risk.

I've decided to get the melanurus wrasse, picking him up in a couple of days. He will go into QT for the needed time. That gives me time to setup the DT for the female wrasse.

I will add a sandbed to my tank. Either a sandy area, or even go full sand bottom. After switching to Glass Bottom for years I miss having the look of sand, and other benefits that come with sand bed systems.

I see this as a win/win/win. Nice Sandbed. Nice Fish. The Flatworms will just be extra food for the wrasse, and things will work out over time and their population get under control. The Planaria flatworms are harmless if kept in check.
Happy to see this as it's what I would do. For me, most "pests" are an opportunity to have a natural and consistent food source for a cool animal. Keep in mind "bio" solutions are 50/50, especially when it's not an obligate predator. IMO the goal with any bio solution should be control not eradication, and adding a wrasse will probably do that. Other options include springer's damsel (totally peaceful not at all like a damsel), some pipefish, a dragonette perhaps. What I love about bio solutions is not having to pour a bottle of "idk what it does" into my tank and hoping for the best. If that doesn't work, manual removal may just have to be part of normal maintenance. It happens.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to see this as it's what I would do. For me, most "pests" are an opportunity to have a natural and consistent food source for a cool animal. Keep in mind "bio" solutions are 50/50, especially when it's not an obligate predator. IMO the goal with any bio solution should be control not eradication, and adding a wrasse will probably do that. Other options include springer's damsel (totally peaceful not at all like a damsel), some pipefish, a dragonette perhaps. What I love about bio solutions is not having to pour a bottle of "idk what it does" into my tank and hoping for the best. If that doesn't work, manual removal may just have to be part of normal maintenance. It happens.
For sure!! I look forward to bring the Wrasse home and observe him closely in QT.

I enjoyed my Beautiful Harlequin Shrimp for Asterina control. Few Copperbands over the years for Aiptasia my DT's. Berghia farm started a month ago to solve my Frag tank Aiptasia outbreak. Various CUC (eg Emerald Crabgs) for algae control. etc, etc

Properly selected and cared for specimens is what make this hobby facinating and endless opportunities to discover/appreciate beautiful bio-diversity.

It was good to gather everyones input. It helped me make the better decision at the end.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You c
For sure!! I look forward to bring the Wrasse home and observe him closely in QT.

I enjoyed my Beautiful Harlequin Shrimp for Asterina control. Few Copperbands over the years for Aiptasia my DT's. Berghia farm started a month ago to solve my Frag tank Aiptasia outbreak. Various CUC (eg Emerald Crabgs) for algae control. etc, etc

Properly selected and cared for specimens is what make this hobby facinating and endless opportunities to discover/appreciate beautiful bio-diversity.

It was good to gather everyones input. It helped me make the better decision at the end.
Good job on not over reacting and formulating a well considered plan.

Melanarus are beautiful fish and I hope it eradicates your problem. Even if it doesn't show an immediate natural predilection toward the planaria you may be able to train it to target the planaria by blowing them into the water column. Please update on how things progress and what you learn.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You c

Good job on not over reacting and formulating a well considered plan.

Melanarus are beautiful fish and I hope it eradicates your problem. Even if it doesn't show an immediate natural predilection toward the planaria you may be able to train it to target the planaria by blowing them into the water column. Please update on how things progress and what you learn.
Good suggestion. (Feed Training).

While in QT (after copper treatment, before the move to DT), maybe I can add some planaria (Got plenty to spare. LOL :) ) to get the Wrasse familiar (mid day QT snacks) with his future Buffet in DT.

I will introduce (post photo) of my new fish as soon as QT is setup, and progress on Tank once he's in.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Female Melanarus Wrasse today. Got a quick photo while acclimating in bag.

Melanarus-Wrasse-in-Bag.jpg

After Aclimation she was released into the QT. Quickly dissapered into the Sandbed corner.
Wrasse-QT.jpg

I super sealed the QT TANK LID to ensure no jump outs!!
QT-tank-Top.jpg

I will start feeding her tomorrow. Regular foods....

I put a few dead SPS frags into my DT tank with the Planaria Flatworms.

The dead frags get covered by the planaria, so I'll transfer the planaria's on FRAGS into the QT to start training the wrasse on her future diet.

Hope she makes it thru QT. I'll do typical Copper Treament, the move her over to do her Job!!
Of course, first I'll have to get sand into the DT. Won't buy sand till I have confidence QT will go well.

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Female Melanarus Wrasse today. Got a quick photo while acclimating in bag.

Melanarus-Wrasse-in-Bag.jpg

After Aclimation she was released into the QT. Quickly dissapered into the Sandbed corner.
Wrasse-QT.jpg

I super sealed the QT TANK LID to ensure no jump outs!!
QT-tank-Top.jpg

I will start feeding her tomorrow. Regular foods....

I put a few dead SPS frags into my DT tank with the Planaria Flatworms.

The dead frags get covered by the planaria, so I'll transfer the planaria's into the QT on the Frags to start training the wrasse on her future diet.

Hope she makes it thru QT. I'll do typical Copper Treament, the move her over to do her Job!!
Of course, first I'll have to get sand into the DT. Won't buy sand till I have confidence QT will go well.

Good idea with the frag to attract the future food. What's providing the biologic filtration for the QT?

FWIW I've been happy with the special grade sand and although it is thicker or thinner in some areas related to flow, no sand storms in the system despite significant water movement.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a melanurus wrasse and you'll have the fattest, happiest wrasse of anyone on the forum. I have some in my sump (I used to say a lot but after seeing your tank I guess I only have some) and any that make it to the display become melanurus food.

Seriously though if you go with faltworm exit make sure to read up about it so they don't nuke your tank. The flatworm exit is fine for the tank, but each worm will release a little toxin that when accumulated from all of them can cause big issues.

Yep, I seconded this right away to @WallyB

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea with the frag to attract the future food. What's providing the biologic filtration for the QT?

FWIW I've been happy with the special grade sand and although it is thicker or thinner in some areas related to flow, no sand storms in the system despite significant water movement.
Thanks for comfirming that Special Grade Sand is good for my very high flow DT. Should be adequate for the wrasse. (not too rough).

- The bio filter is a simple hang on AquaClear type Power filter. Loaded with mature ceramic media and some floss.
- For water I used 1/2 old water from DT mixed with 1/2 new salt water.
- The fine sand in QT is also aged and biologically active.

I typically also add carbon to the filter but since I will be using Copper Power to treat the fish, and I have meds on standby (General Cure, Furan 2) if fish shows any sign of disease.....The carbon will have to be delayed till QT period ends.

I also have an Seachem Ammonia Tag in the QT to keep an eye on things (nitrites and ammonia typically rise together).

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for comfirming that Special Grade Sand is good for my very high flow DT. Should be adequate for the wrasse. (not too rough).

- The bio filter is a simple hang on AquaClear type Power filter. Loaded with mature ceramic media and some floss.
- For water I used 1/2 old water from DT mixed with 1/2 new salt water.
- The fine sand in QT is also aged and biologically active.

I typically also add carbon to the filter but since I will be using Copper Power to treat the fish, and I have meds on standby (General Cure, Furan 2) if fish shows any sign of disease. The carbon will have to be delayed till QT period ends.

I also have an Seachem Ammonia Tag in the QT to keep an eye on things (nitrites and ammonia typically rise together).

Yes, not too rough. I have five leopard wrasse (three species) and a pair of radiant wrasse that all sleep in the sand. The meleagris leopards and radiants were quite small when I initially added them and no issues with that grain sand.

Regarding flow, mileage may vary depending on how your flow is set up, but I think that's the heaviest grain sand that will be suitable for wrasse while also still handling some flow. There may be other alternatives that have worked for people such as a container holding sand, but I don't have firsthand experience with that.

Thanks for sharing the details of the QT set up.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a melanurus wrasse and you'll have the fattest, happiest wrasse of anyone on the forum. I have some in my sump (I used to say a lot but after seeing your tank I guess I only have some) and any that make it to the display become melanurus food.

Seriously though if you go with faltworm exit make sure to read up about it so they don't nuke your tank. The flatworm exit is fine for the tank, but each worm will release a little toxin that when accumulated from all of them can cause big issues.
Hey @Gtinnel, you were dead on right!

I managed to get a Melanarus Wrasse, however before adding him, I raised my lighting canopy to get better access to the tank. Using a narrow hose, I sihponed off as much of the Planaria as possible. Things went well using a slow flow siphon and I got like 75% of the accessible planaria removed.

2022-02-06_Planaria-Siphon-Bucket.jpg

My Glass bottom Tank wasn't the proper setup for the Melanarus, so I added a bag of Special Grade Sand to the BACK of the tank. I may do sand bed all around, but that is something to consider in the future.
2022-02-06_TankBackSandBed.jpg

The Wrasse went in last night. No aggression at all from the resident fish.

2022-02-06_NewMelanarusWrasse4Planaria.jpg

Even after the Planaria Siphon sweep the Tank looks better. I finally see my purple coraline colored rocks again.

Today I have been watching the Melanarus wrasse. He is power eatting the Planaria. Amazing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Gtinnel, you were dead on right!

I managed to get a Melanarus Wrasse, however before adding him, I raised my lighting canopy to get better access to the tank. Using a narrow hose, I sihponed off as much of the Planaria as possible. Things went well using a slow flow siphon and I got like 75% of the accessible planaria removed.

2022-02-06_Planaria-Siphon-Bucket.jpg

My Glass bottom Tank wasn't the proper setup for the Melanarus, so I added a bag of Special Grade Sand to the BACK of the tank. I may do sand bed all around, but that is something to consider in the future.
2022-02-06_TankBackSandBed.jpg

The Wrasse went in last night. No aggression at all from the resident fish.

2022-02-06_NewMelanarusWrasse4Planaria.jpg

Even after the Planaria Siphon sweep the Tank looks better. I finally see my purple coraline colored rocks again.

Today I have been watching the Melanarus wrasse. He is power eatting the Planaria. Amazing.
That's great to hear. Melanarus wrasse is one of my favorite fish. I have a ton (well what I use to consider a ton) of planaria in my refugium, but I never see a single one in my display

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB do you have an update? I just discovered I have a similar problem in bare bottom tank. How is your wrasse doing? I was thinking of trying a container sand bed. I don’t know of anyone who has had success with a sand bed container for a Melanaris wrasse so I am still working through that solution along with the siphon technique. Hope you’ve had continued success.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB do you have an update? I just discovered I have a similar problem in bare bottom tank. How is your wrasse doing? I was thinking of trying a container sand bed. I don’t know of anyone who has had success with a sand bed container for a Melanaris wrasse so I am still working through that solution along with the siphon technique. Hope you’ve had continued success.
I've heard of plenty of people using a sand container in their qt so I don't see why it wouldn't work in a display. It may be a little ugly having a container of sand in the display though.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for letting me know. I can always put it in the back of the DT (built into the wall). Are there any wrasses that may be more amenable to this yet will still do the job? I wanted to avoid a 6-line as they seem to become very aggressive eventually.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy.

The wrasse is doing fine. He needs the sand and sleeps in it, but during day he is out and about. Pecking away at the planaria (slowly).

I didn't do a Sand container like some people do. As shown in previous post photo above, I just did sand at back of tank and into a cave area.

I actually like keeping my Display Tank Front & Sides Bare bottom. I like the coraline look and glad Id didn't do the whole tank right away. At least for now, since the New Sand is going thru a bit of ugly stage. If it passes I may do more, but that will depend on how much maintenance the sand will be.

Many people do sand containers, or a corner, or maybe a area of low flow. That's what I did in my QT and the wrasse was fine.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy.

The wrasse is doing fine. He needs the sand and sleeps in it, but during day he is out and about. Pecking away at the planaria (slowly).

I didn't do a Sand container like some people do. As shown in previous post photo above, I just did sand at back of tank and into a cave area.

I actually like keeping my Display Tank Front & Sides Bare bottom. I like the coraline look and glad Id didn't do the whole tank right away. At least for now, since the New Sand is going thru a bit of ugly stage. If it passes I may do more, but that will depend on how much maintenance the sand will be.

Many people do sand containers, or a corner, or maybe a area of low flow. That's what I did in my QT and the wrasse was fine.
How deep is the sand area you created and how did you make a "cave area"?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the sand area you created and how did you make a "cave area"?
Picture is worth a thousand words.

Wrasse-RearTank-SandBed.jpg

Thickness can vary depending on size of wrasse. I'm no expert, but Wrasse don't need that much sand, they wriggle their way under it. Of course it can't be paper thin since they don't make their own mounds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back