What is this? Blows off like Cyano, but is is Cyano?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking action (STEP 1) . Lucky LFS has one in stock.

Will active my 10 Gallon QT tomorrow.

MelanarusWrasse.jpg

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer's damsel is a more reef safe alternative to a melanurus wrasse
Hmmm. The Springer Damsel may not get along with my Blue Green Chromis.

However the Chromis is the biggest Jerk you can imagine. I have a trap ready to catch him, but never got around to it.

That may have to be step #1.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red planaria flatworms.. theyll cover ur rocks and if ur corals are lazy.. them too
Flatworm exit should do it
Broke down a tank in the early 2000’s cuz of these freakers..
Got any wrasses?
6lines are a must in all my tanks
Gl

fishandstangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a melanurus wrasse and you'll have the fattest, happiest wrasse of anyone on the forum. I have some in my sump (I used to say a lot but after seeing your tank I guess I only have some) and any that make it to the display become melanurus food.

Seriously though if you go with faltworm exit make sure to read up about it so they don't nuke your tank. The flatworm exit is fine for the tank, but each worm will release a little toxin that when accumulated from all of them can cause big issues.
I agree, I added one of these to my tank and it does nothing but help. Melanurus all the way.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't treated before, this is a good podcast, and contains some helpful tips.

Just watched the video. Very informative thanks.

I'm still lost for best solution, except to start siphoning these guy out of my tank where visisble to cut down the population.

Flatworm-Exit would be my last resort....down the road, if ever.

I do want to replace my lost wrasse. My tank is 100% SPS, so melanurus-wrasse should be ok.
However my Tank is Glass bottom, and I don't think that will work.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. Thanks for the tip. I didn't check out my shopping cart quite yet.
Have you purchased the melanurus wrasse yet? I went back and looked at your tanks pictures and is your tank bare bottom, it seems to be but with what looks like probably corraline growing I wasn't positive.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you purchased the melanurus wrasse yet? I went back and looked at your tanks pictures and is your tank bare bottom, it seems to be but with what looks like probably corraline growing I wasn't positive.
I didn't. Was just window shopping.

No sandbed (Glass bottom), so can't have that wrasse.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking a step back to think things through.

These flatworms have been around for quite some time, so no need to panic and mess things up much worse, like kill my fish or SPS collection.

Not sure what I'll do, till I know what's safe and effective, and not a minute sooner till I'm prepared.

No harm in siphoning these guys thru a sock into my sump to cut down population.

At least I know the red plauge isn't cyano anymore.

Thank you everyone!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what method you eventually decide to go with, siphoning them out is a great first step.
Ok. I tried to siphon them out. Tried to make some DIY tubes and stuff. Tedious slow, and ineffective work.
I just have to many of these flatworms. For each day I suck out a few, more will repopulate.

Now that I know what they are, and not the lingering Cyano I thought it was, it revolts me to see the carpets of planaria all over my rocks.

Planaria-Patches-1.jpg

It would be extremly risky to use Flatworm-Exit. I would have to treat multiple times, and use lots of carbon and water to lower risk.

Planaria-Patches-2.jpg

Another factor is my tank is an In Wall Tank, so have NO access the front side to siphon. Almost impossible to reach many areas of rock scape. Deep caverns impossible.
Office-Tank.jpg

Even from Sump room side, my hanging lighting (T5/LED) is a chore to get out of way.
2020-02-10_SumpRoom.jpg

My large Euro Rim tank adds to the challenge.

Tank-Back.jpg

Again, too risky to TREAT until planaria population is brought down. My fish are worth $$'s (Large FAT Yellow Tang, Wanatabei Angel, Black Capp Basslet....raised for years.... are not easy to replace), and all that QT work over the years.

I don't want to add a sandbed for a wrasse......

A little luck has come my way. LFS had a Velvet Nudibranch available.
Only one (Large too). I placed order for pickup tomomrrow.
They don't get them often.

Blue-Velvet-Nudibranch.jpg

Certainly worth the $60 to do my Planaria reduction for me.

The Nudi should be happy to have tons of food. I will lower my flow and move my pumps for his safety.

Once I have population under control..... I can do the Flatworm-Exit with much less risk.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I tried to siphon them out. Tried to make some DIY tubes and stuff. Tedious slow, and ineffective work.
I just have to many of these flatworms. For each day I suck out a few, more will repopulate.

Now that I know what they are, and not the lingering Cyano I thought it was, it revolts me to see the carpets of planaria all over my rocks.

Planaria-Patches-1.jpg

It would be extremly risky to use Flatworm-Exit. I would have to treat multiple times, and use lots of carbon and water to lower risk.

Planaria-Patches-2.jpg

Another factor is my tank is an In Wall Tank, so have NO access the front side to siphon. Almost impossible to reach many areas of rock scape. Deep caverns impossible.
Office-Tank.jpg

Even from Sump room side, my hanging lighting (T5/LED) is a chore to get out of way.
My large Euro Rim tank adds to the challenge.

Tank-Back.jpg

Again, too risky to TREAT until planaria population is brought down. My fish are work $$'s (Large Yellow Tang, Wanatabei Angel, Black Capp Basslet are not easy to replace), and all that QT work over the years.

I don't want to add a sandbed for a wrasse......

A little luck has come my way. LFS had one of these for sale. Only one. I placeed order for pickup tomomrrow.
They don't get them often.

Blue-Velvet-Nudibranch.jpg

Certainly worth the $60 to do my Planaria reduction for me.

Once I have population under control..... I can do the Flatworm-Exit with much less risk.
I knew of the nudibranch but they seem to be pretty uncommon in the hobby and it slipped my mind to mention it honestly. I have no experience with them but have heard good things about them, but that looks like a monumental task for a single nudi (but gain just a guess). Anyway you seem to have a really good understanding of what you can and can't do to work on getting rid of them.

With that many there is no chance I would use flatworm exit until the population was reduced considerably.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew of the nudibranch but they seem to be pretty uncommon in the hobby and it slipped my mind to mention it honestly. I have no experience with them but have heard good things about them, but that looks like a monumental task for a single nudi (but gain just a guess). Anyway you seem to have a really good understanding of what you can and can't do to work on getting rid of them.

With that many there is no chance I would use flatworm exit until the population was reduced considerably.
I knew you would agree on the risk of toxin levels.

This Nudi is a large one, so it will be interesting to see his abilities since he only eat flatworms.
I'll document progress on this thread.

I did something similar when I had a Asterina outbreak...I also had hundreds. I got Harlequin Shrimp...it took a few months but he wiped them out. Almost starved at the end, but I got him out just in time.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew you would agree on the risk of toxin levels.

This Nudi is a large one, so it will be interesting to see his abilities since he only eat flatworms.
I'll document progress on this thread.

I did something similar when I had a Asterina outbreak...I also had hundreds. I got Harlequin Shrimp...it took a few months but he wiped them out. Almost starved at the end, but I got him out just in time.
Cool in interested to see how good of a job it does.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool in interested to see how good of a job it does.
hmm.

I just read that if you don't remove the Vevlet Nudi before it starves it will release the Flatworm Toxins into the tank.
I wonder if that's true. He'll have to be removed at some point. Probably easy to locate. (I hope).

Another worry is my high flow tank, with a quite a few powerheads. I read the nudi can release from rocks and possibly float around.
I'll have to make some powerhead intake covers.

Just when I thought I had a easy solution.

Will do my research to make sure I don't make any dumb mistakes.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.

I just read that if you don't remove the Vevlet Nudi before it starves it will release the Flatworm Toxins into the tank.
I wonder if that's true. He'll have to be removed at some point. Probably easy to locate. (I hope).

Another worry is my high flow tank, with a quite a few powerheads. I read the nudi can release from rocks and possibly float around.
I'll have to make some powerhead intake covers.

Just when I thought I had a easy solution.

Will do my research to make sure I don't make any dumb mistakes.

One additional fish for consideration would be a pipefish. I have read about dragon faced pipefish and potentially blue striped pipefish eating red planaria. I have a blue stripe in my 330 that handles the flow in my system. May or may not work for your situation, but worth mentioning.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do use FW exit be prepared to run extra carbon and filter socks. You'd have to change them a lot to try and get as many out of the tank ASAP and keep carbon going to suck as much of the toxins out as possible. This is all a bad idea though unless you siphon some out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see the logic of the nudi consumes the toxin and then can release it if the nudi dies, but I have absolutely no clue if that's true. There is a chance that the spotted (target) mandarin would eat them as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back