What is this growth on my clownfish?

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. About an hour ago when I was feeding my clowns I noticed this spot on one of them right at the bottom of the gills where the gills and body meet. Is it something to worry about? It's head also seems to be bumpy/indented on one side as well which I will include pictures of. I just so happen to have vitachem and Kent garlic on the way today so maybe that will help with whatever it is. Tank has had no new additions either for about 4 months.

IMG_9063.jpeg IMG_9061.jpeg IMG_9059.jpeg IMG_9071.png IMG_9073.png IMG_9074.png IMG_9075.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all. About an hour ago when I was feeding my clowns I noticed this spot on one of them right at the bottom of the gills where the gills and body meet. Is it something to worry about? It's head also seems to be bumpy/indented on one side as well which I will include pictures of. I just so happen to have vitachem and Kent garlic on the way today so maybe that will help with whatever it is. Tank has had no new additions either for about 4 months.

IMG_9063.jpeg IMG_9061.jpeg IMG_9059.jpeg IMG_9071.png IMG_9073.png IMG_9074.png IMG_9075.png
Looking at these pics, looks like a skin tag from a mild injury

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that gill seem to be flared or slightly more opened the other while goes about in the tank ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Please add a couple of pics under white intensity for verification as im looking on a smaller screen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it is also a skin tag from fighting. Clowns are really sly - they won't usually fight too much when you are in the room, so there may be some fighting going on when you leave. Sometimes, setting your phone up to video them when you leave can catch some issues.

Jay

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at these pics, looks like a skin tag from a mild injury
I would have to agree with this. My clowns mostly live in harmony but every once in a while they'll beef with each other and then stop again. I'm thinking I may have to get rid of one somehow, probably my local lfs, and get another but I've always had the thought they may both be females but at times they seem paired.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that gill seem to be flared or slightly more opened the other while goes about in the tank ?
I can't quite tell with as much as it's moving around really but I'm thinking it may be a skin tag. What did you think it could be?

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is also a skin tag from fighting. Clowns are really sly - they won't usually fight too much when you are in the room, so there may be some fighting going on when you leave. Sometimes, setting your phone up to video them when you leave can catch some issues.

Jay
I've been thinking about getting a camera and pointing it at the tank lol. But I think this may be right

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been thinking about getting a camera and pointing it at the tank lol. But I think this may be right
Wyze camera is widely used by many reefers

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't quite tell with as much as it's moving around really but I'm thinking it may be a skin tag. What did you think it could be?
IME, any time you got a fish showing something around its gills, you got to err on the safe side bc that’s where they breath and where things like velvet and flukes can do the most damage. Clownfish fight by locking jaws and nipping at fins. I’ve never seen they go after each other’s gills. As far as injury goes, marine fish don’t injury that easily IME. What’s dark to us isn’t always dark to them. I think you got to monitor it to see if it’s flared up and extra red on the inside, if so, it likely has flukes.

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, any time you got a fish showing something around its gills, you got to err on the safe side bc that’s where they breath and where things like velvet and flukes can do the most damage. Clownfish fight by locking jaws and nipping at fins. I’ve never seen they go after each other’s gills. As far as injury goes, marine fish don’t injury that easily IME. What’s dark to us isn’t always dark to them. I think you got to monitor it to see if it’s flared up and extra red on the inside, if so, it likely has flukes.
Would flukes show up months after I got them though? It's been 8 months since I got them and a few since my last addition

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would flukes show up months after I got them though? It's been 8 months since I got them and a few since my last addition
Flukes are contracted by as simple as new live rock or coral. They’re impossible to see in early stages and often affect gills and body
Not from what I see a fluke issue

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your last addition a few weeks ago?
It's been a few months but it was a Tomini tang. Sadly lost to a pH crash that I've been making sure will never happen again. Otherwise nothing else has gone in the tank. Rock, Coral, or otherwise.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few months but it was a Tomini tang. Sadly lost to a pH crash that I've been making sure will never happen again. Otherwise nothing else has gone in the tank. Rock, Coral, or otherwise.
I see. If you have no other tanks that had new un-QT’ed intro to cause cross contamination then it is not

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back