What is this on my clown?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm... it seems like your tank has christmastillia.. its a rare disease where it starts to snow underwater. Usually not harmful.
Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you have an opinion on what was on his clown Rmorris. I admit your comment was funny...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have an opinion on what was on his clown Rmorris. I admit your comment was funny...
Oh, I agree with you and Jay. I Didn’t feel like I needed to add anything to what was already said. However, I couldn’t let “christmastillia” sit there any longer without a retort. My response was mostly facial expressions though, therefore I used GIFS. ;)

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess based on your comment: "he’s eating normally and swimming around fine." that if true, this isn't velvet, but rather, late stage marine ich (in that case, the spots tend to run together). A video would help confirm that. A fish with velvet dusting that severe would be laying on the bottom breathing really fast.

I'm very surprised that none of your other fish have showed symptoms yet - but maybe you've missed them? Black clownfish show these spots so well, your other fish may also have some, just more difficult to see.

Either way, all of the fish will need to be treated with copper in another tank (or if we can 100% rule out velvet, you could try hyposalinity)....which I fully understand is going to be very difficult for you to do.

Jay

I’ve not got many fish as I’m new. I have three cromis and two clowns with soft corals and crabs.

I’ve just been given some esha oodinex treatment. It’s three day treatment but if after three days no hope carry on for another 7 days.

Attachments

• B6F17CA5-381A-47B6-9FA6-81EFDCA4BBCF.jpeg
    B6F17CA5-381A-47B6-9FA6-81EFDCA4BBCF.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets back up a second.

1. Are any other fish sick?
2. Is he breathing fast - or any other symptoms (scratching, etc) - I know you said 'no' but that would be somewhat 'odd'?

When I first saw the pictures - I thought it looked like velvet. The minimal symptoms (though they can come on very very rapidly) - made me think CI. Of course clowns are always accused of having Brooklynella (which this does not really look like).

Like the others have said - a severe case of whatever it is - needs immediate treatment - in a separate tank - with a copper containing medication - with careful measuring of levels and good aeration. Your other fish will need to be treated as well. Reef-safe medication.

Your display tank will then need to be fallow for 45-76 days depending on the protocol you choose to use.

A treatment 'system' can be as simple as a food safe tub with a heater, something to measure ammonia (like a sachem alert) - and oxygenation.

For velvet - for temporary 'relief' you can do a freshwater dip protocol.

Lastly - Fish can recover from illness - so its possible that this one will - In tanks, though, usually due to the higher number of parasite load - they do not - and everything in your tank can be wiped out.

Hope this helps - and good luck with the fish!!
It’s hard to tell really, I do think my cromis have it as well, it’s just a lot easier to see on the black clown.

I have attached a video

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess based on your comment: "he’s eating normally and swimming around fine." that if true, this isn't velvet, but rather, late stage marine ich (in that case, the spots tend to run together). A video would help confirm that. A fish with velvet dusting that severe would be laying on the bottom breathing really fast.

I'm very surprised that none of your other fish have showed symptoms yet - but maybe you've missed them? Black clownfish show these spots so well, your other fish may also have some, just more difficult to see.

Either way, all of the fish will need to be treated with copper in another tank (or if we can 100% rule out velvet, you could try hyposalinity)....which I fully understand is going to be very difficult for you to do.

Jay

Jay

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s hard to tell really, I do think my cromis have it as well, it’s just a lot easier to see on the black clown.

I have attached a video
unfortunately - without a YouTube version I cant see it. But in any case - all need to be treated IMHO

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have attached a video

This video shows a bit different than the still pictures did. See the mucus film on the fish, and how it is swimming kind of "stilted". I also don't see the concise dots in the video as they show in the still pictures. I can tell you this is NOT velvet, (the fish isn't breathing overly fast) but now, I cannot tell you if it is late stage ich or Brooklynella. The trouble is, those two disease have two completely different treatments!

I tried to find out what Oodinex has in it, but they cleverly hide that bit of information on their web site (Unusual for a EU company!). Back in the 1970's Oodinex was a copper product. They obviously have changed the formulation, as copper would kill invertebrates and they say this product is safe. I'd like to tell you to just keep using the Oodinex, but not knowing what's in it, I can't really do that.....

Jay

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video shows a bit different than the still pictures did. See the mucus film on the fish, and how it is swimming kind of "stilted". I also don't see the concise dots in the video as they show in the still pictures. I can tell you this is NOT velvet, (the fish isn't breathing overly fast) but now, I cannot tell you if it is late stage ich or Brooklynella. The trouble is, those two disease have two completely different treatments!

I tried to find out what Oodinex has in it, but they cleverly hide that bit of information on their web site (Unusual for a EU company!). Back in the 1970's Oodinex was a copper product. They obviously have changed the formulation, as copper would kill invertebrates and they say this product is safe. I'd like to tell you to just keep using the Oodinex, but not knowing what's in it, I can't really do that.....

Jay

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately he didn't make it this morning. This morning he was covered in that mucus you described. I will still add the treatment to the tank incase other fish have contracted it and I can catch it in the early stages.

I googled and also can not find ingredients, I was given the medicine by my neighbour who has a 1500litre reef tank who used this to treat velvet in his tank and said its saved half his fish.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Unfortunately he didn't make it this morning. This morning he was covered in that mucus you described. I will still add the treatment to the tank incase other fish have contracted it and I can catch it in the early stages.

I googled and also can not find ingredients, I was given the medicine by my neighbour who has a 1500litre reef tank who used this to treat velvet in his tank and said its saved half his fish.

What meds could I add to my tank to treat any fish that may have picked up brook but are not yet showing symptom. I keep seeing people use formaldehyde, but this just treats the one fish...I want to treat the whole tank. Surely brook will stay in the tank until it finds a healthy host, so is there a treatment I can use for the whole tank rather than qt as I do not have a qt tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What meds could I add to my tank to treat any fish that may have picked up brook but are not yet showing symptom. I keep seeing people use formaldehyde, but this just treats the one fish...I want to treat the whole tank. Surely brook will stay in the tank until it finds a healthy host, so is there a treatment I can use for the whole tank rather than qt as I do not have a qt tank.
Formalin is the best treatment. Some people have had some success using ruby reef rally pro. Brooklynella doesn’t have a resting stage, so will die out in 30 days if no fish hosts are present.
Jay

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is the best treatment. Some people have had some success using ruby reef rally pro. Brooklynella doesn’t have a resting stage, so will die out in 30 days if no fish hosts are present.
Jay

So really I need to remove all fish for 30 days?

What if I don't have a qt tank, is there no treatment I can add to the tank that will kill it off?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure rally is supposed to be reef safe, but the reef safe dose isn’t too effective on brook.
Unfortunately qt is the only way.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish should be out of the dt for at least 6 weeks.
Fish in qt for that long as well as for the duration of treatment.

All new fish should be quarantined:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back