What is this on my clown?

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this guy three days ago. I’ve noticed he’s covered in what looks like dust or white particles.

he’s eating normally and swimming around fine.

C446D006-2C31-4A69-857E-F516E64D1C79.jpeg 5FF9EBAF-A11C-434E-A302-EEBF9C19B8CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. A clear pic under white light should do ok also. Hopefully not ich, but hard to say without seeing.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• A4C0F528-13E1-4CAD-9ED9-DD739C275499.png
    A4C0F528-13E1-4CAD-9ED9-DD739C275499.png
    556.7 KB · Views: 61
  • E323DEBF-6E3F-4A18-8152-AD74F3076BD4.jpeg
    E323DEBF-6E3F-4A18-8152-AD74F3076BD4.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 61
  • B2DB67A0-ACEB-47AE-81B7-31B415A040C3.jpeg
    B2DB67A0-ACEB-47AE-81B7-31B415A040C3.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 62

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's what I suspect (marine velvet) the prognosis for the fish is unfortunately poor. Velvet is a real PITA.
Here is a website you can double check to confirm:

Note that it calls out a "dusted" appearance vs "salt grains".
I'm hoping I am wrong here. @vetteguy53081

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry my friend, and good pictures, and will let others comment, but if it were my fish I would say that is Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium) and a bad prognosis without treatment -
do you have a treatment tank?
If treated quickly and appropriately, not a death sentence

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh will it affect my other fish? I don’t have another tank.
unfortunately the answer is yes. If it is velvet,and it does look like it, your other fish most likely have it. Velvet acts fast and can wipe out a tank in a day or two.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh will it affect my other fish? I don’t have another tank.
highly infectious and most often lethal ...

If you do not have inverts in your tank (that you care for) you can treat in your tank .

Copper is the Treatment of Choice and it will kill your inverts..

Hours matter... please see what you can do for securing copper treatments

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It will wipe out everything in your tank. Your clown may have a resistance to it, but it's not a gamble I would take.

If you're in need of a tank, even a 5g bucket with a heater and airstone will suffice until you get something else. But get it out of your display ASAP. Velvet is a take no prisoners disease.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It will wipe out everything in your tank. Your clown may have a resistance to it, but it's not a gamble I would take.

If you're in need of a tank, even a 5g bucket with a heater and airstone will suffice until you get something else. But get it out of your display ASAP. Velvet is a take no prisoners disease.
I’ve picked up some reef safe antibacterial for velvet. Hopefully this saves him and my other fish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve picked up some reef safe antibacterial for velvet. Hopefully this saves him and my other fish
Lets back up a second.

1. Are any other fish sick?
2. Is he breathing fast - or any other symptoms (scratching, etc) - I know you said 'no' but that would be somewhat 'odd'?

When I first saw the pictures - I thought it looked like velvet. The minimal symptoms (though they can come on very very rapidly) - made me think CI. Of course clowns are always accused of having Brooklynella (which this does not really look like).

Like the others have said - a severe case of whatever it is - needs immediate treatment - in a separate tank - with a copper containing medication - with careful measuring of levels and good aeration. Your other fish will need to be treated as well. Reef-safe medication.

Your display tank will then need to be fallow for 45-76 days depending on the protocol you choose to use.

A treatment 'system' can be as simple as a food safe tub with a heater, something to measure ammonia (like a sachem alert) - and oxygenation.

For velvet - for temporary 'relief' you can do a freshwater dip protocol.

Lastly - Fish can recover from illness - so its possible that this one will - In tanks, though, usually due to the higher number of parasite load - they do not - and everything in your tank can be wiped out.

Hope this helps - and good luck with the fish!!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is caused by a dinoflagellate, a single celled organism. They are not bacteria, and thus antibiotics will not work. It needs to treated with a copper based medication or chloroquine phosphate, which must be sourced online typically. You could try a short freshwater dip (in treated water) for temporary symptom relief, but that won't cure it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this guy three days ago. I’ve noticed he’s covered in what looks like dust or white particles.

he’s eating normally and swimming around fine.

C446D006-2C31-4A69-857E-F516E64D1C79.jpeg 5FF9EBAF-A11C-434E-A302-EEBF9C19B8CE.jpeg

I guess based on your comment: "he’s eating normally and swimming around fine." that if true, this isn't velvet, but rather, late stage marine ich (in that case, the spots tend to run together). A video would help confirm that. A fish with velvet dusting that severe would be laying on the bottom breathing really fast.

I'm very surprised that none of your other fish have showed symptoms yet - but maybe you've missed them? Black clownfish show these spots so well, your other fish may also have some, just more difficult to see.

Either way, all of the fish will need to be treated with copper in another tank (or if we can 100% rule out velvet, you could try hyposalinity)....which I fully understand is going to be very difficult for you to do.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Listen to Jay here especially, he's far more an expert than the rest of us here
FYI - for everyone else reading - there is a hashtag #fishmedic that alerts about 8 people including @Jay Hemdal - So - for everyone else reading this. if you use this hashtag you're going to get a number of people Vetted by Jay - and who have access to his protocols. Each of us have kind of worked into our 'roles' and also at times discuss cases that are confusing. I tend to go after 'differential diagnosis' - as well as some recommendations. Others concentrate on other things - but - bottom line - if you have a question on R2R about fish disease, QT, medication etc - If you use that hash tag - you will get appropriate information .. PS - EVERYONE is able to answer any question on this forum. My point was that there is a system which many people are not aware its available.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back