What is Wrong With My Hammers?

Zach72202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were thriving, then its been a few weeks since they have been in the tank. Now they look like this.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

20220818_140006.jpg

OP
OP
Zach72202

Zach72202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low nutrient levels?
look hungry and drab.
Maybe, I usually dose Reef AB+ almost daily and it doesn't seem to be helping. I don't feed them directly really though. I never have.

Are there any core parameters I could post that might be helpful? Its just odd cause these are the only corals that look to be doing noticeably poor.

I do plan on doing a waterchange today. I doubt that would hurt at all.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with params. When they are fat like that, I have noticed that they are tending to not be getting much flow. Could try and increase that a bit.

OP
OP
Zach72202

Zach72202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tests along with checked a few other things quick.

Brands and results as follows:

API - NO3 - 20ppm
API Phos - .025ppm
Salifert - Mag - 1230
Salifert - Cal - 450
Salinity - 1.023
Temp - 80F

For alkalinity, I got a used Hanna Checker with a tank setup I bought, tried 3 times with that, on two different tanks, and got the same result of 0.0 on all readings. Something tells me that isn't correct, so I will purchase a different test kit in a few days as I don't have another.

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag is low. i like mine at 1450. get hanna checkers for nitrate and phosphate, api isnt reliable especially when were targeting specific numbers, hanna is easy and takes the guess work out of it. the fact that they are still extending is a good thing, it could be lighting or flow but its imperative to rule out parameters first as changing light/flow/placement of a coral thats stressed from parameters could seal its fate

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tests along with checked a few other things quick.

Brands and results as follows:

API - NO3 - 20ppm
API Phos - .025ppm
Salifert - Mag - 1230
Salifert - Cal - 450
Salinity - 1.023
Temp - 80F

For alkalinity, I got a used Hanna Checker with a tank setup I bought, tried 3 times with that, on two different tanks, and got the same result of 0.0 on all readings. Something tells me that isn't correct, so I will purchase a different test kit in a few days as I don't have another.
API is not fine enough to test phosphate. My API test kit shows 0.25ppm from the start when in fact the number is 0.03ppm.
0.25ppm is not overly high in mature tanks, but high “ish” in new systems.

The only test that ever gave me good consistent numbers for phosphate was the UL Phosphorus Checker in PPB and checked with an ICP.

The system looks “new” and other than softies, bacteria populations may not be at levels to support colour and growth.
Bacteria feeds on phosphate in the water and corals absorb that bacteria in its metabolic processes.

When water chemistry is correct and unchanging for long periods of time, these processes will happen much, much quicker.

If your system has correct chemistry and stability, then maybe lighting is an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back