What is Wrong with my Pistol?

It may not be deficient, but maintaining appropriate levels are recommended so let’s just rule that out.

LA also recommends maintaining iodine levels, CA, MG and trace for tiger shrimps.

There are no eggs under its abdomen right?
It would look like 100’s of little dots and it would not be able to fully retract its rear swimmers completely.
 
It may not be deficient, but maintaining appropriate levels are recommended so let’s just rule that out.

LA also recommends maintaining iodine levels, CA, MG and trace for tiger shrimps.

There are no eggs under its abdomen right?
It would look like 100’s of little dots and it would not be able to fully retract its rear swimmers completely.

No, not that I can see.

IMG_0396.JPG
 
He is in a QT at the moment. The substrate in my DT is a little bit finer and he does great digging around in there.
Perfect.
Is he still running around and turning over or has he settled down now.
 
When a crustacean loses an antennae or any appendage, it's also a sign that it is unhealthy or in poor water.

How is the coloration? Notice any black marks on its tail or shell? Any algae growth on its appendages?
This is a good observation IMM.
All shrimps cannot tolerate high nitrates.
 
Substrate looks like Special Grade to me. No issues with pistols digging.
 
Substrate looks like Special Grade to me. No issues with pistols digging.
I’d hate to move that all day if I was a sand player.
It’s not a bad thing, just not a usual environment.
 
Honestly, after 2 years of tiger pistol ownership with Special grade, I wouldn't mind something even harder for them to move!
 
Just goes to prove that what happens in our glass boxes may be so different from peer to peer, with no rights, wrongs or maybes.
 
What do nitrates/phosphate run at normally?
When I tested Thursday, nitrates were at 6.4 and phosphates at 0.07 if I remember correctly. That's probably no longer the case though, because I did some water changes after I tested. I am going to try to test here shortly now that my husband is home.
Substrate looks like Special Grade to me. No issues with pistols digging.
Yes, it sure is! Great guess! And yeahhh, I was a little afraid they were going to topple my rockwork.. Definitely grateful I added sand after my rocks!
 
Specific Gravity: 1.025
Temperature: 80.2F
Ammonia: Looks to be 0 - Salifert
Nitrate: 13.1ppm - Hanna
Phosphate: 0.16 - Hanna
pH: 7.97 - Hanna
Alkalinity 7.1dKH - Hanna

I guess that solves the mystery. Nitrate is high and phosphate is super high, or am I not reading this right?
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new