What is wrong with my tank??

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of cyano building up on my sand bed and my corals. What can I do to combat this problem along with the Dino's I am still fighting. Cyano builds up on my corals everyday....
I had to use the Red slime treatment myself, Chemiclean. Blow it off constantly helps, don't let it build up on corals. My nutients went up to 25ppm nitrates and 0.159 phos and so far just a trace of cyano. My rock is covered in coraline now after treating for GHA and cyano.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been adding up to 10ML a day of Neophos to my 20 gallon. See if you can get a reading on your test 1hr after you dose phosphate.

Do you have any other flow in the tank besides the return? Flow does help.

I would do a small water change and suck out the cyano. After the water change add the phosphate dose.
Sometimes adding bacteria helps too. I like Microbacter 7. Turn off your skimmer before adding any bacteria or it will just get skimmed out. Instructions recommend 3 hrs.

Did you order a UV?
I would also recommend the Hanna HI736.
Yeah I have 2 power heads in the tank also and I have a UV running too

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use the Red slime treatment myself, Chemiclean. Blow it off constantly helps, don't let it build up on corals. My nutients went up to 25ppm nitrates and 0.159 phos and so far just a trace of cyano. My rock is covered in coraline now after treating for GHA and cyano.
Did your corals react negatively towards the chemiclean though?

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you boost any oxygen exchange in your tank also?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 2 power heads in the tank also and I have a UV running too
Ok, good.

Also I might add the the majority of my SPS have lost all of their color......
Most likely from 0 phosphate. Did you get any reading on your PO4 test an hour after dosing??

Did your corals react negatively towards the chemiclean though?
I would not recommend using chemiclean just yet. Your tank is still new. The product is anti bacterial and could throw your tank even further out of balance.

If you do use it, the cyano would likely come back. Also run the risk of Dino after using chemiclean too.

Do a water change, keep your water parameters stable. The Cyano will go away on its own! Be patient.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, good.

Most likely from 0 phosphate. Did you get any reading on your PO4 test an hour after dosing??

I would not recommend using chemiclean just yet. Your tank is still new. The product is anti bacterial and could throw your tank even further out of balance.

If you do use it, the cyano would likely come back. Also run the risk of Dino after using chemiclean too.

Do a water change, keep your water parameters stable. The Cyano will go away on its own! Be patient.
Forgot to test phosphates after an hour after dosing, I’ll do that tonight, I usually dose 3 ML into my 25 gal

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just the normal powerheads and skimmer. I have a light bio-load in my tank, 8 fish in 75, the largest is a YT, 2 three stripe damsels, 2 clowns, 1 filefish, 1 flamehawk, 1 blue/green chromis.
Gonna try to get rid of the cyano a different way since my tank is not even a year old yet

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, good.

Just tested my water and got 0 for PO4 after dosing 3 ML about a hour ago.....

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that, looks like the Dinos are gone but now cyano has taken over my tank :(

I had similar problems when my nitrates and phosphate bottomed out. I removed all media and just used a sock and skimmer for filtration. I dosed brightwell phos and nitrate daily and brought the numbers up and tank cleaned up well until the brown jelly invaded and started wiping out my corals.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar problems when my nitrates and phosphate bottomed out. I removed all media and just used a sock and skimmer for filtration. I dosed brightwell phos and nitrate daily and brought the numbers up and tank cleaned up well until the brown jelly invaded and started wiping out my corals.
Is cyano from nutrient deficiencies also???

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is cyano from nutrient deficiencies also???

I'm new to the hobby so not completely knowledgeable but I know my 03 and 04 bottomed out and various issues developed in the tank. I started dosing and the algae issues diminished. Now I'm keeping any filter media out of my sump with the exception of maybe a bag of GAC. More natural approach to allow nutrients to balance out so I might be able to stop extra dosing.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby so not completely knowledgeable but I know my 03 and 04 bottomed out and various issues developed in the tank. I started dosing and the algae issues diminished. Now I'm keeping any filter media out of my sump with the exception of maybe a bag of GAC. More natural approach to allow nutrients to balance out so I might be able to stop extra dosing.
Okay I see, were you having issues trying to get traces of PO4 after dosing? Also are you not running any carbon at all?

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04517A62-806A-4F1D-B1D6-8218653B02A5.jpeg

The state of my tank currently….

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back