OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you grab it with your fingers and pull it off? Is it on the coral? Could also use an old toothbrush (my favorite) if it’s not on the coral.

I would just do your regular weekly/ biweekly water changes if your going to do 6 gallons at a time.

How’s your pod population? IMO they are an important part of our CUC!
Yeah looks like the dinos killed off some of the coral and starting growing on the coral, I try to scrub whatever algae off everytime I see it grow back. I only added 1000 pods about 3 months ago when I added a high fin goby (who died) and havent seen pods at all even after I added them in

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F2C311B1-3CBD-4C72-B1E2-6902E30A18CA.jpeg

Here is how my tank looks currently, added in some gsp today to make GSP island @brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it certainly does look sharp Chris that's for sure. that's really nice, being able to add in those extra corals for pop color. its filling in nicely

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its nice you aren't hitting them with strong whites, the heavy blues plus good target feed is the right move. its like exercise where you have to sustain diet and motion a good eight weeks to see any good. really is like that, the exercise part is the constant guiding removal of the dinos in little 1-2 gallon siphon runs to prevent massing. it wont be many large changes like this one much longer, mainly small guiding ones. then by December some corals have really perked up

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its nice you aren't hitting them with strong whites, the heavy blues plus good target feed is the right move. its like exercise where you have to sustain diet and motion a good eight weeks to see any good. really is like that, the exercise part is the constant guiding removal of the dinos in little 1-2 gallon siphon runs to prevent massing. it wont be many large changes like this one much longer, mainly small guiding ones. then by December some corals have really perked up
You think I should target feed the corals?

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a cool thread to read. Very interesting to see this battle play out! I am still in the planning stages for my first reef tank and I learned so much here!

Thanks!
No problem, if I can led any advice from my experience is that don't add too much equipment to your tank. I was running a skimmer and a bunch of filtration that I didn't need and I think that ended up being the root of my problem.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll snap some full tank shots when I get home but so far so good. Only issue is this goni that is getting taken over by whatever is growing on it. I dipped and scrubbed it a couple of days ago
EDA1326C-2110-482D-BCD4-4A7E130373EC.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris sorry I missed these updates that is a really neat pic above with the fish staring right at the cam! Yes the system is cleaner than I’d expected, the quick mass reduction really seems to have set them back. Detailing the Goni frag back into compliance separate from the whole tank is ideal, really it’s looking sharp. thanks for updates

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have linked this to several folks lately to check out n copy

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll snap some full tank shots when I get home but so far so good. Only issue is this goni that is getting taken over by whatever is growing on it. I dipped and scrubbed it a couple of days ago
How’s the tank?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you leaving it in there vs doing the incremental removals/guidance gardening?

hadnt seen any updates for last two months showing it being lightly guided, two gallons or so of easy siphon water to remove and guide out strands. this seems to be at the end of leaving it to run since october?

we need to know how many interim guiding steps were worked, how many times you hand removed the invasion to wind up to where it currently sits with invasion in place

october 25th till now/2 mos seems to be one long ramp up phase of hands off buildup is that correct

I didnt see any changes made to the system after the first rip clean was why asking, it seemed the exact same conditions that brought the first invasion into place are still present

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you leaving it in there vs doing the incremental removals/guidance gardening?

hadnt seen any updates for last two months showing it being lightly guided, two gallons or so of easy siphon water to remove and guide out strands. this seems to be at the end of leaving it to run since october?

we need to know how many interim guiding steps were worked, how many times you hand removed the invasion to wind up to where it currently sits with invasion in place

october 25th till now/2 mos seems to be one long ramp up phase of hands off buildup is that correct

I didnt see any changes made to the system after the first rip clean was why asking, it seemed the exact same conditions that brought the first invasion into place are still present
Hey Brandon,

Yeah so I have been doing the interim maintain such as scrubbing down the rock when I saw growth pop up and doing the usual water change. I was constantly blowing off build up off rocks and trying to remove algae as much as I could but it went out of control again. The algae this time around looks different compared to last time. I'll update with my parameters when I get the chance. It's almost as if it's cyano with bubbles underneath.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back