What is wrong with my tank??

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it helps by increasing diversity but I predict no immediate impact. it can help bring in coralline. if it brought in one valonia or aiptasia that's no harm, we'd removal kill it off the rock. its good outweighs the bad.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on you nitrate and phosphate. Don’t want them to bottom out again.

How is your CUC?

Algae is going to grow in a healthy system. Coral and algae use the same nutrients. A good crew of snails will help keep it in check.
You think I should run my skimmer or not? I think running my skimmer 24/7 was the beginning of this entire issue....

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats decent rock I've seen it in tanks before. the only thing thats better would be coralline spotted live rock from a pet store that you bring home same day, it skip cycle installs.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this work? or stick with something else
Not really. Aren’t you in Florida? Why not go to Gulf live rock and pick out a nice piece?

You think I should run my skimmer or not? I think running my skimmer 24/7 was the beginning of this entire issue....
I removed my skimmer a year ago. With a low fish load and water changes, not really needed. Good water surface flow for oxygen exchange.
have 4 astera snails and 3 hermit crabs
That’s a good number for your tank. Snails sometimes need reminded to work the rocks. Remove snail carefully from glass and place on the rocks.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Aren’t you in Florida? Why not go to Gulf live rock and pick out a nice piece?

I removed my skimmer a year ago. With a low fish load and water changes, not really needed. Good water surface flow for oxygen exchange.

That’s a good number for your tank. Snails sometimes need reminded to work the rocks. Remove snail carefully from glass and place on the rocks.
The gulf live rock is dumb expensive and I only really just need one piece of live rock

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really honestly if the pet store would sell you a nice big chunk of the oldest rock they have from a display, coralline is best, that's ideal and not too costly

heck I'd walk in and offer them forty bucks for their single best display rock they'd part with. a big one not a fist size lol. make it work

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really honestly if the pet store would sell you a nice big chunk of the oldest rock they have from a display, coralline is best, that's ideal and not too costly

heck I'd walk in and offer them forty bucks for their single best display rock they'd part with. a big one not a fist size lol. make it work
Yeah my guy has stuff that is covered in coralline and it almost looks fake? Idk its like completely purple

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed that's prob painted liferock/too good to be true. even that stuff turns into live rock at times but it can be faked to looks months older underwater than it is

tell him: " can I just get the real stuff, for once, without any tricks lol"

back in 2006 none of this was happening, we had the baddest purplest coralline rock on the planet and were indeed spoiled rotten. I started getting visually tricked in skip cycle posts by the fake rock in about 2014 it really took off and to this day it happens. they'll post rocks that for sure look two years underwater then admit it was totally dry 36 hours ago from a shipping box.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed that's prob painted liferock/too good to be true. even that stuff turns into live rock at times but it can be faked to looks months older underwater than it is

tell him: " can I just get the real stuff, for once, without any tricks lol"

back in 2006 none of this was happening, we had the baddest purplest coralline rock on the planet and were indeed spoiled rotten. I started getting visually tricked in skip cycle posts by the fake rock in about 2014 it really took off and to this day it happens. they'll post rocks that for sure look two years underwater then admit it was totally dry 36 hours ago from a shipping box.
Yeah it is definitely the painted liferock, in my other tank I did have a piece of it and it had a feather duster in it so who knows. I could probably just grab some rock out of the ocean here and put it in my tank lol jk

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gulf live rock is dumb expensive and I only really just need one piece of live rock
To me, it’s worth the investment. Rock only gets better with age. Everything else we spend money on for tanks can die or stop working.
back in 2006 none of this was happening, we had the baddest purplest coralline rock on the planet and were indeed spoiled rotten.
I missed out!! Just hearing about all the life and the coralline on that rock gets me excited!! Saving up to get some shipped to my house in Oregon, that’s gonna be expensive!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the big / 50% water change done + hand clean out stragglers Chris was wondering how its going

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since some were left in the system vs completely cleared, it could still be those same ones. The exact ones could very well still be there, it was a surprise after the rip clean to hear about em.

I was thinking at the time what a setback that was.

The leftover portion is what’s remassing, needed removal last week in sectioned guiding.

since it’s a week past recommended water change date this is a fully customized run here, it’s opposite of the rip cleans we do. They’re being given formation time

That being said, it’s nice not to have a fully blanketed system right?

this makes you responsible for the clean outcome, no longer can a single celled organism control the tank. You won’t need ongoing reminders to manually remove the dinos, having just earned the sharp after pics.

if you have to rely on manual cleaning so the animals don’t get smothered thats because the dinos thread is 350 pages of experiments, it’s the toughest scourge in reefing. When they figure out how to stop them, the manual gardening will stop.

But you now control the tank. If it’s clean, you made it that way. If it’s invaded next month, made that way. Squarely an able choice.

figuring it all out in the invaded condition was harming the system / animals…. but now the water is mostly clean 95% and that’s healthy for them, they came first.

This is the only water change made since the rip clean is that right? The ones I’m doing in private message have all done two or three mini guiding changes by now.

you should get a UV they’re used often in tough dinos battles

and installing it in the clean condition is the right way

they prevent remassing by intercepting cells in the water phase

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since some were left in the system vs completely cleared, it could still be those same ones. The exact ones could very well still be there, it was a surprise after the rip clean to hear about em.

I was thinking at the time what a setback that was.

The leftover portion is what’s remassing, needed removal last week in sectioned guiding.

since it’s a week past recommended water change date this is a fully customized run here, it’s opposite of the rip cleans we do. They’re being given formation time

That being said, it’s nice not to have a fully blanketed system right?

this makes you responsible for the clean outcome, no longer can a single celled organism control the tank. You won’t need ongoing reminders to manually remove the dinos, having just earned the sharp after pics.

if you have to rely on manual cleaning so the animals don’t get smothered thats because the dinos thread is 350 pages of experiments, it’s the toughest scourge in reefing. When they figure out how to stop them your manual gardening will stop.

But you now control the tank. If it’s clean, you made it that way. If it’s invaded next month, made that way. Squarely an able choice.

figuring it all out in the invaded condition was harming the system / animals…. but now the water is mostly clean 95% and that’s healthy for them, they came first.

This is the only water change made since the rip clean is that right

you should get a UV they’re used often in tough dinos battles

and installing it in the clean condition is the right way

they prevent remassing by intercepting cells in the water phase
So I do have a UV sterilizer but did a 6 gallon water change 2 days ago (it was all the water I had) but plan on doing another one tomorrow, overall though the tank still looks good but I still see some growth on areas of corals.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFDAB887-FCE1-46B5-ABFD-7A9E1EA7302C.jpeg
CEB1C086-BC41-4E09-9E41-6D462FAAE365.jpeg

Why are these bubbles all over my rocks? And what is this algae that I can’t seem to get off my substrate? I just treated my tank for dino’s over a week ago and now I have this algae in here. Also the majority of my sps have not opened fully since treating the tank for dinos.

What can I do?
If you can’t afford a UV, try using Dr. Tim’s Refresh and WastAway. It’s a two-part chemical treatment that will help you get your nitrates and phosphates in check. Good luck!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read thru all the postings but I did a non-chemical treatment that worked. Turn down your lights for 3 days and turn off the red, green and white. Periodically run your skimmer. Feed a bit more to raise the nitrate and phosphate. Siphon and scrub off everything you can with water changes.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overall though the tank still looks good but I still see some growth on areas of corals.
Can you grab it with your fingers and pull it off? Is it on the coral? Could also use an old toothbrush (my favorite) if it’s not on the coral.
did a 6 gallon water change 2 days ago (it was all the water I had) but plan on doing another one
I would just do your regular weekly/ biweekly water changes if your going to do 6 gallons at a time.

How’s your pod population? IMO they are an important part of our CUC!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back