What is your DURATION of 'quarantine'

How long after purchasing a fish and bringing it home do you separate it from your display tank.

• I just acclimate to temperature, etc - and put the fish in the display

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • I observe the fish at the LFS for 1-2 weeks the put it in the display when I get it home

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 1-4 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-14 days

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 15-30 days

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • 30-70 days

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • >70 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If something different - comment

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So - recently in another thread - there were a couple posts about what the definition of QT is, whether to do it, etc - Many people this to be a one side vs another side - I tend to think its 50 different methods - and its impossible to compare - so FOR THIS POLL - its not about MEDICATION AT ALL - its only about 'I but a fish at the LFS (OR ONLINE) - and I put it in quarantine for xxxxxxx period of time (with or without medication).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Voted but I also use an acclimation box in my display for a while.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 30-70 days. I keep the fish in copper for 30 days, and then 14 days of prazipro treatment. Then into the display.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do tank transfer for ich which takes 2 weeks and then another 2 weeks for observation. Any other disease will show itself by this time, especially the deadliest. I haven't had any disease in my tanks since starting this method.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30-70 days observation here. I feed medicated food and observe for other issues during this time. I’m only on my second fish and she’s coming up on her 30 days soon. Another month and she can move to the display if she stays healthy.

U

User1

View Badges
Voted - I do something different.

I use Bob Fenner's methylene blue fresh water dip and/or bath protocols.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 'condition' my fish for average of 4 weeks, longer if needed. I put them in a tank set up just like a reef, mature with worms and pods, etc... but it is just for new fish coming in. So they don't have to compete for food but can forage and I can feed them heavily until they are healthy and eager and adjusted to life in a tank. I then move them over late night or early AM before my other fish are up.

I do treat with prazipro since I can use that in a 'reef setting' and I give fish a H2O2 dip before they go in the conditioning tank.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of changing my quarantine procedure. Had always used tank transfer and prazi followed by observation.
I recently set up a dedicated QT tank and will be observing and treating with prazi. Undecided if all will get copper or only thise with any signs of disease.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess mines more of an observation tank. I put newbies in a fowlr. Get them use to me, make sure they're eating, etc before I put them in the thunderdome.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I should vote since from this point forward I think I'm only getting fish that have already been quarantined.

Technically I could vote acclimate then put right into display.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. I do not prophylactically treat. A single dose of NFG powder and then observation. For disease I generally observe for a month. If the fish is at a healthy body weight and is of adequate size, after 30 days it goes into the social acclimation box in the display for a few days and then in. If the fish is not at a healthy weight or is small, it spends as much time in a second grow-out tank as necessary. If a fish needs to be treated for a disease, it must then be disease free for 30 days. The only exception is an observably disease free fish from an established system. Those either go right into the acclimation box or into the grow-out tank if too small.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimate until the water temperature and salinity is the same, maybe 20 minutes, and put the fish in.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temperature acclimate with the bag floating and then cup water into the bag over about 30 minutes and then up end the bag and the fish swim out into the display.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will generally get a fish comfortable and eating in the quarantine tank, maybe 3-4 days before taking 4 days to ramp up copper.
Then 30 days at 2.0+ppm copper.
I usually take a couple days to remove as much copper as I can then do 12 days of prazipro.
Then as long as nothing has presented itself, into the display tank. So I guess average is 50 days.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone through ich, then velvet then a 80 day fallow. I am well equipped and have the experience to tackle any disease or parasite or so I thought. Luckily I now have a QT protocol in place because I ordered a new batch of chromis and squareback anthias and all died from uronema. There is no way I will take any chances anymore. Everything new will go through a minimum of 60 days before i even consider puting it in my dt.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the TTM method along with prazi pro for newcomers if there are no signs of disease from the start. During this time I will monitor daily for any new signs of disease or illness. If the fish is eating and looks skinny or has stringy white poop I will treat for internal parasites. From there is sits for a week or two in QT for monitoring before going into the DT. In total its anywhere between 18-30 days.

Back