OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want SPS heavy id go 2 as the controller can run 2 at a time, if you run mainly softy/lps/FOWLR one is more than likely enough.
Awesome! This is the I for on this product I was looking for. I was thinking of starting off with 1 and buying just a second pump later on. Then put one on each side of my 4 ft tank. I think my harem tank might enjoy that.
Do you know if they have any nem guards? Because I am going to build an anemone+clownfish harem tank.(maybe a circus if I can manage)

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Octo Pulse 2/Octo Pulse 4 series. Built incredibly well and as powerful as one would need. They are able to be aimed unlike the Nero series and are cheaper than the Ecotech MP line. These powerheads are also compatible with most of the 0V controllers out there. Other than marketing, I don’t know why these aren’t more popular because they are top notch IME.

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! This is the I for on this product I was looking for. I was thinking of starting off with 1 and buying just a second pump later on. Then put one on each side of my 4 ft tank. I think my harem tank might enjoy that.
Do you know if they have any nem guards? Because I am going to build an anemone+clownfish harem tank.(maybe a circus if I can manage)
Thats my plan as well, I have one gyre and am getting another on a (hopefully) black friday deal. And yes they come with mesh covers. My nem sits right over the gyre, to the point of touching the gyre on low flow. It has never gotten torn/sucked in from it, and it must like it there since its been there for months now.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my MP40 because it keeps wires out of my display. I like it also because it's easy to take apart and clean when a crab or shrimp molt inevitably gets sucked into it. I also don't like my MP40. I had to get a big ugly guard for it because it has openings that are too big to keep my fish and inverts safe. Every day I hope someone comes up with an elegant replacement guard that has smaller openings on the front as well as the sides.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eco-Techs? Naw... I've seen far too many ads for people selling "dry-sides" or desperately looking for "wet-sides". If you have a problem with seeing wiring in your tank, hide your pumps in your rockwork.

Tunze Stream 3 - replacement parts are readily available, they are Apex controllable as well as Tunze controllable, and there is an incredible 5 year warranty for purchasers. The impeller also uses a new technology that 'floats' them - no wear and tear here. Tunze is a leading manufacturer - why are there no Chinese knock-offs of the impeller design? Beats me...

Sicce - their newer SDC powerheads are Sicce controllable as well as Apex controllable and they have yet another incredible 5 year warranty for purchasers (like the Tunze Stream3). FWIW, I've got two of the original XSteam powerheads in service since they first came out. I bought them because they also had a 5 year warranty. I've been running them uninterrupted since my original purchases way, way back when. I've done no maintenance on them (do as I say, not as I do). The only times they've stopped has been during a power outage and once when an Apex-Sicce cable got disconnected accidentally. They're basically set-it-and-forget-it.

Octo Pulse 4s - I have 4 in my 180. They come with their own controllers, but they are also Apex compatible. I bought them used at a good price. They had great reviews and turned over a lot of water. I don't know if CoralVue has spare parts available for them. Like the 2 aforementioned Sicces, I've done no maintenance on them (do as I say, not as I do). They're also set-it-and-forget-it.

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're basic, but the hydro koralias are hard to beat. They just work.
I would definitely say that for the older 2G ones, I loved those! Then I tried the 3G ones when I got a bigger tank and I was really disappointed. They didn’t move nearly as much water as they were rated for, and the inside cup magnet mount completely rusted out within 6 months, making them unusable. Such a bummer.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eco-Techs? Naw... I've seen far too many ads for people selling "dry-sides" or desperately looking for "wet-sides". If you have a problem with seeing wiring in your tank, hide your pumps in your rockwork.

Tunze Stream 3 - replacement parts are readily available, they are Apex controllable as well as Tunze controllable, and there is an incredible 5 year warranty for purchasers. The impeller also uses a new technology that 'floats' them - no wear and tear here. Tunze is a leading manufacturer - why are there no Chinese knock-offs of the impeller design? Beats me...

Sicce - their newer SDC powerheads are Sicce controllable as well as Apex controllable and they have yet another incredible 5 year warranty for purchasers (like the Tunze Stream3). FWIW, I've got two of the original XSteam powerheads in service since they first came out. I bought them because they also had a 5 year warranty. I've been running them uninterrupted since my original purchases way, way back when. I've done no maintenance on them (do as I say, not as I do). The only times they've stopped has been during a power outage and once when an Apex-Sicce cable got disconnected accidentally. They're basically set-it-and-forget-it.

Octo Pulse 4s - I have 4 in my 180. They come with their own controllers, but they are also Apex compatible. I bought them used at a good price. They had great reviews and turned over a lot of water. I don't know if CoralVue has spare parts available for them. Like the 2 aforementioned Sicces, I've done no maintenance on them (do as I say, not as I do). They're also set-it-and-forget-it.
Would I need more then one of the tunze stream 3? If I put it on the backside of my tank by the overflow? (It’s a 4 ft long tank)
12D596D2-08D5-4258-8ADF-E963EE6FBAC9.jpeg

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bit fed up with spending on more expensive brands that end up being noisy out of the box or become noisy despite maintenance, i decided to give the Jebao slw10's a chance nice and quite and a year and a half of use later still great.....you don't always get what you pay for

Quite is an absolute must for my powerhead choice, if it is audible to us just image what the tank inhabitants are enduring 24/7

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40/ms and 2 Jebao mow22 WiFi and the Jebao are just as powerful and quieter a quite a bit bigger though but for a quarter of the price no brainer for me

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need more then one of the tunze stream 3? If I put it on the backside of my tank by the overflow? (It’s a 4 ft long tank)
12D596D2-08D5-4258-8ADF-E963EE6FBAC9.jpeg
A single stream 3 will be more than enough for a 4' tank. You'd probably run it around 50% max I'm guessing. I've got one on my 300 and it is a powerful pump. Really nice technology and easy to care for. The 5 year warranty is amazing.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze.

Quiet... quality build... run forever... quiet... run forever... did I mention quiet? :D

Because of the depth of my tank (90cm) it is difficult for me to reach and remove a couple of the Tunzes (I have four 6255s and two 6155s) I have not been able to clean them since the tank got wet (October 2019) and they are running perfectly. I'm sure they would run better if they were cleaned but at the moment I'm in no rush as they are consistent and powerful, providing great flow.

I must say I have never owned any other brand so don't have first hand experience with others. However, in researching for my current tank, I visited lots of large tanks that were running different makes and models of flow pumps and the ones running Tunzes were consistently the quietest ones.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had sooooooo many power heads. From the WAV, maxspect, Hydor, Ecotech, Jebao, AI, Sicce etc. I have to say my favorite and the ones I default to every time is Ecotech MP line.

The fact that the cord isn’t in the tank is an amazing feature. It’s low profile and sleek intank design is awesome. It moves a ton of water. For me Mobius has worked great. And I have great experiences with customer support.

They are expensive without a doubt. But it’s one of those you get what you pay for situation. And I think it’s worth it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs. I am running 7 now in all 3 sizes. The oldest was made in November 2011. I have used Maxspect gyre Xf250 and 350 pairs, Tunze, Jebao and a couple of other brands in boxes here.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Jebao's have lasted too long??? so now you want to know what to replaced them with??

how about some new Jebao's? With the new upgraded controller and APP/wifi control.
Don't do the new ones I just tried. No fun at all.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back