Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which triggerfish is your favorite?

My favorites are clown triggers!

clown trigger4.jpg

I also like bluelines, and undulates.

bluelinetrigger.jpg

undulate.jpg

I would love to get a pair of Cross hatch triggers too, but they're a bit outside the tank budget for a while.

Crossshatch3.jpg

clown trigger4.jpg

bluelinetrigger.jpg

undulate.jpg

Crossshatch3.jpg
Clown and Niger

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humuhumunukunukuāpua‘a (or reef triggerfish)

reef-triggerfish_620.jpg

Wow, awesome colors. Mine isn't nearly as vibrant.

IMG_0255.JPG

(and still shy when I get really close to the glass, so I still can't get closer pictures)

Which makes me wonder, I know they can change color to some degree based on mood, but I take it some coloration, like the fin bands, is genetic, right? Or do they become more vibrant with age? Or is it sex-dependent? I thought you couldn't tell the sex from the genotype, but I really don't know.

On-topic:

My favorites are, obviously :p, the Humu rectangulus and the Hawaiian Black Trigger. My husband prefers the Picasso humu, which caused quite some debate on which one to get :rolleyes:

Last edited:

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy for me! the humu trigger or what people also mistakenly call the Picasso trigger, the humu trigger is the slowest growing organism on the planet. its also the only species of trigger fish to naturally hunt down and eat small fish for food in the wild.

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easy for me! the humu trigger or what people also mistakenly call the Picasso trigger.

Uhm, no.

Both the Lagoon trigger (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) and the Reef trigger (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) share the same Hawaiian name: Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. Both have other common names, including Picasso for aculeatus and Rectangular for rectangulus. Actually, in Hawaii, the reef triggerfish is more commonly refered to as "humu" and when people say "humu" I've always heard them mean the rectangulus, never the Picasso (which doesn't mean it's not used and I just haven't met those) - but maybe that's only because it's the state fish.

Technically, "humu trigger" isn't a name, it's a mix of the two common names.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months in the 29g. I went into one of my LFS and for $20 I picked up this 1" clown trigger. He out grew this tank fairly fast, but he was so cute while in there

Scott Hawaii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown for sure! They have their own personality. Mine will let you pet him. You can do anything to him if he knows food is coming. He reminds me of a lab dog.

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Niger and a Assasi Trigger. The Assasi Trigger takes the cake for me.

jmccown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
queen trigger is my favorite by far. I had one about 10 years ago that was 18-20" long. Extremely aggressive.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get my niger a buddy, he was going stir crazy since the clown and blueline didn't make it through velvet. the niger pulled through with 2 rounds of cupramine. He was building huge mounds of substrate and wrestling with the jeweled eel for fun, he was getting all torn up, but that's what they do. Now he has a buddy to wrestle with and pal around.

The picasso definitely has one of the best personalities, he follows me around and hams it up big time, and I've only had him a couple of months. Love the snout on these guys when they get to this size, he's about 5".

020.jpg

Back