What is your favorite Trigger?

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by soggytees, May 7, 2015.

1. Darryl

Darryl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Clown and niger

IMG_4751.JPG

2. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Picaso Trigger! I had one grow to 4" in my previous tank. Bit me every time I put my hand in the tank!;Rage

3. patoko878

patoko878 Member

Picasso and niger. Both co-existing but Picasso is the boss

4. patoko878

patoko878 Member

And snails don’t last long

5. Darryl

Darryl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Catskill Reef Member Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Niger and clown both very happy and friendly and there both 4 years old living happy in my reef

IMG_5512.JPG

Jlentz and lion king like this.
  6. lion king

lion king Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Depends on the day who's my favorite, he was just looking especially snappy today.

011.jpg

Maritimer likes this.
  7. Killamanjaro

Killamanjaro Active Member

1- Niger Trigger
    2- Hawaiian Black Trigger
    3- Blue Throat Trigger

Sadly I don't think I'll ever own any apart from maybe the blue throat trigger :(

8. FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim Shark Advocates Intl R2R Supporter West Palm Beach Reefer Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

Do you hve any SPS FRAGS or LPS Duncans and that Niger will not touch them?

9. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

I have the same, a Clown and Niger. They've been together about 21 months with no issues. A few times recently however, I've had to break up a fight with the Niger going after the clown. Not sure what's caused it other than getting rid of a nasty Emporator that stirred it up with everyone. 2 incidents I've witnessed in the past 3 weeks.

10. lion king

Niger trying to take the crown, there always has to be a king. In aggressive tanks it's always hard to know when it goes too far. I have a blueline in the tank with those 2, he's obviously the big bad boss of the tank. He's a nasty piece of work, he bites the glass when I'm hanging in front of the tank and he's hungry. I have to beat him away when I'm feeding the eel, he latched onto a shrimp once and I pulled him completely out of the water; he would not let go=I gave in and gave him the shrimp.

001.jpg

FredsNJReef likes this.
  11. soffutt

soffutt Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

From what you said your tank sounds awesome. Would you mind expanding on the tank detail and inhabitants?

12. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

That Blueline is stunning! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that's had to use something to "persuade" a trigger to let me feed my eel too.

I have a purple tang that's been in QT for 6 weeks. He's coming out of copper in a few days, and then I'll see if I can fatten him up as well as the blueface angel he's been in there with before adding to the DT. At the moment my 240 has the clown trigger, niger trigger, a dogface puffer, and a large snowflake eel. It needs more fish, and hopefully the 2 new additions will change the dynamic. I also plan on adding a wrasse, I'm kind of leaning towards a lunare but would welcome suggestions. I want a colorful wrasse that can stand up to the big guys but not turn the place into a war zone.

13. lion king

It's a 180 fowlr, this is a transitional tank for some of them; they will eventually outgrow it. The tank consist of a clown, blueline, and niger triggers; a passer angel and a jeweled moray eel. I've raised them all together from an inch or two, the eel was about 7" when i got him. This is the third batch of baby triggers I've raised over the years; it's one of the funnest things I've done in the hobby. I like sparsely stocked tanks with select tankmates, trust me this line up is plenty entertaining.

soffutt likes this.
  14. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Valuable Member

Based on looks, the Queen Trigger and Crosshatch Trigger. Would never, ever, get a Queen or Undulated because of their extreme aggression. Would definitely love a Crosshatch though.

As far as personality, the Blue Throat or Picasso/Huma Huma. Most personable fish I've ever owned.

15. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Active Member

Question, my favorite is probably the Picasso trigger, do any of you have them in Reef Tanks? I really want one for my reef but am curious if it's possible. My CUC consists of an Urchin, Brittle Starfish, and a Cucumber. Also how would it do with a Dwarf Lionfish?

16. lion king

Not a good idea, any pointy face trigger will not only likely eat your cuc but will at some point will destroy your reef. These triggers can be very destructive by moving, crunchy, eating, tasting, or just chewing up and spitting out bits of coral and even rock. The only success stories you hear are short lived and usually when the fish is very small. Crosshatch and bluejaws are really the only triggers get a good grade in a reef, and these guys are just not the same as a humu in personality, nigers to a lesser extent but still apt to be destructive as they mature.

17. AnakinReefWalker

AnakinReefWalker Active Member

18. Phlynamjax

Phlynamjax Member

Clown trigger for sure.

19. tkiry1

tkiry1 Well-Known Member

Just got this guy!![​IMG]

locito277 and Maritimer like this.
  20. n21benson

n21benson Member

The humuhumunukunukuāpua‘a (or reef triggerfish)

reef-triggerfish_620.jpg

siniang and Maritimer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted