What is your favorite Trigger?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to do a species agressive tank around a picasso and i swear my little spiny puffer may have even more personality than my picasso....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humuhumunukunukuāpua‘a (or reef triggerfish)

reef-triggerfish_620.jpg

Nice rectangulus displaying awesome color. A very under rated trigger; a good looking fish with the bad boy trigger personality, but generally plays well with others.

AnakinReefWalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Clown Trigger (Wish I could keep him in my reef, not concerned about CUC, but I'm worried it'll kill my small fish)
2)Blue Throat - Awesome coloration AND reef safe, can't beat that
3) Humu Picasso Triggers - amazing fish, saw one while snorkeling in Hawaii, it was gorgeous (highly debating if I should get this for my reef or a bluethroat)

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger force is strong with you, Anakin. :)

Please consider the blue throat for your reef. I’ve hovered over Hawaiian reefs with a full SCUBA tank, and watched humus tear into colonies of SPS while nipping at smaller fish. I’ve even had a humu get real close and seemingly try to nip at my cheek, right under my mask, when buoyancy got me too close to a large rock.

I’ve had humus in previous tanks with similar demeanor’d fish and eels, with occasional soft coral at most. I’ve currently got a 2-inch humu in a 50 gallon hex QT, awaiting my setup of a 90 gallon FOWLR. Although she’d look great growing up in our 100 gallon DT, I’m not in the business of feeding frags to fish.

Enjoy the view whichever way you choose...mahalo!

AnakinReefWalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger force is strong with you, Anakin. :)

Please consider the blue throat for your reef. I’ve hovered over Hawaiian reefs with a full SCUBA tank, and watched humus tear into colonies of SPS while nipping at smaller fish. I’ve even had a humu get real close and seemingly try to nip at my cheek, right under my mask, when buoyancy got me too close to a large rock.

I’ve had humus in previous tanks with similar demeanor’d fish and eels, with occasional soft coral at most. I’ve currently got a 2-inch humu in a 50 gallon hex QT, awaiting my setup of a 90 gallon FOWLR. Although she’d look great growing up in our 100 gallon DT, I’m not in the business of feeding frags to fish.

Enjoy the view whichever way you choose...mahalo!

Upon further consideration, I'll get a Blue Throat, Humus are gorgeous but i've got many small fish in my tank, one day when I can setup my own FOWLR the Humu will def. be on the list! Also a quick question for the experienced trigger experts, if I buy a male and a female blue throat, and they are not sold as a pair (I buy male and female separately) will they pair up in my tank? Or is that not guaranteed?

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Clown Trigger (Wish I could keep him in my reef, not concerned about CUC, but I'm worried it'll kill my small fish)
2)Blue Throat - Awesome coloration AND reef safe, can't beat that
3) Humu Picasso Triggers - amazing fish, saw one while snorkeling in Hawaii, it was gorgeous (highly debating if I should get this for my reef or a bluethroat)
I got the Blue and Humus both. They pal around together. Fun to watch.
No guarantee that the Blues will pair up.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon further consideration, I'll get a Blue Throat, Humus are gorgeous but i've got many small fish in my tank, one day when I can setup my own FOWLR the Humu will def. be on the list! Also a quick question for the experienced trigger experts, if I buy a male and a female blue throat, and they are not sold as a pair (I buy male and female separately) will they pair up in my tank? Or is that not guaranteed?

Make sure the identified female is over 4", I've seen identified females actually be immature males not displaying colors on several occasions. I say this because if you end up with 2 males you may have a problem, seems under 4" it's a risk.

My pair, the female is on her 2nd husband. I bonded a pair purchased individually in qt, they were tight. The 1st male jumped when I forgot to close the feeding door one night. I put added male and the female took to him fine. For the longest time they were more like really good friends, now of late they are pretty tight. They will usually bond or at worse be indifferent, I've never seen any aggression between the males and females.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody try and a crosshatch, bluethroat trigger and sargussum Trigger all at same time.. Crosshatch and bluethroat are the biggest at like 7 inches and sargussum is at 5 inches.. I threw in a pinktail trigger just too spread out aggression at first... I have a 265 fish only with about 600 gallons of total water.. Any experience or am I going to lose this... So far so good though.. The crosshatch will snap a little at sargussum not the bluethroat...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown trigger. Tons of attitude and just handsome.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These triggers are so funny.. They love this ship.. Crosshatch has entire middle and sargussum has the upper deck.. Lol...
55840a01a76fcce19ca5e2c1a7e52b70.jpg

Elude82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huma Huma by a mile! Triggers are my favorite, but so far I think Humas have the most personality hands down.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns probably my favorite. But I currently have a pair of blue jaws that I like.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BlueLine Trigger.. Crosshatch is my favorite...
cc748b7352a790396aa70b0ebe6ee690.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back