lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG

Picked up this MONSTER blue line trigger last week. By far my favorite fish I've ever owned.

I'm not sure what you know about these guys, but keep a close eye on him. I see clowns and anemone's in the background, that usually doesn't prove to be a good long term bet. The blueline is arguably one of the most aggressive triggers out there, a very large aquarium and other aggressive tankmates are usually where these guys fit, and even then I've seen them dispatch many.

What size is he now, at 5-6" they start to get pretty nasty.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Gary, my Picasso, since 2003 and Al Roker, my Niger, since probably about 2009. Gary is by far, my favorite fish. He just seems smart....like he’s thinking about what he’s doing. When I got Al, he was half the size of Gary. Now he’s twice the size of Gary.

4c2ae7e6918b8fd7f0b8c3dd7597d2c6.jpg

Here’s Al (and yes he bites me.....and yes, he draws blood):
4e921f8a852209ea299fba6a4873a071.jpg

Lukeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you know about these guys, but keep a close eye on him. I see clowns and anemone's in the background, that usually doesn't prove to be a good long term bet. The blueline is arguably one of the most aggressive triggers out there, a very large aquarium and other aggressive tankmates are usually where these guys fit, and even then I've seen them dispatch many.

What size is he now, at 5-6" they start to get pretty nasty.
He's about 7 inches I believe. Yeah I'm aware of their reputation. I've wanted one of these guys for a long time. I had never seen one this big so I had to get him. I'm gonna start moving his tankmates a little at a time and gonna let him have this tank to himself and let him grow out. Btw does anyone know what blue lines growth rate is? Anyone here had big one like over 10inches?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Tail, Sargassum Trigger

No Love for my favorite??? RED TAIL TRIGGER!!! They are an amazing fish IMO. The gray they have is so beautiful and for me they are my favorite.. Don't have one now but I've been trying to get a juvenile for a while, hard to find in the 2-2.5 inch range. not the crosshatch that people call a red tail but the original red tail. Sargassum Trigger
Us too! We can hand feed and she will swim into my husbands hand and let him pick her up! She had a wound we treated and she got use to being held and doesn’t mind being picked up! So nice and friendly fish!

704C015D-DC6C-4DE2-B621-52A7A9393591.jpeg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have guineafowl puffer and porc, plus a mappa, and reticulated puffer.. Probably going to get arrested by the fish police.. Lol.. I understand I will have to lose one or two as they get big and upgrade to 265 or 300...
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG
OMG, I lov the puffers and the triggers together! Hope you can keep them! We had an awesome mappa. Now have three triggers with procupine puffer!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Gary, my Picasso, since 2003 and Al Roker, my Niger, since probably about 2009. Gary is by far, my favorite fish. He just seems smart....like he’s thinking about what he’s doing. When I got Al, he was half the size of Gary. Now he’s twice the size of Gary.

4c2ae7e6918b8fd7f0b8c3dd7597d2c6.jpg

Here’s Al (and yes he bites me.....and yes, he draws blood):
4e921f8a852209ea299fba6a4873a071.jpg

Have those 2 been a reef the whole time, I've never seen them last in a reef that long without causing havoc. And yeah nigers are one of the fastest growing triggers while picassos are one the slowest. That's the pair I have going right now.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a male & female in qt and so far the female is much more outgoing than the male, already figuring out what feeding door brings and coming up when I approach ... Beautiful, very cool and always hungry... Bonnie & Clyde..... Also very peaceful with the Royal Gramma, Midas Blenny and Purple Queen Anthias in there with them.

ABD8070C-0E17-42A2-9434-84042F5F6A6E.jpeg

B9B39BAD-F803-420F-8CAC-92D1D3E66584.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I post here, since I know the true trigger enthusiast would come. So my 180g now houses a full grown thick as my arm 2' jeweled eel, a 6" niger, and a 5" picasso. This tank had been the home of my clown and blueline that I raised from an inch, they died in a velvet outbreak, resistant velvet that I initially cured then it rebounded with a vengeance. The niger took 2 rounds of cupramine and survived, the eel was never effected. To stem the niger's madness I gave him a buddy trigger to torment, the picasso. He was going stir crazy tearing up the tank and fighting with the jeweled, and getting the crap beat out of himself.

The plan for the blueline was to go to my friends 1000g, he was super bummed; this was going to be home for the clown. I do like clowns and have thought about adding one to the mix now. 3 triggers and an the eel would be full capacity. This is my dilemma, one, that I really don't like putting 5-6" triggers right from the ocean into my tanks. I've found better success growing them up. So a 5" clown trigger right from the ocean could prove to be a beast. Second, I really would like an uncommon addition, clowns really are on every corner. The niger is belligerent but not really Hannibal territory, and the picasso a pussycat; but the eel is a different story and they need to hold their own.

So, please post pics of your uncommon trigger, and give me some ideas. I like the sufflamen bursa, and the titan. Yeah I know, most of you only know the folklore of the titan. In reality if you get a small one 4-5", they grow almost painfully slow, on the order of the picasso. The only one I've known in person was 6-7" the last time I saw him, and his aggression was no where near the queen, blueline, undy, or even clown that size. So what do you think, I have resources to rehome the titan if he ever out grows the 180, I literally saw my friends grow about 3" in 5 years, and believe me this guy feeds his fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do as I say, not as I do; had someone ask me about putting a 3" clown trigger in with a 6" niger with an attitude, I would have said "not a good idea". I had been looking for a while, and you know you just never find the perfect size, I was only seeing these 3" guys. So I prayed he wouldn't be fubared. Initially I was shocked, the niger could care less; then as the night went on, things started to get contentious. The niger even keeping him in a corner at one point. So the next morning, clowny was still in one piece; no nips, tears, bruises, or chunks missing. By the evening everyone was swimming freely, I guess a little reverse psychology worked here; "I'm such a little guy, I know you are the boss, Boss".

016.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back