What is your favorite Trigger?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours is, the Clown. Back in 1995 we bought our first trigger. He was almost too small apx 2.5", but a local store was breeding brine shrimp, so we bought a qt a week and soaked in selcon and put a piece of clam on a lettace clip for him to chomp on. After that I hand fed him and we became buds ! Years later my 6 yr old niece brough over a small basket that all her classmates weeved at school for May Day. She always loved feeding him, so she asked if she could place a clam in the basket and said yes.

The basket fell down to the bottom of the 200g tank, and he didn't know what to think. After a few minutes he pulled it out and ate it. After about 3 weeks he would pick up the baskets handle when hungry, and swim back and fourth accross the tank. I'd put food in it and he would take in in his tunnel, away from the other fish. lol He was so,.....funny. when he wanted cleaned, he'd turned sideways, turn white so the wrasse could clean him, then flick his tail telling the wrasse his service was no longer needed.

Anyway, at 13 yrs old he got glaucoma in one eye, then the other, then quit eating. We put him out of his misery and burried hi in the garden. We still miss him today....

Once we get the in wall 125g tank done, we'll get another Clown Trigger, their funny, smart and handsome.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy for me... the humu trigger Rhinecanthus aculeatus. Ever since I saw one in my uncle's tank in 1995 I have absolutely loved them. Couldn't believe the pattern and colors. I've had a few of them and recently bought my first trigger since 2004 (a humu). He has a 40 gallon "lagoon" to himself... it's plumbed in with my 300 reef. I may put him in the actual reef someday but just don't want him to eat the snails. :0)
More generally, everything in the Rhinecanthus genus is remarkable to me.

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t pick just one!

My top 3 are the Niger, Clown, and Picasso. Due to my tank being a reef, Picasso and clown are not an option. However I love the simple blue and hints of green and red on the Niger. My Niger is kept with maroon clowns, dwarf lions, chromis, wrasses, a blenny, and a variety of tangs. Even added a cleaner shrimp last night and he’s fine! But mine is still a juvi, so I can’t speak for the adults.... however, in my experience as of so far they are 100% reef safe.

Though my Niger tried to pick on my naso tang, the naso did not put up with it for 1 second!

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size- 6-1:2" Large hard to find Christmas Island Kiri Triggerfish. Eating pellets well. .jpg
i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd ask if some triggers like the kiri/greeni triggerfish are fine with clown fish like maroons or the regular natural clown fish (NOT trigger clowns) as it looks like there is one in the tank above. i just purchased a beautiful one but i'm scared i wont be able to have the clownfish in with him and other fish i enjoy. would like to know what i should expect. also, i'm a sucker for sea stars, coco worms and clams or oysters...i'm guessing the coco worms, clams and oysters are off the list now? as well as potentially my red ornamental shrimp...blood shrimp? cant remember what they are called. any advice, i'd love to hear it. kind of hesitating after hearing that triggers can be really aggressive....i dont have a FOWLR and would love to have corals. I have a montipora right now and plan to get more coral. i should also point out that i have two tanks, one with a frogfish that i could delagate things that are too big for him to eat to go to that tank. but i'd rather not since this one is in my living room and larger.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd ask if some triggers like the kiri/greeni triggerfish are fine with clown fish like maroons or the regular natural clown fish (NOT trigger clowns) as it looks like there is one in the tank above. i just purchased a beautiful one but i'm scared i wont be able to have the clownfish in with him and other fish i enjoy. would like to know what i should expect. also, i'm a sucker for sea stars, coco worms and clams or oysters...i'm guessing the coco worms, clams and oysters are off the list now? as well as potentially my red ornamental shrimp...blood shrimp? cant remember what they are called. any advice, i'd love to hear it. kind of hesitating after hearing that triggers can be really aggressive....i dont have a FOWLR and would love to have corals. I have a montipora right now and plan to get more coral. i should also point out that i have two tanks, one with a frogfish that i could delagate things that are too big for him to eat to go to that tank. but i'd rather not since this one is in my living room and larger.

I have crosshatch sargassum and bluethroat triggers that are in same family... They will be ok with you're clowns... Imo.. I have fish only so your other questions I can't answer....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With the clown being in the tank first, it stands a good chance but : Do keep the trigger well fed - DO NOT OVERFEED, provide hiding for trigger who cares a lot about where it can hide, and bear in mind- ANY FISH THAT CAN FIT IN ANOTHER FISH'S MOUTH SOONER OR LATER WILL.

if ITS A SEBAE OR MAROON CLOWN, they generally can fend for themselves well !!

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have crosshatch sargassum and bluethroat triggers that are in same family... They will be ok with you're clowns... Imo.. I have fish only so your other questions I can't answer....
are these family of triggers not nearly as destructive as the others? i've heard that, just want to make sure!! would you be concerned if i had a 3 year old? could he potentially lose part of his finger if he tries to feed him? why is everyone sticking their hands in the tank to feed triggers??? lol. does this family jump out too???

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the clown being in the tank first, it stands a good chance but : Do keep the trigger well fed - DO NOT OVERFEED, provide hiding for trigger who cares a lot about where it can hide, and bear in mind- ANY FISH THAT CAN FIT IN ANOTHER FISH'S MOUTH SOONER OR LATER WILL.

if ITS A SEBAE OR MAROON CLOWN, they generally can fend for themselves well !!
he's eating pellets according to live aquaria. do you think you'd feed like twice a day? they can overeat?? hmmmmm. i've never had to worry about that before except my frogfish (different tank).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
are these family of triggers not nearly as destructive as the others? i've heard that, just want to make sure!! would you be concerned if i had a 3 year old? could he potentially lose part of his finger if he tries to feed him? why is everyone sticking their hands in the tank to feed triggers??? lol. does this family jump out too???
I had bluethroats and yes- they got along with my perculas

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My guys are passive... My bluethroat is a little crazy he can jump a little bit..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
he's eating pellets according to live aquaria. do you think you'd feed like twice a day? they can overeat?? hmmmmm. i've never had to worry about that before except my frogfish (different tank).
Assure they get meaty foods like mysis shrimp, krill, rods or LRS food, clam and similar

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size- 6-1:2" Large hard to find Christmas Island Kiri Triggerfish. Eating pellets well. .jpg
In my reef I have a Sargassum trigger, Clown trigger and I just added an Assasi, they get along fine with the other 11 fish, 2 of them being a gold stripe maroon and a tomato clown. I have a clam and they dont even look at it. My hermits only come out once the lights are out. My tank is full of all kinds of corals and they dont munch on any of them. Coco worms would probably be ok, ornamental shrimp probably will get munched. Only way to find out for sure is to try it.

20190422_114211.jpg
20190422_114152.jpg
20190422_114059.jpg
20190422_114104.jpg
20190422_114120.jpg
20190316_132616.jpg

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my reef I have a Sargassum trigger, Clown trigger and I just added an Assasi, they get along fine with the other 11 fish, 2 of them being a gold stripe maroon and a tomato clown. I have a clam and they dont even look at it. My hermits only come out once the lights are out. My tank is full of all kinds of corals and they dont munch on any of them. Coco worms would probably be ok, ornamental shrimp probably will get munched. Only way to find out for sure is to try it.

20190422_114211.jpg
20190422_114152.jpg
20190422_114059.jpg
20190422_114104.jpg
20190422_114120.jpg
20190316_132616.jpg
wow that's sooooo awesome you are able to keep those triggers in there!! i'd love a clown or a picasso....but definetly love my inverts!!! i guess i could try....would he beeline to it if he sees it coming in like its food or something??? im reading things about poisonous bites...that right??

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: i do know that assasis are not picassos but they seem similar temperments!!

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190422_114211.jpg
20190422_114152.jpg
20190422_114059.jpg
20190422_114104.jpg
20190422_114120.jpg
20190316_132616.jpg
what do you feed your triggers????!! my thinking was that if i fed it pellets it wouldn't want to eat the other things. but if i feed i frozen clams wouldn't it one day decide it wants a fresh oyster (my pet thorny oysters??) Anyway-- wondering if they get used to what i feed them and that it comes into the tank its food and leaves the rest alone or if i get them used to this mysis and clam and pellet and krill diet they will have a taste for more live foods!

do you keep specific coral out of your tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT looking tank, how long has the clown trigger been in the tank, how big was he when you put him in, and how big is he now. The Assassi does have a similar diposition as the other rhin.... genus triggers, I know they do usually come in larger, so it will be interesting to see as time goes how he fairs. I wish you luck, but as I have said many times, it's a 1 in 1000 chance it will work long term.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's sooooo awesome you are able to keep those triggers in there!! i'd love a clown or a picasso....but definetly love my inverts!!! i guess i could try....would he beeline to it if he sees it coming in like its food or something??? im reading things about poisonous bites...that right??
If you add something the trigger is gonna think is food I would do it late at night while the fish is sleeping. No idea on poisons.

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT looking tank, how long has the clown trigger been in the tank, how big was he when you put him in, and how big is he now. The Assassi does have a similar diposition as the other rhin.... genus triggers, I know they do usually come in larger, so it will be interesting to see as time goes how he fairs. I wish you luck, but as I have said many times, it's a 1 in 1000 chance it will work long term.
my first time recalling you saying 1 in 1000 chance....what are you referring to?? that those triggers will work in a reef? or something like greeni/kiri would work?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you feed your triggers????!! my thinking was that if i fed it pellets it wouldn't want to eat the other things. but if i feed i frozen clams wouldn't it one day decide it wants a fresh oyster (my pet thorny oysters??) Anyway-- wondering if they get used to what i feed them and that it comes into the tank its food and leaves the rest alone or if i get them used to this mysis and clam and pellet and krill diet they will have a taste for more live foods!

do you keep specific coral out of your tank?
I feed them various varieties of Hikari frozen cubes, half clams, and Hikari marine A and seaweed extreme pellets. The frozen I feed everyday and pellets once a week or so. I have all kinds of corals shrooms, zoas, lps, montis, and lots of Acros.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back