What is your reefing unpopular opinion?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I also think people on this thread don't know if their "likes" mean they agree with the opinion posted or they simply agree that it's unpopular.

Last edited:

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Maybe a hot take but that corals have become "pop cultured" like who has the most expensive Nike's in the crowd. They have become another thing to "flex" with. Like what the heck is a "bitcoin zoanthid". These basement operated coral websites are just making names up at this point and slapping on a price tag higher than the next.

2. Brings me to #2, your single head $1000 torch coral in a nano tank costs more than your entire setup and will probably end up dead anyway, should have just put that money into a bigger setup. It's like putting a set of $6,000 wheels on a $1,500.00 bucket.

3. Most of us have a reef tank to compliment our homes as a part of our home decoration and don't want to or have a space to setup a janky looking QT next to it.

4. SPS are boring, I get enjoyment/relaxation out of moving corals that mesmerize me.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps are not boring. The problem is that most cannot grow them past a soft ball sized colony and beyond. Something about even the most boring acro that we had decades ago become something special when it is the size of a soccer ball inside a glass tank. How in the heck did we manage to do that? Amazing.

Moving corals aka softies/LPS are rookie material :)

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
LEDs are overrated. Halides are still King.

IG tanks are rarely any good. Anyone can stock a tank with LPS and fluoresce them with blue LEDs.

Most YouTubers will lead you down the wrong path.

Old school methods will produce better long term results.

100% agree with all of these points. Especially the part about halides.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘ThE wAlL’ rockwork is better than some overly fancy design, especially with the wrasse and tangs.
They NEED that extra rockwork (It’s better if there’s gaps like caves in the rock structure) my 5 fairy wrasse all use the rockwork and they truly show how much they need it, even my Halichoeres chose rocks over the sand to hide in (They sleep in the sand though)

Also, I don’t know how unpopular this actually is however:
You aren’t an expert from keeping one ‘expert level’ fish alive for a year, yes you could be classed as an expert for keeping it alive for its whole life span but that’s mainly from the years of experience in the hobby instead

Last edited:

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of really ugly tanks out there and not enough people being honest about it.
I seen a hobbyist that keeps 2 large hideous clay pots in their tank. Some people either lie and say they look cool...or just don't comment like me lol

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha i once told a neighbour several years ago about starting up a freshwater tank and need some kind of amnonia source from food,amnonian or even peeing in the tank works but never imagined he would do it lol
He told me a week or so later how he stood on a chair and took aim into the tank ( lucky he wasnt a she ^_^ ) but said i didn't expect you do that but well ummm yeah ok and why the hell not pee in something and pour in lol
He would be able to say I pee on it if he pours it! He wanted to have a story to share

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you drink RO/DI water?
In fact I do. I live on well water. Don’t have to worry about chlorine but other baddies. It’s ok. Everytime I see my nitrates and phosphates drop too low, instead of dosing, I just unzip figure out the angle and pee in it again. People laugh but it saves money on dosing.

garbermatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of quarantining fish, just soak their food in Selcon every day and it’ll get rid of the Ich sores as long as you keep doing it. Also it’ll also brighten the fish’s colors.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back