What just happened?

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by TheEngineer, Oct 12, 2017.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

I just got back from a 4 day trip (don't all bad stories start this way?) at midnight last night. As soon as I walked in the door I smelled it... that strong ocean scent. Something was clearly wrong...

I kicked on the light and my red planet is completely bleached, the tricolor is extremely pale and my birdsnest is halfway bleached. I just started using an alk doser and assumed it overdosed the tank. I pulled the doser and went to bed.

This morning I checked the alk and it's 9.6 dKH. A little higher than I'm shooting for, but it only went from 8.6 to 9.6 over a 4 day period. Didn't test calc yet, but it was 430 when I left. It typically drops about 5-10 per day, so it should be fine. I added carbon, but I have no idea what happened or what to do next...

Help!

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
    Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

I put a poly filter pad in there last week. I just pulled it out. It hasn't changed color at all. Only one fish and she's alive and well. Saw the two crabs last night. Nothing large in there that could have died.

3. Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel Well-Known Member

Would you be able to give some more test results such as Nitrate,Phosphate,Nitrite, Ammonia. Also Good choice of running Carbon.

Mal11224 and Dsnakes like this.
  4. Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel Well-Known Member

What type of lights,Intensity,Duration,How big is the Tank. ALl general info to help us undersatnd your system.

Mal11224 and Dsnakes like this.
  5. daelie

daelie Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Can't see it being the alk, 1dkH over 4 days is really nothing, some people dose that much in one big daily dose to keep up with demand. Did your tank overheat or the lights get left on while you were gone?

6. TheEngineer

Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: Honestly haven't tested since my cycle
    Ammonia: 0
    SG: 35ppt
    Temp: 77-77.5F
    Lights:
    Switched to a Radion G4 a few weeks ago. I run SPS AB+ at 60%.
    Lights run 7:30A-7:00P
    Tank: 50g cube

7. TheEngineer

My wife didn't say anything about the lights being stuck on. I use the internal controller on the Radion. I don't see anything wild on the temp or the pH.

Temperature.png PH.png

8. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

What light did you switch from?

9. TheEngineer

I switched to running outside air on my skimmer on 10/8. You can see the daily pH swing has condensed a bit.

10. TheEngineer

Kessil A360 running at 90%

11. 3mm3

3mm3 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you have an intensity increase that may have contributed to bleaching

Mal11224 likes this.
  12. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Are the SPS bleaching or is it RTN/STN? Do you have any algae issues or cyano/diatoms outbreaks?

Mal11224 and TheEngineer like this.
  13. TheEngineer

In theory, the jump was fairly small. I based the numbers off of the BRS numbers. I also measured with my lux meter. I went from 25,000 lux at the water surface to 28,000 with the radion.

I don't know. I'll post a pic.... Yes I have algae issues. I have some spirolina as well. None of the corals have seemed affected by the algae previously. Its mostly bubble algae, but I see some new turf algae growth since before I left.

14. Robsk

Robsk Member

You seem to have some great information on your tank. Any metals? Something rusting? Electrical current in the waters? Otherwise, I would be inclined with the data you shared that the acclimation to the lights might be the problem. Sorry about it all. Coming home from trips to upside down tanks is no fun.

TheEngineer likes this.
  15. TheEngineer

47688237-28F8-4659-9CBD-9C581B3F4D98.jpeg
    Iphone pic. Please ignore the zoas.... they're a lost cause...

16. TheEngineer

I had two tube clamps that were rusting. I took them off a couple weeks back and replaced them with plastic. I actually bought the poly filter pad just because I was worried about that.

17. TheEngineer

BAF5FEE8-50DF-4D54-A39A-EA7FF2F2437B.jpeg Same coral right before I left.

saltyfilmfolks and Mal11224 like this.
  18. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I see a few things that may have contributed. You were gone for four days and your nitrates are at zero, may have starved the corals. Not sure if you had someone adding nutrients to the tanks. Also, although your alk jumped 1 dkh, it is not known if it was a sudden jump to 9.6. If that is the case, then it may be your immediate issue. Also, noticed that your temp while you were gone fluctuated more than it did when you were home. May not be the main issue, but everything together may have cause thes RTN to occur. also, looking at your zoas, I'd say that nutrients is an issue.

19. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So sorry for your loss, that was a very good looking colony.

I'm leaning more towards the lights as others have suggested, Radions are super strong over a 50 gallon cube like that. But, I also am seeing more algae in the before and after pictures so you may have some nutrient issues and quick fluctuations in nitrates, phosphates, and alkalinity can stress SPS out and lead to RTN.

saltyfilmfolks and Mal11224 like this.
  20. KMench

KMench Active Member

Did the spectrum of the lights change at all?