What Keeps You in the Hobby?

My mafioso wrasses and CBB...
1746820724386.gif
 
Sunk cost. When you invested crazy money into the tank, and it doesn't look great or something goes horribly wrong...it's pretty demotivating to keep going. But you already spent the money, so it'll be a complete waste if you give up. But you also know how much it would cost to give it another go...but also not knowing if you can make it successful. Definition of insanity is keep doing the same thing and hoping a different outcome. I think this is the cycle of debating whether it is worth it...financially and time-wise...etc etc. But when you get some success, it's like such a great feeling...
 
I’ve spent my whole life around the ocean. As a kid, my mom would take me to the beach every day, and I was always fascinated by the vibrant life beneath the surface. The moment I was old enough, I earned my scuba diving license—it felt like the perfect way to connect with the reefs on a deeper level. Diving gives me a sense of harmony with the underwater world. I often find myself stopping in front of the tank just to check on a fish or admire a coral formation, making sure everything’s thriving. Even during tough times, like aiptasia or hair algae outbreaks, life always manages to flourish. I've had tanks completely crash, some even started leaking, and the tank of my dreams once split at the seams. Yet, no matter the setbacks, it always pulls me back in. I just can’t get enough of it.
 

We all hit bumps in the road—algae outbreaks, equipment fails, livestock losses—and sometimes the idea of tearing it all down feels very real. Lately, I’ve seen more than a few teardown threads, and I get it. After 13 years in the hobby, I’ve had seasons where my tank looked more like a green hair algae farm than a reef. Life gets crazy, maintenance gets missed, and burnout creeps in. But even when things aren’t picture-perfect, I still find joy in caring for what’s the fish and inverts that are thriving (some of which I definitely didn't plan for) and planning for the comeback. So what about you? What keeps you reefing—especially when it gets tough? Let’s encourage each other and celebrate the reasons we stick with it.
You, @revhtree and the wonderful community is what keeps me here. I have a tank vicariously through all of you :D
 
Sunk cost fallacy and enough disposable income. Also, I like looking at the pretty things.
 
Right now the fact I just spent what is for me a lot of money as I am going through a rough spot. To much just spent to quit but getting closer. I am just trying to reach the light on other side.
 
The money I have spent and the time I have invested is what keeps me in the hobby, don't get me wrong I love to look at my inhabitants and guest love to look at my tank but I've come to far to stop now lol
 
Lately I’m not sure as it’s been two disease outbreaks and tons of nuisance algae. I suppose it’s because my acros are living even though I haven’t done a water change or parameter check in 1 month.

Kind of been checked out a bit waiting for fallow to be over and for flux rx to kick in…,
a month? lol I do water changes every 6 or 7 months
 
''you cant win, you can't break even, and you can't quit...''
 
I love it all from the critters to the coral. I like getting small piece of coral getting it big then swapping it out for something new. I enjoy tinkering with and tweaking my tanks here and there. I mean there's days where I come home chuck some food in and barley watch them eat. But most days I hear are you still messing with your tank, from my wife :) She gets a little jealous of it, And when my tank is running top shelf and waters so clear the fish look like there floating in the air, makes you feel pretty good. Ive had fish since I won a gold fish at the fair by throwing a ping pong ball in a glass bowl. Later my uncle gave me a aquarium with chrome metal trim on all the edges it was a neat tank, I will always have a tank. Even when im old and grey Ill at least have a koi pond or something lol
The wonder of it all! My current tank is only a year and a half old, but every single day I am kneeling down looking into it deeply, and I never fail to find something new every time! It is a privilege to have a small section of the ocean right in our homes! The inhabitants are depending on our care, and I do my best to not let them down. Of course, sometimes I falter a bit, like skipping a weekend of water change duties, but for the most part, what keeps me in is the wonder and beauty of it all! It is a challenge that not just anyone can take on, and succeed!
 

We all hit bumps in the road—algae outbreaks, equipment fails, livestock losses—and sometimes the idea of tearing it all down feels very real. Lately, I’ve seen more than a few teardown threads, and I get it. After 13 years in the hobby, I’ve had seasons where my tank looked more like a green hair algae farm than a reef. Life gets crazy, maintenance gets missed, and burnout creeps in. But even when things aren’t picture-perfect, I still find joy in caring for what’s the fish and inverts that are thriving (some of which I definitely didn't plan for) and planning for the comeback. So what about you? What keeps you reefing—especially when it gets tough? Let’s encourage each other and celebrate the reasons we stick with i
Money... :downcast-face-with-sweat:
 
70076810335__9E4FEA27-D40B-49D5-AC01-962FDE4D0AC6.jpeg

First reef aquarium was a 55 gal in 1995. So 31 years and a lot to say. Pictured is one of my currently running 6 and soon to be 7 reef aquariums. The pearl bubble in the center is 30 years old, the regular pearl to the left bottom is 29 years old . Like many, it started with freshwater as a kid, small aquariums. Went to the beach here in Miami a lot as a kid so the salt in me was set early. After high school, became a lifeguard on the beach and got really involved with everything to do in the ocean. Scuba, Spearfishing, fishing , and marine tropical fish collecting. Around 1990, started first saltwater aquarium. Fish I collected, under gravel plenum, no live rock or skimmer, dead coral skeletons, once/month water changes using NSW.
This for about 5 years, then, I got hired by the Fire Department. In 1995, I walked into a newly established saltwater aquarium store, it was here that I saw a reef aquarium for the first time. Set up Berlin method, live rock, and skimmer with metal halide lighting. So I started questioning and learning how to set up a reef.
As mentioned, a 55 gal, plexiglas tenecor that was given to me was my first reef. I put it together by myself, stand, hood, drilled 5 holes for bulk heads, and build an overflow out of black plexiglas. First equipment ever bought was a little giant external pump 3mdqx, 110 top fathom skimmer(still running), ice cap ballast with 3 110w VHO fluorescent bulbs. Only supplier back then was Champion Lighting.
The store “Reef Keepers” gave out a lot of information in print outs, there was not a lot of information or internet on the subject back then. I also bought my first corals including the pearl bubble still with me today from them.

So, what has kept me consistently flowing saltwater throughout the years???
In one word success. Not that I haven’t had problems like everyone in this hobby even with todays knowledge and technology. I’ve had my algae breaks, aiptasia, nutrient problems, no power due to several hurricanes, etc, etc. I even had a jealous x-wife whom I have always suspected poisoned my tank one night. I lost all my fish, but managed to save most corals. What I have found is that the hobby of reef keeping has evolved tremendously over the years, and solutions have been learned that have improved and enabled us to succeed long term in many cases. What was thought impossible then, is very possible in todays knowledge and methods. My love for the ocean and its inhabitants both in nature and my reef tanks is just a part of who I am. 🤗
 
What got me into the hobby? The critters. Fish, inverts, corals, there was always something new happening in my first setup. I could also tinker and DIY as money was tight.

What has kept me in this hobby? My wife. After much personal trials, she offered to help me do the basics. As long as she can help pick what’s in it, she’s willing to help maintain it. I couldn’t do it without her.
 
For me it’s the constant requirement to help people who are struggling.
If I don’t know, I’ll experiment - like I currently do with what’s the easiest way to colour up coral (and it’s not lighting!). Oh… and I have 3 tanks that I can’t really shut down without wanting to set them up again 🤣
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new