What kind of "symptoms" require immediate action?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working from home, so I have a close eye on the reef these days.

It feels like everything is on fire. This coral isnt growing fast enough, the PE on that coral isnt what it was a couple of weeks ago, the very pricey trachy is doing something weird again, etc...

We had an algae bloom we recently recovered from after turning the skimmer off for a week because epoxy was making it crazy. Everything is humming along, but there are a number of corals exhibiting symptoms I don't love.

I've turned the lights down a touch, moved a monti that was faded and still hanging onto some cyano, and feeding a little more.

What are your cues that it's time to pry frags up and move them, dip them, or take other extreme measures?

My favorite favites is bleached on the top edge and I want to do something, but I can't imagine anywhere else it would get much less light, temp and salt are stable, and nutrients would suggest corals are more likely to brown out than bleach. I think I just need to sit tight and let it fight, no?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not time to bleach, see my post here for full detail it will fix your coral issues, to induce a period of 2x sustained work/ action in direct opposition to it just sitting there steady state the last several weeks. Post 42

Make sure your lighting is blue heavy and white low during this time

The reason didn't ask about parameter details is anything shy of harmful params, which you wouldn't keep, will work with the method

It is about protein cycling exactly like bodybuilding but for coral

Spot feed hq feed, change water to a good degree an hour later even if you don't think it's needed. Sustain two mos using this light and feed... it will work.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not time to bleach, see my post here for full detail it will fix your coral issues, to induce a period of 2x sustained work/ action in direct opposition to it just sitting there steady state the last several weeks. Post 42

Make sure your lighting is blue heavy and white low during this time

Blues are twice the white channel. Bumping to 2 coral feedings a week, and varying the feed.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the nitrates and phosphates numbers

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the nitrates and phosphates numbers

Nitrates are 40ish with API test kit. I suspect they are much lower but need to get a test done with a better kit.
Phos 0.1.

Should cause LPS to brown out if anything, no? But algae is dying back, and if anything is thriving the sps are (except that poor monti that was placed too high).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back