What Large Angelfish Can I Keep in a 150g Tank?

dustinwerk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 Gallon Half Hex Tank, not much rock but enough for the fish to hide, no coral and a 40 gallon sump. What Large Angelfish would I be able to keep in my tank?

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 Gallon Half Hex Tank, not much rock but enough for the fish to hide, no coral and a 40 gallon sump. What Large Angelfish would I be able to keep in my tank?
I always look at live aquaria...you can read up on the ones you like and they let you know what the minimum size tank should be...I usually use that to find my selections.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large fish need swimming space. So consider that swimming length over gallons. If you plan on fish like a french angel the can become the size of a dinner plate and need lots of room. To be honest your 150 could end up being to small for any large adult angels.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal would be great

Any of the “large angels” in the pomacanthus species will out grow that size tank in a few years. Regals & Blue lines are mid size & slow growing angels. Late winter is when the small 1.5 -2 inch Regals start to become available. Poma Labs is the place to get small tank raised Bluelines.

Last edited:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the total length on the tank? A half-hex is probably going to be shorter length than a standard Rec tank that size

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the pomacanthus species will out grow that size tank in a few years. Regals & Blue lines are slow growing angels. Late winter is when the small 1.5 -2 inch Regals start to become available. Poma Labs is the place to get small tank raised Bluelines.
Regal is not in the Pomacanthus genus. 8" would be about maximum in our tanks. Unless the dimensions of the tank are really silly, 150 gallons is plenty.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair, maybe even a trio of a smaller Genicanthus species, like Spotbreasts, Bellus, Watanabei, Red Sea Lyretail or Semifasciatus.

Single Lamarck’s.

Regal.

Goldflake.

Griffis.

Flagfin.

Xanthurus Cream / Red Sea Cream Angel.

Black Velvet (Chaetodontoplus).

Singapore (Chaetodontoplus).

Maybe Blue Lined (Chaetodontoplus) also?

Back