What light should I choose for new Waterbox peninsula mini 15 build

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I wanted to get some opinions on what light I should get on a new build I am about to start. I should be getting the Waterbox peninsula mini 15 in the next couple of days and have been researching what light I should pair it with. I am leaning on a LPS/softie tank, but the ideas that I have for the aquascape, I might add some SPS in the top of the rock work. That being said, I was leaning on the Kessil a360x. Would this be too much? I have seen so many bad reviews on the new gens of the AI primes so I don’t think I want to go that route unless someone can convince me otherwise. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and ive owned kessil ap700, a360 and a160 id go with metal halide/t5s. But the new kessil wont be too much as its dimmable

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15g you could do wonders with an Ai prime.
No need to go all out.

I have a $60 30w nicrew on my 10g nano now and its kind of still overkill lol.
I was thinking about the AI prime as an option but I’ve been seeing so many negative things about the quality of the new gens. That’s why I’m in a bit of a pickle at the moment.

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and ive owned kessil ap700, a360 and a160 id go with metal halide/t5s. But the new kessil wont be too much as its dimmable
I never considered that as an option. Do they have a large footprint? I’m looking to make this build have a very minimalist look to it.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy replacing fans (which you cant)

ReefBoy7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Kessils and AI's. My personal preference will always be AI if you know what setting works best per your tanks footprint. Kessils on the other hand were always the easiest "Plug N' Play" approach. That's just my 2 cents though:D. I'd like to note that although I am using ai hydra's currently, I have experienced overall the same growth as when I used Kessils.

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Kessils and AI's. My personal preference will always be AI if you know what setting works best per your tanks footprint. Kessils on the other hand were always the easiest "Plug N' Play" approach. That's just my 2 cents though:D. I'd like to note that although I am using ai hydra's currently, I have experienced overall the same growth as when I used Kessils.
Could you clear the air for me about the new gen AI’s? I’ve been seeing a lot of negative feedback about the quality, and noise.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a AI prime on a 15 gallon tall and it performed very well . the kessel does have a nice shimmer bother AI or kessel are both good choices

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a AI prime on a 15 gallon tall and it performed very well . the kessel does have a nice shimmer bother AI or kessel are both good choices
I believe I will be going with the AI prime. I was just hesitant due to the negative feedback I was seeing about the new gen claiming low quality and very noisy fan

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the quality of the light? Do you disagree with the flood of negative reviews about the noise and lens?

It’s been running for 6 months + and I have it in my tv room. I’ve heard the fan once and it was just dusty. Gave it a spray with canned air and it went back to dead silent. I’ll put it to you this way, I can hear my sicce silent 1.0 in that tank more than the light. Have seen some lens burn out stuff online but never the case for me. I’m a big fan of AI and have some version of their product over all of my tanks

OP
OP
jzape24

jzape24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been running for 6 months + and I have it in my tv room. I’ve heard the fan once and it was just dusty. Gave it a spray with canned air and it went back to dead silent. I’ll put it to you this way, I can hear my sicce silent 1.0 in that tank more than the light. Have seen some lens burn out stuff online but never the case for me. I’m a big fan of AI and have some version of their product over all of my tanks
Thanks for the feedback! That’s the info and reassurance I was looking for. AI it is! Which mount are you using?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back