What Needs The Most Improvement In The Hobby?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automated frozen food feeder: can someone please come up with an idea for one and get it mass produced. I badly need one!!!

Freezer on top of the tank + auto ice dispenser, and you have it. :p

The hard part really is how to make a freezer small enough to go above the tank.

phea2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2 cubes per day. someone needs to come up with a freezer small enough to hold about 60 cubes.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good content in this thread. I feel like I agree with a lot of it. Here are a couple of things that really tick me off:
  • Heater technology - sure, they're inexpensive but it's basically a ticking time bomb waiting to nuke your tank unless you replace it every 6-12 months.
  • Internet connectivity - Or just controlling in general. Why is EVERYTHING in this hobby an extra $100-200 if I want to use it and or connect it to my PC?

Makes you wonder why the heater tech, which is arguably the most important thing in your tank, seems like it's just a hair better than heaters from 20 years ago. In the 90's there was a very good titanium heater that isn't made anymore (can't remember the name), and yet we're really no better off now. If they can come up with a sophisticated air conditioner for your tank (chiller) then they should be able to improve heater technology.

I think people having the mindset to just buy a new heater every year gives the companies incentive NOT to innovate in that area. If you treat it as disposable, which is what they want, then they will keep them disposable. Use a good controller, even if it's a heater controller, and you're heaters will last longer. I've had my Eheims going on 3+ years. But at this point in time a controller shouldn't even be necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I would like to see is more importance placed on stray voltage.

A child knows that water and electricity don't mix. If you're selling an electrical product for underwater use, you should be certain that the electrical components are sealed and resealed. Power cords that don't crack, ect... It seems like stray voltage is at an all time high since the days of heaters that weren't submersible.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it takes more sincerity; we all like to report our "advantages", but especially when you gain some prestige, there is resistance to reporting negative results. Beginners are often more sincere than the "experienced" about it.

For the hobby to grow, problems need to be reported and our intelligences brought together to face them, so if we can beat them together, everyone will grow up with that.

Best Regards

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People need to get thicker skin. You see posts from time to time about getting hosed from sellers not representing what they have correctly and wishing that there as more self-policing of the community, yet when people question sellers about stuff, the mods of this board tell folks to take it to PM with the potential for others to get harmed by not seeing the opinions of people with experience. What is wrong with somebody doing an adequate job of representing what they are selling correctly including good photos and lineage, especially for items that are several hundred dollars?

People need to grow up, get thicker skin and take come criticism. If you cannot adequately show what you have, then you don't deserve to sell it.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People need to get thicker skin. You see posts from time to time about getting hosed from sellers not representing what they have correctly and wishing that there as more self-policing of the community, yet when people question sellers about stuff, the mods of this board tell folks to take it to PM with the potential for others to get harmed by not seeing the opinions of people with experience. What is wrong with somebody doing an adequate job of representing what they are selling correctly including good photos and lineage, especially for items that are several hundred dollars?

People need to grow up, get thicker skin and take come criticism. If you cannot adequately show what you have, then you don't deserve to sell it.

Yea, I don't see why making an inquiry about a public sale should be private. Not to mention it stops people from asking the seller the same questions over & over. If someone asks a legit question, it should be available for everyone to take note of.

dmarott1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting algae and detritus for more than a year now! I have tried too many approaches without success. I am to the point that I may just quit the hobby, I take it seriously and want to succeed but this is getting me down. I have spent $$$$ and tried many methods I don’t know what to do any more!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll expand on the books theme to add "expert references".

I don't care if they are books or online. But I would LOVE to have more trusted references to turn to when my fish gets sick, or when a coral looks a little off. I've looked, and looked, and authors that I really count on are few and far between. Or the references are dated.

Grateful to you, @Randy Holmes-Farley for your guidance in the chemistry department!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care if they are books or online. But I would LOVE to have more trusted references to turn to when my fish gets sick, or when a coral looks a little off. I've looked, and looked, and authors that I really count on are few and far between. Or the references are dated.

Search Wet Web Media and see if they can help with what you are after. Bob Fenner and the crew did an awesome job of answering questions. Most of the replies are older, but dealing with cyano is the same now as it was then... or fish with tail rot.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral & frag size standards & grading and a dealer grading after the BBB model. A booger is not a frag

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search Wet Web Media and see if they can help with what you are after. Bob Fenner and the crew did an awesome job of answering questions. Most of the replies are older, but dealing with cyano is the same now as it was then... or fish with tail rot.

WWM is awesome and it's where I go for advice...it would be great to have more like them.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you talking about http://www.wetwebmedia.com/? That is the worst (no "one of") website to navigate in recent memory. Maybe it has great content, maybe not. I can't tell when it just bury down in the giant wall of text with absolutely no formatting.

That's the same problem as my post earlier. Same for equipment and content, it's not just making it and be done. The content, equipment, technology, etc. need to be made easily accessible to users, otherwise, it doesn't matter how awesome those things are, they are as good as useless to people.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? There are probably answers to nearly anything that you want to know out there and you have not even tried to navigate it. You must not have been around when all of the web looked like that - it did, or worse. In any case, Google can search it for you if you cannot figure it out... which takes like 5-10 minutes of clicking around.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about http://www.wetwebmedia.com/? That is the worst (no "one of") website to navigate in recent memory. Maybe it has great content, maybe not. I can't tell when it just bury down in the giant wall of text with absolutely no formatting.

That's the same problem as my post earlier. Same for equipment and content, it's not just making it and be done. The content, equipment, technology, etc. need to be made easily accessible to users, otherwise, it doesn't matter how awesome those things are, they are as good as useless to people.

I agree, it's not the best formatting and the easiest to read. I find it much easier to read if I just narrow the browser window quite a lot though.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby is a journey of learning. One must be willing to spend the time to learn and search out the information. Because every tank is different not all answers are simple. A reef aquarium is a web of life from bacteria to corals and fishes. I have been on this journey for 54 years now. It is not an easy path with lows and high’s but it has always been rewarding. An you learn new thighs about your current aquarium everyday. One can not expect the answers to be given to you. As as with life one learns more from failures than success.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? There are probably answers to nearly anything that you want to know out there and you have not even tried to navigate it. You must not have been around when all of the web looked like that - it did, or worse. In any case, Google can search it for you if you cannot figure it out... which takes like 5-10 minutes of clicking around.

Oh, I so remember the internet before Google become popular. Back even when Yahoo was THE search engine, looking for information on the internet is pain in the butt compare to current time. I remember that so well that, looking at a website with no structured, as it still lives in the 90s, feels just like meeting my ex that I wish I would not ever meet again.

Do you know why Google overtook Yahoo and basically become THE internet nowadays? It was because Google believe easy and accurate search is essential to the Internet, while Yahoo's CEO laughed at the idea that "why would people want accurate search"

The major reason for that site is unreadable is though, without reading the whole page, which most of the time is very long, I won't even know if it will give me the answer I'm looking for. I did couple times do try to read into it, and end up finding out that's not the page I need, and half an hour is gone. Honestly, I don't have the time for this kind of research. I'm keeping a hobby here, not researching for my PhD thesis. Also the format of their page does not make reading easier. Answers and questions are all mixed up together, and sometimes there are article kind of content amount them too. If a website put absolutely no effort in making its page at least readable, then it deserves to get no reads. It's just like publish a book with no format, with all words scramble together.

The hobby is a journey of learning. One must be willing to spend the time to learn and search out the information. Because every tank is different not all answers are simple. A reef aquarium is a web of life from bacteria to corals and fishes. I have been on this journey for 54 years now. It is not an easy path with lows and high’s but it has always been rewarding. An you learn new thighs about your current aquarium everyday. One can not expect the answers to be given to you. As as with life one learns more from failures than success.

On one hand, we want people to learn more, but on the other hand, we're not making the learning easy. There are often times when new people come to ask questions, then the responses flame them for asking the questions that have been answered many times, and not using the search function. I don't think it's fair to accuse users for not using search when the search functions on most forums, as well as the wetwebmedia, were so inaccurate and inefficient.

Back