What nitrate level do you keep?

• Total voters

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is at 0 (or 'undectable' I guess), not really out of choice but just because that's how much is consumed in the system by all the algae and corals and everything. But that's okay because I feed heavily throughout the day, seems like that results in enough nutrients going to the corals and stuff.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at 5 nitrates and around .13 or so phosphate. Def made a difference when i upped my levels. Especially for zoanthids. Before my tank was so clean i had to add nitrates and phosphates.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Ever since I put my algae scrubber on line my nitrates dropped to undetected levels and phosphates just hit .25. Still working on phosphates but wondering when is it time to dose nitrates or leave them there as long as no I'll effects.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Ever since I put my algae scrubber on line my nitrates dropped to undetected levels and phosphates just hit .25. Still working on phosphates but wondering when is it time to dose nitrates or leave them there as long as no I'll effects.
Which Scrubber did you get? Also are you still doing water changes regularly?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Scrubber did you get? Also are you still doing water changes regularly?
Home made $30.00 it has been producing algae like mad.
I have only done one large water change in 4 months as I only have fish and a small GSP right now.
Am waiting to get my phosphates down before dipping into SPS.
This was my third haul in the last month.
20210510_170117.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my phosphates at .1 and my nitrates at 15 - 20 as I have a mixed tank with soft coral dominant which at these levels make them very happy and thrive the best

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only done one large water change in 4 months as I only have fish and a small GSP right now.
20210510_170117.jpg
Wow that's awesome!! I'm on the fence of buying one or making my own. I'm mainly concerned about the light spilling into my sump and encouraging Algae growth in places I don't want it lol. Do you have that issue? Also trying to find a good diy for it. I have the reefer 250 and I don't have a lot of room in my sump.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to never zero out either of these two parameters as that led me down the path of dino’s A while ago . I’m only running a sump with a really good octo regal 150int skimmer . That and 10% weekly water changes is my success in my tank .

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awesome!! I'm on the fence of buying one or making my own. I'm mainly concerned about the light spilling into my sump and encouraging Algae growth in places I don't want it lol. Do you have that issue? Also trying to find a good diy for it. I have the reefer 250 and I don't have a lot of room in my sump.
I do, my light shines on the screen and on the sump floor, just below the screen I get algae but the rest of the sump is clean. I can live with it, just can't see paying for something so simple plus the added benefit of dropping nutrients
20210421_194532.jpg
20210407_164724.jpg

JeannieS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210510_170117.jpg
What light bulb are you using?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, my light shines on the screen and on the sump floor, just below the screen I get algae but the rest of the sump is clean. I can live with it, just can't see paying for something so simple plus the added benefit of dropping nutrients
20210421_194532.jpg
20210407_164724.jpg
That's Awesome. Just look at all that Algae.

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i have around 20-30 ppm. And Phosphate at 0.1, i’m struggeling to keep it lower but on the other hand things look nice in my mixed tank so i’m not that worried. My tank is only near six months old so i expect swings because i’m a noob still. Also my refugium light broke so i’m waiting for a replacement and once i get my refugium up and running it’ll be easier to keep things stable.

i think i would be happier to keep Nitrate around 10 maybe lower and Phosphate at 0.5 ish.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right around 12ppm. No idea why either as for years I was always in the 5 to 10 range without dosing or any real nutrient removal, other then WC's. Just in the last 6 months has it gotten up to around 12 to 16, and everything including SPS is happy, colorful, and growing.

Still no real algae issues either. I'm assuming my tank is now very mature(5 years old), and my biomass is enough that no matter what I feed, the biomass consumes the nitrates before they climb. I feed very heavy also(2 cubes of frozen, half sheet of nori, and 4 spins of pellets out of an autofeeder daily in an 80G cube).

Back