What powerheads are you using with APEX?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a Waterbox 130.4 and on powerhead selection with my APEX system. I was originally going to go with 2 MP40's and 2 Nero 3's . However, from what I understand the 2 systems don't talk to each other, I'm trying to build a low maintenance system because of some travel. My questions:

1. If using MP40's how are you managing pump speeds during feeding, especially if you need to do automatic feeding sometimes.

2. If to accomplish automation you need an APEX ready powerhead, what would you choose for your system?

Recommendations? Thank you

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40's can be controlled wirelessly with the Apex and a WXM module, though the WXM has been discontinued so you'd need to buy one second-hand.

Neptune makes their own powerheads (the WAV) which are fully controllable.

You can also use the new Apex IOTA compatibility on Sicce XStream SDC powerheads. See: https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/IoTa-Sicce_SDC_Pump_User_Guide.pdf

Some models of MaxSpect Gyres are Apex compatible with the IceCap Gyre Interface module:

There are probably others I'm forgetting, but you have several options. As a last resort, any powerhead can be controlled by the Apex for basic On/Off power control, such as during automated feeding. But for speed and/or direction control, you'd need a powerhead with Apex compatibility.

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for a complete list of Neptune Apex modules:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If using MP40's how are you managing pump speeds during feeding, especially if you need to do automatic feeding sometimes.

2. If to accomplish automation you need an APEX ready powerhead, what would you choose for your system?
1. Three MP40s. I don't change pump speeds when feeding, and never understood why people do. My pumps blow and spread the food all around to the entire tank. The fish seem to enjoy the hunt as the food blows by them, and the pumps spread it out so they all aren't fighting at the same spot, if that makes sense. I do shut of the return for 30 minutes so the food doesn't go over the overflow.

2. I'm using MP40s with a WMX. I down graded the software on the recent MP40 I bought so it will work with the WXM like my other two. Having said that, Ecotech has jacked up the price on the MP40s where I would be looking at other options. Neptune Waves never got my attention because I've read too many complaints, but I would look at this point unless they jacked up the price also.

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Three MP40s. I don't change pump speeds when feeding, and never understood why people do. My pumps blow and spread the food all around to the entire tank. The fish seem to enjoy the hunt as the food blows by them, and the pumps spread it out so they all aren't fighting at the same spot, if that makes sense. I do shut of the return for 30 minutes so the food doesn't go over the overflow.

2. I'm using MP40s with a WMX. I down graded the software on the recent MP40 I bought so it will work with the WXM like my other two. Having said that, Ecotech has jacked up the price on the MP40s where I would be looking at other options. Neptune Waves never got my attention because I've read too many complaints, but I would look at this point unless they jacked up the price also.
I would love to find a WMX, I spent much of the day searching and couldn't find anything. I was surprised to NOT see one on eBay. I agree about the price, however, the maintenance and reliability of MP40's is what attracts me to them the most.

OP
OP
Andy Wenzel

Andy Wenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Apex with tunze streams in the past. As a tunze fan they would be my choice.
If I go that route, I think it would be 2x Turbelle Stream 6105 on the ends and 2x Turbelle Nanostream 6055 on the backwall as needed.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go that route, I think it would be 2x Turbelle Stream 6105 on the ends and 2x Turbelle Nanostream 6055 on the backwall as needed.
That is a good plan. After trying many different circulation pumps I keep coming back to tunze.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back