What salt brands do you recommend?

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro has been working well for my mixed reef tank
I'm using red sea coral pro but i'd like to try something else to see if there's any improvement. How should I go about transitioning to a new brand? Can I make a total switch right away or gradually?

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO. Always. Never had one single problem with it, ever. Been using it since my FOWLER days 30 years ago. You know exactly what you will get with IO. Nothing more, nothing less. I like consistency, and will only leave IO when 1) I die; or 2) IO goes out of business (which I don't see happening as I would think most public aquaria, likely most marine aquarists, and I'd imagine most research institutions use it).

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using red sea coral pro but i'd like to try something else to see if there's any improvement. How should I go about transitioning to a new brand? Can I make a total switch right away or gradually?
Gradually. If you’re doing 10% - 20% water changes weekly, that should help drop it alongside your corals regular consumption of elements

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whilst I generally agree most of the top brands of salt will not differ that much from each other, I think you are over egging the pudding when you say running shoes don’t can help you run for longer, of course a good pair of running shoe will do exactly that.
It was meant facetiously ;) haha. However, if we are picking fly poop out of a box of pepper, which it seems we are, then you are right lol.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just deal with the precipitate before messing with lowering the alkalinity. I thought the regular IO didn't have elevated alk.
Honestly the brown residue of Reef Crystals isn't that bad, and I wouldn't care at all other than it partially clogging the end of my AWC line.
When the end of your awc line starts to clog what happens then as I’m sure you already know but have decided is ok for you but then you pump in less clean fresh mixed saltwater then you pull out. With this happening what you will get is saltwater being removed but not added back in then your ato will dump fresh water in lowering your salinity. I’m not sure how you can think this is not a problem. When we set up auto water changes we calibrate pump heads to remove and add the same amount of water to prevent this and you literally use a salt that screws this up. There is no way for you to tell if your fresh salt water line is 10% 20% 30% clogged but either way if it is that is 10-30% less saltwater going back in. Over couple weeks that can drift salinity. Anyways to each his own. But I would prefer to stay away from this problem. And this has happened to me did not catch it till supply line was completely clogged and salinity dropped to 1.023 from 1.026. Since then switched to tmp and I make sure the supply line is under the water line in my sump. Reefing is hard enough as it it already

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the end of your awc line starts to clog what happens then as I’m sure you already know but have decided is ok for you but then you pump in less clean fresh mixed saltwater then you pull out. With this happening what you will get is saltwater being removed but not added back in then your ato will dump fresh water in lowering your salinity. I’m not sure how you can think this is not a problem. When we set up auto water changes we calibrate pump heads to remove and add the same amount of water to prevent this and you literally use a salt that screws this up. There is no way for you to tell if your fresh salt water line is 10% 20% 30% clogged but either way if it is that is 10-30% less saltwater going back in. Over couple weeks that can drift salinity. Anyways to each his own. But I would prefer to stay away from this problem. And this has happened to me did not catch it till supply line was completely clogged and salinity dropped to 1.023 from 1.026. Since then switched to tmp and I make sure the supply line is under the water line in my sump. Reefing is hard enough as it it already
I will openly admit that it is far from ideal. My apex monitors salinity and I still frequently check salinity with my refractometers or conductivity meter, so if my new water line plugs significantly I should catch it before it becomes an issue. What I've started to do recently is I just clean the end of the line in my mixing station each time I mix up a batch. It only takes me a minute to clean and it doesn't seem to plug noticeably in the 2 weeks it takes before I mix another batch. It's an insignificant amount of work to make it to where I can keep buying the cheap salt.
I'm both lazy and cheap and in the end it would appear that I'm more cheap than I am lazy.

If not maintained and the flow in the new water line changed considerably it could be a major problem, but so far it doesn't take very much work to make it be a non issue.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will openly admit that it is far from ideal. My apex monitors salinity and I still frequently check salinity with my refractometers or conductivity meter, so if my new water line plugs significantly I should catch it before it becomes an issue. What I've started to do recently is I just clean the end of the line in my mixing station each time I mix up a batch. It only takes me a minute to clean and it doesn't seem to plug noticeably in the 2 weeks it takes before I mix another batch. It's an insignificant amount of work to make it to where I can keep buying the cheap salt.
I'm both lazy and cheap and in the end it would appear that I'm more cheap than I am lazy.

If not maintained and the flow in the new water line changed considerably it could be a major problem, but so far it doesn't take very much work to make it be a non issue.
If it is plugging the line at the tip better believe inside the lines and doser head is also caked

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is plugging the line at the tip better believe inside the lines and doser head is also caked
I replace the doser line enough that it doesn't matter as for the rest of the line I'm sure it does to some extent. Because of that I periodically re-calibrate everything. Ultimately if the line gets too bad my intentions are to replace the entire line. Which the line runs through the ceiling but I can use the old line as a "pull-string" for the new one. Plus I'm at around 1.5 years of using the same line and so far the only significant blockage has been at the end of the line. So even if replacing the line becomes necessary it won't be a common maintenance task.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back