What salt do you use?

• Total voters

fishboy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt never really tried anything else.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use

I have always had good luck with RedSea blue bucket.

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Aquavitro Salinity ... have been for the past 3 years. Was using Microbe-Lift ... no complaints with either of these.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried several but my favorite time after time is Brightwell Reef salt. Mixes to target salinity when mixed at recommended ratio (for me 1.025) and is the cleanest salt I’ve ever used. Zero residue of any kind.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Aquavitro Salinity ... have been for the past 3 years. Was using Microbe-Lift ... no complaints with either of these.
Just curious...we were using Aquacitro Salinity for a while but it left a yellowish residue on everything in my mixing station. Barrel, pumps, hoses...everything. I couldn’t take it anymore and finally switched back to Brightwell Reef Salt. Have it on “subscribe and save” with Amazon. Mixes to 1.025 if added according to instructions and so clean! Won’t go back.

lagoon360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and mix with distilled water from target for my nano tank. I like to keep the process simple!

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...we were using Aquacitro Salinity for a while but it left a yellowish residue on everything in my mixing station. Barrel, pumps, hoses...everything. I couldn’t take it anymore and finally switched back to Brightwell Reef Salt. Have it on “subscribe and save” with Amazon. Mixes to 1.025 if added according to instructions and so clean! Won’t go back.
Just curious... how long did you mix it for before using it ?

Last edited:

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Aquavitro Salinity from 2008-2013, and just finishing using the remaining bits last month (long pause in hobby and nano tank). Only issues with it was that it would leave calcium deposits on the mixing container and equipment.

All the LFS around me don't carry it anymore, so I switched over to Red Sea blue bucket. No complaints - mixes fast and doesn't leave any residue.
Just curious... how long did you let it mix for before using it ?

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious... how long did you mix it for before using it ?
At least 24 hours but I’d mix 50 gallons and keep it in the holding tank. With a power head running continuously. The residue happened with every bucket so idk. I use 55 gallon food grade plastic drums to hold my RODI and salt water reserves for my ATO’s. I also keep it heated at 78

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 24 hours but I’d mix 50 gallons and keep it in the holding tank. With a power head running continuously. The residue happened with every bucket so idk. I use 55 gallon food grade plastic drums to hold my RODI and salt water reserves for my ATO’s. I also keep it heated at 78
That’s actually the problem ... you can only mix it for 2-3 hours max otherwise you will get residue. Wondered why I was always getting residue all over my pump, mixing tanks etc ... then I actually read the label on the bucket ... says not to over mix ... only mix for a couple hours max and then use immediately. I’ve been following their directions for the last 5 water changes and ... yup no residue when I mix for 2 hours.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been drinking IO for thirty years.

5nfmrmxugpu21.jpg

feixjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually the problem ... you can only mix it for 2-3 hours max otherwise you will get residue. Wondered why I was always getting residue all over my pump, mixing tanks etc ... then I actually read the label on the bucket ... says not to over mix ... only mix for a couple hours max and then use immediately. I’ve been following their directions for the last 5 water changes and ... yup no residue when I mix for 2 hours.

I mix for however long it takes the water to warm up to temperature, usually under 3-4 hours. It may have been that the salt was sitting for almost 6-7 years because i started using it again? Not sure what's the shelf life on these salts.

Also, did your salt have these tiny metallic flakes? I ignored them and added it to my tank anyways, didnt notice any adverse effects.

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix for however long it takes the water to warm up to temperature, usually under 3-4 hours. It may have been that the salt was sitting for almost 6-7 years because i started using it again? Not sure what's the shelf life on these salts.

Also, did your salt have these tiny metallic flakes? I ignored them and added it to my tank anyways, didnt notice any adverse effects.
Yeah apparently Aquavitro Salinity can only be mixed for about 3 hours max before it starts leaving a white powdery film on everything. Since I’ve been doing a 2 hour max mix, haven’t seen any residue at all . No never noticed anything metallic looking in the salt other than I have noticed very sparkly, white flakes mixed in.

AussieReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just purchased a bucket of Red Sea reef pro coral. But now I’m wondering is that the best? (Of course afterwards) I saw a video about salt on BRS and they gave two other recommendations for e.v.s and tropic marine. From what I can see they are all around the same price. So which one?

Answer the poll and tell me why you like what you use
I use Quantum. Why?
1- It’s an Australian product and I live in Australia.
2- It is available boxed which cuts the price down and is better for the environment because it’s square and packs better (I already own a bucket)
3- It mixes quick and clear without any scum.
4- It’s probiotic (contains bacteria)
5- It’s available in four different blends-
SPS, LPS, Mixed Reef & FOWLR.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Quantum. Why?
1- It’s an Australian product and I live in Australia.
2- It is available boxed which cuts the price down and is better for the environment because it’s square and packs better (I already own a bucket)
3- It mixes quick and clear without any scum.
4- It’s probiotic (contains bacteria)
5- It’s available in four different blends-
SPS, LPS, Mixed Reef & FOWLR.

Because I’m switching. I use to get salt water from LFS. Now I’m making my own. Want to see what people think is the best.

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using Reef Crystals, but when we built our new mixing station, I installed a large pre-filter to help reduce the ugly film RC is known for. Seems to be working well so far.

IMG_2488.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg

As our new tank is schedule to arrive next week, I seriously thought about switching to Tropic Marin Pro Reef , but it's hard to find and costly compared RC. Hard to beat $38 for a 160g bucket of RC on auto delivery from Amazon...

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic marine pro because it leaves my mixing station clean in comparison to others. Also the parameters are where I want my tank so consider that when picking salt.
+1 to this! I switched over to TM Pro a few weeks ago from RS because of the residue left in my AWC storage tank. Now when it comes time to mix a new batch, the storage tanks are still clean, the remaining bit of SW is still crystal clear, and there is no odor. TM Pro is $20 more, but to me it is worth it.

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess there is somewhat of a correlated relationship to certain brands and size of tank as well as WC habits. If you do a 10-20% WC weekly on a 300G system...it starts to add up. If you are doing 10% WC bi-weekly on a 30G cube....well yeah buy the best, price is a matter of counting pennies at that point.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess there is somewhat of a correlated relationship to certain brands and size of tank as well as WC habits. If you do a 10-20% WC weekly on a 300G system...it starts to add up. If you are doing 10% WC bi-weekly on a 30G cube....well yeah buy the best, price is a matter of counting pennies at that point.

Does the best salt mix cost the most? The least?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back