What should be my final fish for Fluval Evo 13.5?

Halian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and started a Fluval Evo 13.5 in October 2021. I did tons of research before I even started my tank and am enjoying learning about keeping reef tanks. I am even already considering upgrading to a bigger tank lol.

This is the info on my current tank. All equipment is stock except I added a power head for increased flow and a media basket to chamber one. I have filter floss and biomax in the first chamber and the filter sponge and carbon in the second chamber. I have CaribSea Life Rock and Arag-Alive sand (about 1.5 inch depth). It went through an ugly phase with cyano then dinos but all is under control now. Parameters are stable and I do a 10% water change every week.

Here is what I have stock wise so far:
1 black photon clownfish
1 six line wrasse
3 trochus snails
3 astrea snails
4 dwarf blue leg hermit crabs
2 halloween hermit crabs
1 hammer coral
1 xenia
1 Solomon hairy leather
1 finger leather

I would like to add one more fish to the tank. Since it will be the last I want a really good one. I love my clownfish but it is a jerk. I bought a pair and this one killed the other within a day. Same for a firefish I added a couple of weeks later. The clownfish and wrasse I have now get along fine and even hang out together most of the day. I would love to hear some suggestions for that final fish.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, make it something that stays away from the clown and wrasse - both can be very mean (as you know).
I’d get a shrimpgoby like an aurora or Randall’s and a pistol shrimp. It would occupy the sandbed where no other fish is and the symbiosis is fun to watch.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Get a dracula goby if you want a flashy shrimp goby (go with a randalls pistol, its not a good idea to have a shrimp with a goby it wouldn't encounter in the wild)
Whatever it is, make it something that stays away from the clown and wrasse - both can be very mean (as you know).
I’d get a shrimpgoby like an aurora or Randall’s and a pistol shrimp. It would occupy the sandbed where no other fish is and the symbiosis is fun to watch.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with two aggressive fish in that tank, do not get something that would swim in the water column. I think a shrimp goby/shrimp pair would be good. Sand dwellers tend to get ignored by bullies, in my experience.

If you really want a swimmer, you'd have to go with something aggressive too. A damsel or a dottyback maybe. But I think the shrimp goby would be better. I have a hi fin goby and randall's pistol in my 10g with a skunk clown. They all live under the rockwork together LOL

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with two aggressive fish in that tank, do not get something that would swim in the water column. I think a shrimp goby/shrimp pair would be good. Sand dwellers tend to get ignored by bullies, in my experience.

If you really want a swimmer, you'd have to go with something aggressive too. A damsel or a dottyback maybe. But I think the shrimp goby would be better. I have a hi fin goby and randall's pistol in my 10g with a skunk clown. They all live under the rockwork together LOL
sharknose and neons tend to be ignored by other fish due to their cleaning and general behavior (especially with the size and swimming habits of sharknoses).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back