what should my last fish be?

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, we have a 55 gallon reef tank with 70 lbs of live rock, a HOB filled with chaeto to breed pods, a tank bred ocellaris, baby one spot fox face, and a mandarin. the rocks are set up so there is plenty of swimming space. i was just wondering if anyone had good ideas of what our last fish should be. we've had a bad experience with marine ich and lost all of our fish except the clown and are being much more careful who we put in from now on. (we got ich from adding a school of three blue reef chromies when we already had a mandarin, lawn mower blenny, hector's goby and the clown who survived) the fox face is in there to eat caulerpa and we may get rid of him once it's gone and he gets big but we're also probably going to set up a bigger tank in the next year so he may go in there. any suggestions? the clown is a female and has killed a fire fish and tried to kill a wrasse by the way. thanks for any of your thoughts on this! nicki.

jmelchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think a great addition to my tanks before has been a lemon peel angelfish. They're a little bit bigger than your clown, so you may not run into big problems there, and are small enough to probably be happy in a 55 gal with plenty of room to swim, and imo, they're very catchy, good looking fish. Good luck in your search!

OP
OP
devolette

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I'll look into these fish! we have some corals too but aren't adding any serious ones while the fox face is in there.

shells4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on a dwarf angel as your last addition. Our flame back got very aggressive. I love the lemon peel angel, but you already have some yellow from the Foxface. Personally I would go with a flame angel, potters angel, or a multicolor angel.

OP
OP
devolette

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd LOVE a leopard wrasse but I feel like a 55 is a little small for him and a mandarin even with the pod fuge.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on a dwarf angel as your last addition. Our flame back got very aggressive. I love the lemon peel angel, but you already have some yellow from the Foxface. Personally I would go with a flame angel, potters angel, or a multicolor angel.

Well the Foxface would need to be re-homed as the OP already said once it grows larger. Second, being a reef, I would stay away from Multicolor Angels. They are known to be one of the more common dwarf angels to nip at corals from what I remember. A Flame or Coral Beauty would be a safer choice IMO.

Really though, the clown should have been the last addition. They are even more aggressive than dwarf angels IMO.

OP
OP
devolette

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah we we know, we have debated taking the clown out but he's a really pretty one so we'd rather keep him. any suggestions other than angelfish?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back