What size icecap gyre for a 50g cube?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size icecap gyre would you recommend for a 50g cube? If I get one that's too big, can I run it on lower settings? I'm thinking about getting this to add flow to my cube. I'm currently running an MP40 on the back wall and an MP10 on the side... I'm thinking I'd put this on the other side. Am I crazy?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2k and 4k running on opposite ends of my 75g tank. I think the 4k is too large and kind of creates too much flow around the tank for my euphyllia and other LPS corals. I think I would prefer to have two 2k gyres.

The minimum you can run the 4k gyres is at 25%, so this is still quite a good push of water. I think you might want to look at a 2k for the 50g cube. I saw a guy run 2 gyres on a cube...one horizontal across the top, and the other diagonal on the one of the sides. He liked that flow for his SPS coral.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to run all three together? If you put a 2K on constant flow in the arrangement you described, and set the MP10 and MP40 to differing pulse modes, you could create some insane turbulence. Your SPS would probably love you forever. Softies might complain a bit. Of course you'll have a blast tweaking your placement and flow.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you planning to run all three together? If you put a 2K on constant flow in the arrangement you described, and set the MP10 and MP40 to differing pulse modes, you could create some insane turbulence. Your SPS would probably love you forever. Softies might complain a bit. Of course you'll have a blast tweaking your placement and flow.
That's the plan! I'm thinking that having that kind of random flow from those 3 sides would be awesome. At least that's the hope!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back