What size tangs to add

rkadach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading and hearing different opinions. Thought I’d throw the question out to the tang police. I have a 180 and currently have a blue hippo between 5.5-6 inches long it’s been in the tank for 4 years. I know it’s best to add all tangs at one time or re home the one I have and start over. I however want to keep the one and add more. From my knowledge and experience it’s best to add the same size tangs as the one I currently have. I have read some posts and some stores are saying it’s better to add smaller ones so the established one doesn’t see them as a threat and the smaller ones can hide in the rock work easier. I am looking at adding at least 2 possibly 4 depending on what I find available. The list is purple, powder blue, blonde naso and orange shoulder
Thank you

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading and hearing different opinions. Thought I’d throw the question out to the tang police. I have a 180 and currently have a blue hippo between 5.5-6 inches long it’s been in the tank for 4 years. I know it’s best to add all tangs at one time or re home the one I have and start over. I however want to keep the one and add more. From my knowledge and experience it’s best to add the same size tangs as the one I currently have. I have read some posts and some stores are saying it’s better to add smaller ones so the established one doesn’t see them as a threat and the smaller ones can hide in the rock work easier. I am looking at adding at least 2 possibly 4 depending on what I find available. The list is purple, powder blue, blonde naso and orange shoulder
Thank you
I wouldn’t do a Naso or Orange shoulder in a tank less than 8’ long. This is to accommodate their size as well as activity.
Your main issue you’d come across when introducing new tangs is Blue Hippos can be notoriously aggressive and ich magnets. If you added the Powder Blue which is also an ich magnet on its own, it may not go overly well and you may have an ich or velvet break out. If you were to add the Purple and Powder Blue at the same time it would be a 1 v 2 and aggression would be dispersed, making your chances of success rise.

OP
OP
R

rkadach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a Naso or Orange shoulder in a tank less than 8’ long. This is to accommodate their size as well as activity.
Your main issue you’d come across when introducing new tangs is Blue Hippos can be notoriously aggressive and ich magnets. If you added the Powder Blue which is also an ich magnet on its own, it may not go overly well and you may have an ich or velvet break out. If you were to add the Purple and Powder Blue at the same time it would be a 1 v 2 and aggression would be dispersed, making your chances of success rise.
I plan to add multiple all at once for best success. Would you choose ones the same size as the one in the tank or get smaller ones? I’ve always known to put similar size but hearing some people say go smaller so the one in the tank doesn’t see them as a threat

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to add multiple all at once for best success. Would you choose ones the same size as the one in the tank or get smaller ones? I’ve always known to put similar size but hearing some people say go smaller so the one in the tank doesn’t see them as a threat
I would get either larger or smaller. Personally when I mixed tangs I did it so it was the newest was larger than the original. However you can also do it so the newest is smaller than the original.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back