what skimmers are you all using?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about how big I can go when the time comes and wondering what protien skimmers are all you monster tanks guys are using?

tank is question will be 300-720 gal

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Octopus has skimmers that are rated from 60 gallons to 26,500 gallons. How monster is monster?

#reefoctopus

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus has skimmers that are rated from 60 gallons to 26,500 gallons. How monster is monster?

#reefoctopus

I updated the tread. 300 on the low end if I go glass 500-1000 if i go plywood.
skimmer is for a FOWLR system and one part of the over all filtration along with UV, ATS carbon and fuge.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefOctopus Regal 200Ext 8' for our 100g, it's more than enough skimmer for our tank and customer support is spot on with them (had to replace the float switch, I broke it but they replaced it anyways) . I was going to buy a Simplicity skimmer but I got the reef octo new/used from someone that started a build but never finished it. I know not the skimmer model for your tank size but I'd recommend reef octo for any size tank It's super quiet with all the bells and whistles... Neptune ready as well.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running a Reef Octopus SRO5000 (internal sump) on my 240g for about 7 years now … LOTS of fish and very happy with it's performance! Think it's been discontinued … but it is a workhorse … just keeps on going with normal maintenance. Thinking any of there products would hold up and perform the same. When/if this one dies I will not hesitate to go back for another Reef octopus!

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to be another Reef Octopus guy, but I have been incredibly impressed with how the Regal 300INT 12" skimmer has performed. You need a little bit of extra space because the Varios-6 pump is external to the chamber, but that makes a huge difference and I would do the same skimmer over again any day.

210xxx_reefoctopus_regal300int-c.jpg

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed with ^^^

LifeReef does make some really good skimmers. You have to overlook the web site, as it looks like the worst coding of the early 90s all on one page, but the owner is very enthusiastic. He will trash every other skimmer brand out there in favor of his own, but the following of LifeReef skimmers can probably justify that perspective.

Sumps and Calcium reactors are pretty solid too.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a DIY skimmer on my system that is gravity fed with two needle wheel re-circulation pumps. Been running like a champ and saved me lots of $$$ to build rather than purchase.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stretch version of the venerable Marine Technical Concepts HSA-3000 chez moi. MTC rated it to 2,000 gallons based on an exhaustive survey of large tank owners covering a 10 year period, sophisticated regression testing of bio-contribution to waste ratios and biological assays of waste types and nutrient persistence …. or something like that. Who's to argue.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be another Reef Octopus guy, but I have been incredibly impressed with how the Regal 300INT 12" skimmer has performed. You need a little bit of extra space because the Varios-6 pump is external to the chamber, but that makes a huge difference and I would do the same skimmer over again any day.

yeah I am a big fan of reef octo as well I have there older 150 model for years and it just keeps going.

Take a look at lifereef skimmers, he has everything for just about any size tank and can custom make parts if you need something different, plus you can use any pump you want so never have to worry about not being able to get replacement parts
ah yes I totally forgot about life reef. I do hear good things about them. any idea where there price point falls?

Bubble magus curve 7 elite. Affordable and does more than enough for my tank. Only issue I could see is it recommends like 9" mini.
added to the list! thanks!

I have about 400 gallons.
I started with an SRO 5000
I just put up a Lifereef SVS3-36.
IMG_2615_heic-M.jpg

there is a pretty good chance I will be running a stock tank for sump too. so hopefully space will not be an issue.

I am running a DIY skimmer on my system that is gravity fed with two needle wheel re-circulation pumps. Been running like a champ and saved me lots of $$$ to build rather than purchase.

yeah I love your skimmer if I fallow in your foot steps and do the ply. 720 I just might have to build a skimmer to!

Stretch version of the venerable Marine Technical Concepts HSA-3000 chez moi. MTC rated it to 2,000 gallons based on an exhaustive survey of large tank owners covering a 10 year period, sophisticated regression testing of bio-contribution to waste ratios and biological assays of waste types and nutrient persistence …. or something like that. Who's to argue.

def. going to look in to this.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Had one recently and great unit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On my monster tank, but may be selling due to inconvenient access the way my house is designed.

skimmer1.jpg
skimmer3.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus regal 300SS but have a reef octopus SRO6000EXT waiting to be installed. I love that you can customize these skimmers with neck extensions too... Which I see surprisingly absent from the current posts!

I did not know you could extend the neck on the reef octos. tell us more..

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised no one has said MRC yet. any options on them. not that I will need it for a year or so. it's just fun to "build" it out so I can see if I can afford this project. HA

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back