OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20ml is way too much. Start with 1ML and test ph before and after

Already did 20. I based it off the 15 ml that I used to dose DAILY when carbon dosing. Everything was good then, so I suspect it won't do any harm now, and I don't think I'm going to try to chase any pH. I just wanted to give it a push start in the right direction.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be enough vinegar.. i would add in 5ml gaps testing each time before. Stay positive!!
Thanks

I don't have a test kit and don't want to chase any particular ph though. I'm just going to leave it to run its course at this point. Things look pretty good now, but if anything changes my go to option would be another large water change

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan is good. Hope everything survives.

When you get a chance, please let us know what caused the overdose. I am about to add dosing pumps to my system for alk and calcium, and would like to know if there is something special I need to be aware of.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how it's looking now. Some corals are closed up, most aren't closed at all.

Seems like most will make it. Im thinking I'll just leave it and let things go naturally from here. Maybe I'll add a bit more vinegar later on tonight, but probably won't do any more water changes.

I'll just keep my calcium dosing the same, obviously stop dosing alk until I get down to the mid 8s, and I'll keep my trace dosing on the same schedule.

Any suggestions?

15827630863428571244686958360373.jpg
Sounds like what I would do: remedy the immediate issue and then wait for things to stabilize.
You’ve gotten the parameters down to a level that won’t kill anything, now it’s basically a waiting game to see what/if there has been any damage due to the rapid swings.

Fingers crossed!

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the UV.

AA Green Killing 24W resolved this issue for me in day or two.

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan is good. Hope everything survives.

When you get a chance, please let us know what caused the overdose. I am about to add dosing pumps to my system for alk and calcium, and would like to know if there is something special I need to be aware of.
It doesn't look like anything was damaged or killed, possibly just irritated.

I cant say with 100% certainty that this was the cause, but it's my beat guess... I used a reef pi controller and I like to reboot it periodically to keep things running smoothly. Since it's a remote reboot, I'm thinking that maybe I rebooted it when it was supposed to dose and when it came back on it was stuck.

At this point its my best guess because when I checked the pump it was off but my dosing reservoir was empty.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
It doesn't look like anything was damaged or killed, possibly just irritated.

I cant say with 100% certainty that this was the cause, but it's my beat guess... I used a reef pi controller and I like to reboot it periodically to keep things running smoothly. Since it's a remote reboot, I'm thinking that maybe I rebooted it when it was supposed to dose and when it came back on it was stuck.

At this point its my best guess because when I checked the pump it was off but my dosing reservoir was empty.
It almost sound like you got a siphon somehow, is that a possibility?

OP
OP
Phildago

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it looking today?

Its looking good.

The whole event caused one of my anemones to split, which could've been good except one half went under a rock and I freaked out and ripped it off the rock, killing it. I was too afraid that it would wander or let go and end up in a powerhead. The other half I successfully quarantined.

Another effect is that all the algae in my tank got coated and almost petrified. I'm not sure if it killed the algae, but it seems to have had a positive impact.

My alk rapidly returned to normal, and is now sitting at 7.8

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its looking good.

The whole event caused one of my anemones to split, which could've been good except one half went under a rock and I freaked out and ripped it off the rock, killing it. I was too afraid that it would wander or let go and end up in a powerhead. The other half I successfully quarantined.

Another effect is that all the algae in my tank got coated and almost petrified. I'm not sure if it killed the algae, but it seems to have had a positive impact.

My alk rapidly returned to normal, and is now sitting at 7.8
Lol.. I should try overdosing some ALK to see if my RBTA splits! XD

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, right! I must've gotten lucky with this whole ordeal turning out as well as it did
Glad it worked out OK. I accidentally butt-dialed a liter or more ALK a while back. Mostly sticks and they all did fine. I did have a blasto that was never the same after, but that was it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back