What the heck is this stuff?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
I would agree with some type of filter feeder. Possible type of sponge perhaps? I have some that look similar that only grow under my green mushroom rock. They don't seem to bother the mushrooms so they get to stay. If they bother your corals just pull them off with tweezers and move somewhere else! Do you dose any type of plankton in your tank?

OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
It's sponge.
I assumed so, funny I showed my LFS and he said that without a doubt it was bryopsis. I said it’s white and nothing like algae, he still said it was bryopsis. I spent the rest of my gift card on food while there and decided it is time to move on from that place.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
I assumed so, funny I showed my LFS and he said that without a doubt it was bryopsis. I said it’s white and nothing like algae, he still said it was bryopsis. I spent the rest of my gift card on food while there and decided it is time to move on from that place.
Yea their is no way that is bryopsis lol. I agree it's time to find a new place.

Last edited:

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Bring some to him and tell him to eat it if he thinks it's algae.

living_tribunal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Sometimes lfs are similar to that Home Depot guy whose opinion you should never placate.

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 204 54.3%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 125 33.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.0%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors