What the heck is this stuff?

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s white and tubular, growing all over a couple of frag plugs on the egg crate. What the heck is it??

934809DA-6200-4EF3-A2F0-4A4A0F4BDAB5.jpeg

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A harmless type of filter feeder worm curious if anyone knows how to control their growth though they seem to be thriving in your tank.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with some type of filter feeder. Possible type of sponge perhaps? I have some that look similar that only grow under my green mushroom rock. They don't seem to bother the mushrooms so they get to stay. If they bother your corals just pull them off with tweezers and move somewhere else! Do you dose any type of plankton in your tank?

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sponge.
I assumed so, funny I showed my LFS and he said that without a doubt it was bryopsis. I said it’s white and nothing like algae, he still said it was bryopsis. I spent the rest of my gift card on food while there and decided it is time to move on from that place.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed so, funny I showed my LFS and he said that without a doubt it was bryopsis. I said it’s white and nothing like algae, he still said it was bryopsis. I spent the rest of my gift card on food while there and decided it is time to move on from that place.
Yea their is no way that is bryopsis lol. I agree it's time to find a new place.

Last edited:

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring some to him and tell him to eat it if he thinks it's algae.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sometimes lfs are similar to that Home Depot guy whose opinion you should never placate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back