What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When considering an aquarium for your home one of the biggest decisions you have to make is the placement of the aquarium. Where will it go? It's important on many levels but here is one tip from me:

TIP: You want to place the aquarium where it can be enjoyed by the family and easily accessible. An aquarium that is placed in an inconspicuous area is often overlooked, unmaintained and usually ends in it being an eye-sore and is promptly decommissioned.

What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home? (write your response as a tip)

image via @Takaki1980
C609E99D-8240-47CA-AD09-E20854ED0845.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tip/advice that I'd offer is wherever you place your tank, plan for a 2-3x larger footprint for maintenance, ie: cleaning the tank, water changes, equipment removal, acclimating new livestock, feeding, etc.

Where possible, an adjacent closet or room (particularly with a sink for an RO system) that can double as a "fish room" is always advantageous.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask what the floor structure under the tank is like? not as important with smaller tanks.

Also depends on what there thinking. Do they want something that looks nice? more of a tinkerer? ease of access? ease of maintenance? what are they thinking?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the most important tips that I will add is to put the tank someplace where your wife won't see it.
Some day I will tell my wife we have a fish tank.
Mine is in my Man cave and the floor is cement so the hundreds of gallons of salt water I drop, spill, splash etc doesn't harm the oak floors where my wife sees.

PB Fish 3.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have turned my standard corner overflow 120 into a peninsula tank.
I probably would not be looking to upgrade now if I did.
Also, on my future upgrade my stand will be 32" tall and the tank 22" tall.
Current stand 36" and tank 24".
Upgrade will be maintained without using something to stand on.

Also you want your system to be visible from your main couch/chair, well at least I do.

I have a nano cube and a frag system in another room and it works out well.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the stupid decision to put my 10 gallon by a window and all the light made algae go insane. But my 40 gallon is in a flawless spot right across my bed and I couldn’t be happier.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I more wish my house was configured differently! lol like the perfect spot had a garage or huge closet on other side of wall to house all a much larger sump and equipment etc.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be aware that high traffic areas can affect the behavior of fish and sometimes can result in timid behavior.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A place where you will enjoy it and have the space to clean the tank. Make sure its in place where you won't care if water is splashed or dripped on the floor. Its a fish tank you will have some type of water on the floor

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have somewhere where it is visible in your house otherwise that's a lot of work to not enjoy it. It also keeps the family engaged and appreciating it.

Ours is in between the kitchen and living room (90% of our time we can see the tank).

I do wish we had better storage and a sink closer, but not deal breakers given those are only a couple of hours a week.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that high traffic areas can affect the behavior of fish and sometimes can result in timid behavior.
In my case that was the initial response, but now even the shy fish like the fourmanoiri tilefish and fathead anthias don't hide at all. They've become accustomed to all the commotion in the living room and dining room (free range parrot, 3 cats, and 2 large hyperactive dogs)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not super practical but here is my tip:

Whenever possible, build the house around the tank rather than the other way around.

And a remote/basement sump at a countertop working height will make your maintenance so much easier.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not super practical but here is my tip:

Whenever possible, build the house around the tank rather than the other way around.

And a remote/basement sump at a countertop working height will make your maintenance so much easier.
Go ahead and combine our tips. Great minds, Sean.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back