What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in the least likely location to be hit by dogs skidding around doing zoomies.
Good luck. First pic is before I turned the tank into a reef aquarium. Second pic shows no regard for climbing things. I've found all 65 lbs of coonhound at the top of the 6' cat tree more than once...

20201031_195628.jpg
received_479272387023612.jpeg

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. First pic is before I turned the tank into a reef aquarium. Second pic shows no regard for climbing things. I've found all 65 lbs of coonhound at the top of the 6' cat tree more than once...
What do you feed that strange cat?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed that strange cat?
Honestly, she eats everything... but seriously she gets Simply Nourish salmon and sweet potato from Petsmart (wife works there so half off), and all kinds of treats (she steals zucchinis and cucumbers off the vines in summer, and regularly gets them as treats to chew). She also gets various organ meats when I buy and butcher chickens/ducks/rabbits. We used to raise those as well, but our township made us get rid of our livestock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assure tank and stand are level and keep it away from a window or near a window
UV are much stronger than many realize

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your tank in an area where no sunlight reaches it. Mine is in a room with windows, and when the curtains were up, I had massive strands of hair algae on the back wall. Now, with the curtains being down for a week, there is basically none. Coincidence? I think not!

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the most important tips that I will add is to put the tank someplace where your wife won't see it.
Some day I will tell my wife we have a fish tank.
Mine is in my Man cave and the floor is cement so the hundreds of gallons of salt water I drop, spill, splash etc doesn't harm the oak floors where my wife sees.

PB Fish 3.jpg
show her it. She will love it.

that is, of course, until she sees your receipt.

7thpagano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tip/advice that I'd offer is wherever you place your tank, plan for a 2-3x larger footprint for maintenance, ie: cleaning the tank, water changes, equipment removal, acclimating new livestock, feeding, etc.

Where possible, an adjacent closet or room (particularly with a sink for an RO system) that can double as a "fish room" is always advantageous.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a home that gets lots of natural sunlight, check where the sun enters your house at all times of the day, and at different points in the year. I like where my cube is now, but did not account for the sun that enters through the back of the house in the winter when the sun is lower in the sky. For about 2 hours, the tank recieves direct sunlight. I mitigated this by moving a very large potted Giant Yucca to that window. While most reefs can handle sunlight here and there, too much can shock your coral and cause nuisance algae buildup.

I would also add that while a window can cause temperature fluctuations, having your reef near a spot that has easier access outside will help you if you decide to run air lines to your skimmer to help with pH control.
just add a black posterboard behind your tank (not needed in AIO tanks) or paint it.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When considering an aquarium for your home one of the biggest decisions you have to make is the placement of the aquarium. Where will it go? It's important on many levels but here is one tip from me:

TIP: You want to place the aquarium where it can be enjoyed by the family and easily accessible. An aquarium that is placed in an inconspicuous area is often overlooked, unmaintained and usually ends in it being an eye-sore and is promptly decommissioned.

What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home? (write your response as a tip)

image via @Takaki1980
C609E99D-8240-47CA-AD09-E20854ED0845.jpeg
dont place it next to a big open window. I made that mistake, and now I have may too much algae...

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peninsula tank (total of 170g) is on the lower level on concrete floor with vinyl plank flooring . The good part is not having to be concerned with weight and the other is not having to worry about the flooring when spills happen. I have had a Biocube on carpet and that wasn’t the best since it’s hard to tell what’s going on underneath it and harder to level, too.

Because it’s not on my main level where I would see it more, things like maintenance can be more easily put off. A more disciplined person would do better than I do.

I strongly recommend as others have, leaving about 4” or so between the tank and the wall .

My husband doesn’t share my interest in the hobby so by being on the lower level it isn’t so distracting when the tank is not in its most attractive.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big tank in a smallhouse. Wife and I are empty nesters, so we have downsized.

Basically, there was only 1 place it could possibly go.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario, what will happen to your floor and living space if the tank let's loose in THAT SPOT?!!!
My nightmare, hickory hardwood floors and water. Wool area rug is under tank to catch drips, wool stops the liquid.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back