What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a great spot………downstairs and I spend most of my time upstairs. Nothing to really do about it. I do miss sitting and watching during commercial.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a place where if you have a significant spill or leak, you won't damage the house. Nothing worse than having your significant other screaming about a water caused disaster.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t set up near direct sunlight, you’ll regret it later.
emilia clarke animation GIF by Animals

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup wasn't planned. My home happened to have the perfect spot for it as a room divider. It is supported by joists running perpendicular to the tank and supporting the joists immediately below and perpendicular to them is a steel beam. I also had relatively easy access to the garage below to place ATO and WC reservoirs.

In the morning hours, the tank receives a lot of light from the east. In the early afternoon, it receives light from the west. It's beautiful. At night I get blasted by blues in the living room even with shades on my lights. It is a strain on the eyes, so I've modified the ramp down to include a reduction in blues and an increase in whites to make it tolerable.

Placement today next to a morning shot the other day from the end:
20220318_000405751_iOS.jpg
20220315_135424902_iOS.jpg

Photo from ugly phase during summer shortly after migration from the old tank. Don't get this kind of a light right now, though:
20210822_205141578_iOS.jpg

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built into a wall mounted book stand and its inaccessible on 2 sides....live and learn

3.jpg

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some obvious things: out of direct light, consider impact of pump, skimmer, chiller noise, make sure the floor can support the tank if large.

A less obvious happy accident. My tanks were banished to the casita by my spouse, which is now my man cave. When we go away, I can alarm the house but bypass the casita so that my tank sitters can access without triggering the home alarm

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leave it out from the wall enough to have at least a little room behind the tank. I’d love to put some power heads on the back wall of my tank but I can’t get my hand between the tank and the wall to place the magnets.
THIS^

I love the spot I placed my tank, however, I put the stand right up against the wall. I wish I would have left more room because it is a pain in the butt to get back to there to plug in or unplug equipment.
setup over waterproof flooring :D
This is a good one too. You'd never know how many drips there are until you're worried about keeping the floor dry.

Tip:
I actually sprayed scotch guard waterproofing on my floor to help with this since I have carpet. Water beads up and I have time to catch it w/ a towel.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a tank has to be in a spot where I know I will be able to spend hours each week relaxing near it. It also has to be in a place where everyone who visits will be able to enjoy it. Finally it has to fit and match the room, right size, clean finished look.

I spend to much time, money, and effort on my tank for anything less. Also if it were in an out of the way spot I would neglect it, just the truth.

I would love a bigger tank than my 40b but in the current house a 3ft tank is all I can fit in my ideal location. I built the stand to match the room and so the tank would be the right hight for whoever is sitting on the couch next to it.

Someday we will get a bigger house and I'll be looking for the right spot for a 6ft+ tank.

PXL_20220318_005616889.jpg

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A room with good ventilation, air exchange/low co2 *for sps type tanks
Room for an open sump.. i say open, not a fan of the sectioned new fashion things.
Place it like you would a t.v t.v is boring anyway ;)

ocnbrze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank should be in as dark of a room or area as possible. avoid bright well lit rooms. and avoid direct sunlight.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that high traffic areas can affect the behavior of fish and sometimes can result in timid behavior.
I made sure mine was in the main room and high traffic area. One it makes for pushing yourself to do maintenance. I also found my fish are more out in the open in traffic area. Previous tank was in another room little traffic and when company was over they always asked where are the fish. Now they say oh you have a new fish, but I don't just out more.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Near a window and a high traffic area. My last house there was a window behind the tank that I left cracked all year. The tank was also between the living room and kitchen, so I was always looking at them yet not directly in the way of anything

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good question, actually I’m moving mine now

Attachments

• E1CCF2F4-AFFF-437E-920C-40F5F3DDFD5B.jpeg
    E1CCF2F4-AFFF-437E-920C-40F5F3DDFD5B.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 26
  • 8A8A1C49-3674-401A-B09E-000969CBD04C.jpeg
    8A8A1C49-3674-401A-B09E-000969CBD04C.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 39C2185F-946B-46B6-816C-09543DEC768E.jpeg
    39C2185F-946B-46B6-816C-09543DEC768E.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 24

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place it somewhere you will enjoy it. Bonus if out of direct sunlight and location where temp changes are minimized. I highly recommend a higher stand so you have more room under for sump maint. Making water changes easy will keep you doing them.
1647608987602.png

Henressy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My response is put the tank where u will be able to enjoy, view it from time to time and always put it where it the vibes of the home or room are telling you also a good tip never near a window or a wall heater.

my next project is a tank inwall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 18

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1...you will spill water...lots of it...#2...a beautiful mature reef makes an awesome centerpiece for your main living area...but this wont happen overnight...and it can be quite an eyesore till you finally get things figured out..like a tank full of brown slime and failing corals and all the fish quarantining somewhere else while you go fallow to try to eradicate something....which can really annoy the significant other who's forced to look at it on a daily basis...so if you're just getting started a basement is a good thing...

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about what is below your aquarium. On a long enough time frame, everybody puts a bunch of water on the floor at some point.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a place where if you have a significant spill or leak, you won't damage the house. Nothing worse than having your significant other screaming about a water caused disaster.
I was away for work and my fiance was house-sitting. Of course right before I left I installed a new 300 watt heater. She took a nap on the couch, heater turned on, circuit breaker did it’s job… siphon stopper DID NOT. The Mrs. wakes up from her nap and wonders where the blue light has gone. Sets her feet on the carpet and there is an inch of water. Probably 50 gallons on the floor. She wasn’t mad at all, but a week later I shelled out for 11k worth of LVT that she wanted!!! I think she is genuinely glad our floor was ruined, she loves telling the story haha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back