What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for work and my fiance was house-sitting. Of course right before I left I installed a new 300 watt heater. She took a nap on the couch, heater turned on, circuit breaker did it’s job… siphon stopper DID NOT. The Mrs. wakes up from her nap and wonders where the blue light has gone. Sets her feet on the carpet and there is an inch of water. Probably 50 gallons on the floor. She wasn’t mad at all, but a week later I shelled out for 11k worth of LVT that she wanted!!! I think she is genuinely glad our floor was ruined, she loves telling the story haha
Have you considered that she really wanted that flooring so possibly the tripped breaker was an inside job??? Just thinking out loud here.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered that she really wanted that flooring so possibly the tripped breaker was an inside job??? Just thinking out loud here.
1647627723409.gif

I had not… I am now!!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for work and my fiance was house-sitting. Of course right before I left I installed a new 300 watt heater. She took a nap on the couch, heater turned on, circuit breaker did it’s job… siphon stopper DID NOT. The Mrs. wakes up from her nap and wonders where the blue light has gone. Sets her feet on the carpet and there is an inch of water. Probably 50 gallons on the floor. She wasn’t mad at all, but a week later I shelled out for 11k worth of LVT that she wanted!!! I think she is genuinely glad our floor was ruined, she loves telling the story haha
If it wasn’t a risk to the things in the tank, I would secretly hope for this to happen as well. I hate my floors.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that 1-it’s in a place that you can enjoy it and have enough room to work around when doing maintenance/water changes etc. around it. 2-see see1. My 30 gallon is on a repurposed computer desk in my study/computer room. 497857F9-88B1-4E47-A79D-2035F1D0214E.jpeg

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the floor can get wet, spills and overflows are inevitable. I set up my tank in the corner at an angle to allow me to get fully behind the tank. I haven’t done this on any of my other tanks, and it has made maintenance easier and helps with accessibility through the tank

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the comments on leaving space on the sides and behind the tank…for maintenance especially, for keeping walls and floors clean and dry, and to see everything in it better.

I will add that I am super glad we put the first tank in a room that had room for more tanks, because we didn’t know how much we’d love this hobby and how many tanks we would ‘need’.

Attachments

• 1B64FEF5-20B9-47CB-94C1-283FDBF4886D.jpeg
    1B64FEF5-20B9-47CB-94C1-283FDBF4886D.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 47

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned with my 1st tank that although having an aquarium in the wall like a picture frame is really cool looking, they are hard to maintenance if you have to keep going around the wall.

My last 3 tanks have been in the same spot, right when you walk in the door between the living room and dining room. It gets attention from us and guests.
A plus that I realized later is it is directly over an area in the basement near a cold water line (for RODI) and there is a floor drain there too. So I added a basement sump and make and change water there which is by far the best upgrade I ever did with the tank.

So yes, where my tank is, is perfect!

IMG_20220318_163651751.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquarium got moved to my Shop Area in
my Basements for a Tiling of the floor. Due to having to replace the roof and siding, still no walls are up. I do have a wall behind where the aquarium space is, just painted it dark ink blue. Space under the Basement stairs, behind this wall. Things are going slow for my 120 build. I’m good to have to refinish the Stand outside, rather than in my shop area, which has an exhaust for fumes.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When considering an aquarium for your home one of the biggest decisions you have to make is the placement of the aquarium. Where will it go? It's important on many levels but here is one tip from me:

TIP: You want to place the aquarium where it can be enjoyed by the family and easily accessible. An aquarium that is placed in an inconspicuous area is often overlooked, unmaintained and usually ends in it being an eye-sore and is promptly decommissioned.

What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home? (write your response as a tip)

image via @Takaki1980
C609E99D-8240-47CA-AD09-E20854ED0845.jpeg
Not against a window or in a narrow hallway, but as revhtree suggested, somewhere that is near a family area that everyone can enjoy it. Also, easily accessible for maintenance. It needs to be on a separate circuit that has enough amperage to support the aquarium and equipment.

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned with my 1st tank that although having an aquarium in the wall like a picture frame is really cool looking, they are hard to maintenance if you have to keep going around the wall.

My last 3 tanks have been in the same spot, right when you walk in the door between the living room and dining room. It gets attention from us and guests.
A plus that I realized later is it is directly over an area in the basement near a cold water line (for RODI) and there is a floor drain there too. So I added a basement sump and make and change water there which is by far the best upgrade I ever did with the tank.

So yes, where my tank is, is perfect!

IMG_20220318_163651751.jpg
Fishes love attention! Many of them love interaction with their humans.

Vnomus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip would be, "No matter where you put the tank, put the sump somewhere else!"... It moves the maintenance, noise, spillages, and clutter elsewhere. Mine's now in the basement and it was the best change I've made. I now have plenty of room for the ever-growing equipment and the Boss is not giving me the evil eye when water hits the concrete floor....

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be a focal point. Set up around it so that it can be enjoyed. Don’t tuck into the spot where the book shelf was. Think of maintenance. Think of the syphon hose accident. Don’t put your amp, receiver, computer, turntable next to it. Understand that salt corrosion is a real thing and any electronics just By sharing the room will be shorter lived.
Think of where you’ll be slopping the 5 gallon buckets of water when you do your water changes.
Watch where the rays of sun came n through the window in the room and remember there are seasonal changes which will cause change.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so use to putting tanks against a wall, my next big tank i want to be able to get access to it from any direction 360° around the tank for any maintenance or issues that pop up, it kinda drives me nuts having limited access to do simple things let alone if I had to change some plumbing or the overflow.

I think having it in a good spot it's always seen and enjoyed, and unlimited access to the entire tank will be my next "must haves" in an aquarium set up.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect spot.

900 5.jpg
Is that right next to you hvac return, I run a dehumidifier down to 45%, I use to have a tank next to a return like that open top, and it made my whole house humid. I now run 2 dehumidifiers next to both tanks and it forces evaporation, I push evaporation as hard as I can..

Good looking tank its beautiful!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have turned my standard corner overflow 120 into a peninsula tank.
I probably would not be looking to upgrade now if I did.
Also, on my future upgrade my stand will be 32" tall and the tank 22" tall.
Current stand 36" and tank 24".
Upgrade will be maintained without using something to stand on.

Also you want your system to be visible from your main couch/chair, well at least I do.

I have a nano cube and a frag system in another room and it works out well.
Your right, I'm thinking low is the way to go, I use a ladder everytime, and its getting old..

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, but it was only place, so.....

I have to manage with things i have....

First idea was to do a tank in wall, with room in back, for access the tank, cleaning, etc, so that only thing in living room u see is glass wall, aka - reef.....

I had the wall, i had the back room, big enough for everything, with water drain, water line, plenty room.....

Only thing i didn't have is way to punch a hole in that wall, without risking structural integrity of house, cost of reinforcements, and everything needed to get things this way was enormous, so....

I settled with classic tank on wall, on only suitable location.....

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in our family room, right by the kitchen away from a window. It's an open space where we spend most of our time and can enjoy it all day everyday. During the summer it gets hot so away from the windows.

Black Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, funny this came up. So we are re doing our living room, and kitchen...and my Fiance wants me to move my tank because she wants to expand the kitchen and put a bar nook there.... I dont want to move it because I like seeing it when I watch TV....but she wants it moved behind the couch.... Happy Wife happy life.

20220226_205713.jpg
I have mine in room with no windows centered in archway between two bookcases. 125salt I will send pics soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back