What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will be a focal point. Set up around it so that it can be enjoyed. Don’t tuck into the spot where the book shelf was. Think of maintenance. Think of the syphon hose accident. Don’t put your amp, receiver, computer, turntable next to it. Understand that salt corrosion is a real thing and any electronics just By sharing the room will be shorter lived.
Think of where you’ll be slopping the 5 gallon buckets of water when you do your water changes.
Watch where the rays of sun came n through the window in the room and remember there are seasonal changes which will cause change.
All great advice! Salt water can do serious damage. The beauty of your aquarium really needs to be enjoyed and it will be if it is in a prominent location a bit out of the way of traffic, just a bit…Being able to do maintenance is absolutely key. I don’t do water changes with buckets, too much lifting and sloshing. I had rotator cuff surgery and had to devise a way to do water changes with one arm. I started using a dirty water garbage can and a clean water garbage can for water changes. Albeit, one of my aquariums is only 50 gallons, so it is easier that way. Using pumps and tubing to quickly remove the water and replace it, in IMHO, it’s the very best way to go. As a reminder from my other post, connect your aquarium to a separate circuit so that you don’t overload and have outages. Cheers! JL

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great advice! Salt water can do serious damage. The beauty of your aquarium really needs to be enjoyed and it will be if it is in a prominent location a bit out of the way of traffic, just a bit…Being able to do maintenance is absolutely key. I don’t do water changes with buckets, too much lifting and sloshing. I had rotator cuff surgery and had to devise a way to do water changes with one arm. I started using a dirty water garbage can and a clean water garbage can for water changes. Albeit, one of my aquariums is only 50 gallons, so it is easier that way. Using pumps and tubing to quickly remove the water and replace it, in IMHO, it’s the very best way to go. As a reminder from my other post, connect your aquarium to a separate circuit so that you don’t overload and have outages. Cheers! JL
Im already thinking of easier ways to do this on future years. The garbage cans on wheels are okay for now but even that is a bit tedious. In time I’ll need a more permanente system.
Good luck

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im already thinking of easier ways to do this on future years. The garbage cans on wheels are okay for now but even that is a bit tedious. In time I’ll need a more permanente system.
Good luck
Let me tell you a story about garbage cans on wheels…not a great idea. No wheels. I originally did that about 25 years ago. I had my 75 gallon saltwater tank upstairs in the hallway next to the two bedrooms and the pumps in those days were very noisy. I wanted to move it to the room above the garage which was only about 15 feet away. I used garbage cans on wheels.
I filled up two of them and both 25 - 30 gallon cans of saltwater tipped over onto the carpeted floor above my two car garage soaking everything and draining all the way through into the garage past the plumbing and all of the electrical…not a great idea. The water made the cans unbalanced and they toppled over.
That was my experience…
I use 22 gallon Brute grey garbage cans that I store in the garage and I carry them into the house when they are empty. I transferred RO water in four 5 gallon buckets (or my husband did) from the RO spicket to the garbage can to make my saltwater, but that was the only carrying of buckets that had to be done.

I would make about 20 gallons of water and change out about 15 gallons every 2 weeks. Yes, it could be somewhat tedious and time consuming, but I really did enjoy it especially in the winter. Putting your hands and arms in 80 degree water, listening to music, talking to your animals and taking care of something that is not you seems to always make me feel good.

Last edited:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an experience!
We have tile flooring so an occasional splash isn't a big problem but I still get yelled at if I make a mess. LOL
I too use the Brute cans with the 4 wheel caddies which are pretty easy to pull around the house.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, what an experience!
We have tile flooring so an occasional splash isn't a big problem but I still get yelled at if I make a mess. LOL
I too use the Brute cans with the 4 wheel caddies which are pretty easy to pull around the house.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone yelling at you. You are one of the nicest people in the hobby!

40lbBear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not super practical but here is my tip:

Whenever possible, build the house around the tank rather than the other way around.

And a remote/basement sump at a countertop working height will make your maintenance so much easier.
More of less what I’m doing now. Laminate flooring needs to be replaced with vinyl planks down the road. To get around having to worry about how I’m going to move a 125gal. when I decide to replace floors, I cut out a section of what’s currently there, and tiled where I want the tank.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your sump doesn't overflow when your return pumps lose power.

Make sure your tanks not on carpet.

Give yourself easy access/space to work on your tank, and just plan ahead to make life improvements.

Really think think about you equipment, your method, your sump and your stand prior as it may be harder to change designs later.

And measure everything!

Glenn Etchart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have put where light from window didn't affect algae growth. It's 100 Gallon acrylic and one side stays clean with help the crews I have but can't keep up with the other end.

Attachments

• new8.jpg
    new8.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 37

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an experience!
Yeah, it was pretty much a nightmare. Years later when we went to sell the house, I was sweating bullets thinking that the wiring and everything that had gotten wet with saltwater in the rafters was damaged. Fortunately, they didn’t find anything. Whew!
I think that I only had two-wheels on mine…oops!

CalsReef2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tanks in my bedroom and in the living room. Some near the window, others in the dark. The only thing that I have found to be a real problem is how lose it is to the bathroom, I do not like having to move water all the way down the hall to refill it after a water change. That is something to watch out for.
You also want to take into account where the sub hits the wall, in the living room, at around 5 every evening the light reflects off the tank and blinds whoever sits on the couch, not to mention you cannot see the tank when the sun hits it.
So watch out for that, those are just the little things to think about.

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the most important tips that I will add is to put the tank someplace where your wife won't see it.
Some day I will tell my wife we have a fish tank.
Mine is in my Man cave and the floor is cement so the hundreds of gallons of salt water I drop, spill, splash etc doesn't harm the oak floors where my wife sees.

PB Fish 3.jpg
I could not have said it any better myself. My tank is in my mancave also and it has a concrete floor so no problem with any spillage. Beautiful tank you got there.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have restriction of size and limit yourself to that .

putting a 230 gal in the living room of a small apartment could have been downsized a little …

but too late . If you love reefing bigger is always better .
This sounds like the voice of experience.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back