What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents and first recommendation is to not place tank too close to windows as the sun coming thru can be a problem with algae and temperature fluctuations . Being near a water source and drain is good . And probably most important is to make sure your spot has electrical outlets preferably two that are connected to different breakers as depending on your tank needs and what other things that may be plugged in line . Now a days it is awesome how energy efficient equipment for reef tanks has become !!! But not overloading a plug is not only good and having piece of mind is priceless not to mention safe . Did I also mention using a grounding probe for stray current is something that is also priceless .

Colodano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all of the different places I have had tanks, either in or adjacent to a kitchen has always worked the best. You will be there a lot so you can both enjoy and easily feed and maintain the tank. Generally flooring is water resistant there, and you have a sink close.
The worst spot I put a tank was in a nook under stairs, it fit perfect, but we didn't go downstairs all the time, so it ended up neglected. That or the one that I had to put in the lowest level of a townhouse that was really only used for the tank and storage, but it was the only safe place for the 180 that I already had, but that was a freshwater tank that didn't need anywhere near as much maintenance.

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip: Leave your tank empty in it's desired resting spot for a couple of days before filling, plumbing, etc... so you can get over the sheer excitement of a new tank and look at it clearly from a maintenance perspective.

My 525XL fits perfectly in my home office and looks great, but I do wish I'd been a little more conscious of the need for access to clean the glass sides more easily :p

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_191426.jpg
    IMG_20211128_191426.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 30

chegz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it up somewhere you spend a lot of time. Somewhere you can enjoy it all the time. Mine is tucked around a corner so I can see it but not front on. We’re investing on a Cade 1200 to go in the most central area of our home bring it on!!!

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up the aquarium where it is a focal point in a room, where it gets very little natural sunlight and close to the kitchen or a bathroom so you have a water source for an ATO and plumbing for a drain for an AWC system. 1651002844808445446025348986372.jpg

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporated my wife of 50 years into the build. I designed a set of bookshelves and placed my big screen tv over the top of everything and built the tank into a cabinet and matched them all. She now names each fish and tells each one goodnight. Tank 110, floor is 5 inch concrete slab, ceiling is 14 feet, and only one window near this wall area. We spend time mainly reading in the room and watching a little tv.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Placing it where you see it often is a big one for me. I’ve had tanks all over the place throughout the years and my most successful ones have always been in places where I walk past daily regardless. The ones I’ve tucked away in areas or rooms I don’t frequent have always not done as well.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many displays through some 20+ years in many different areas of the house/apartment. I’ve had tanks in the basement, bedroom, living area, behind walls in a separate fish room… and my personal favorite was a display in the kitchen/dining room area. I know this may not be possible for some and this was a house we built with the tank in mind … but personally has always been my favorite by far!

Attachments

• B804374A-9090-4953-9502-BA09D10EEB2A.jpeg
    B804374A-9090-4953-9502-BA09D10EEB2A.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put our new tank in the dining room after changing locations twice, before starting it up. Very happy we sat it empty in it's proposed spot, then decided to move! Now we can watch it while eating, playing games, and I have a nice sized table to use while working on the tank.

For us, a visible/high traffic spot is key. Ability to keep dark is key (especially with 22 hours sunlight here in Alaska for a portion of the year). Access to sink/water depends on your setup (we haul water over, this is only a 55). We can also view it from the living room!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where mine is because its the first thing you see when coming down my stairs . Guests love it, and I get to crow, and it ticks my wife off. But too bad grandkids love it ha ha

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back