What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home?

Are you happy with where you have your current aquarium placed?

• Yes it's the perfect spot

Votes: 371 66.0%
  • Somewhat but there may have been a better spot

Votes: 159 28.3%
  • No it was not a good choice (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 2.3%

• Total voters

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, funny this came up. So we are re doing our living room, and kitchen...and my Fiance wants me to move my tank because she wants to expand the kitchen and put a bar nook there.... I dont want to move it because I like seeing it when I watch TV....but she wants it moved behind the couch.... Happy Wife happy life.

20220226_205713.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a home that gets lots of natural sunlight, check where the sun enters your house at all times of the day, and at different points in the year. I like where my cube is now, but did not account for the sun that enters through the back of the house in the winter when the sun is lower in the sky. For about 2 hours, the tank recieves direct sunlight. I mitigated this by moving a very large potted Giant Yucca to that window. While most reefs can handle sunlight here and there, too much can shock your coral and cause nuisance algae buildup.

I would also add that while a window can cause temperature fluctuations, having your reef near a spot that has easier access outside will help you if you decide to run air lines to your skimmer to help with pH control.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a foot to the right and closer to the wall. It partially blocks the hallway entrance to the master bedroom. But my wife wanted it there so it wasn't right next to the tv.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, funny this came up. So we are re doing our living room, and kitchen...and my Fiance wants me to move my tank because she wants to expand the kitchen and put a bar nook there.... I dont want to move it because I like seeing it when I watch TV....but she wants it moved behind the couch.... Happy Wife happy life.
As long as the fish can still watch Survivor re-runs you should be fine. ;)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it out from the wall enough to have at least a little room behind the tank. I’d love to put some power heads on the back wall of my tank but I can’t get my hand between the tank and the wall to place the magnets.
I learned that one the hard way on a previous tank. Now I give myself a minimum of 5" between the back glass and the wall. I had to replace my GFCI outlet recently and I was more than glad I had the space!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220226_205713.jpg
I had to buy a canopy setup for this reason, I was in the same boat. I deferred to the better half.

Grimmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we moved we put the tank between the kitchen and living room on a tile floor that goes to the front door. Great spot since water doesnt hurt the floor. Downside is the front wall is about 20ft of glass and in the summer the tank gets some sun and algae grows on the tank glass. Winter it gets less sun and I dont have this issue.
So ya think about the ambient things that happen where the tank is. Mine is also near the stairs going to the second floor. My 2 year old has discovered if she leans over and sticks a arm through the railing she can touch the water...ugh

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that high traffic areas can affect the behavior of fish and sometimes can result in timid behavior.
This is what I was gonna say. I moved my tank because I was tired of having a panic attack every time the kids and dogs sprint by it. Now it's in my room by my computer desk.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know your floor can handle the weight, concrete floors are bets. Level your tank 100%. Plan out your electrical needs. You will need space to do various things (table or bar) and a water supply and drain close to the tank for obvious reasons. Storage area for supply's is a must. No direct light or high traffic from pets and children, tanks can be very dangerous.
Most of all get the biggest tank you can afford or be a repeat offender.

040.JPG

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I really enjoy having the tank in the bedroom. If kids get too rowdy, we just close the door so it's less likely to spook fish and corals from all of the running and stomping. It gets zero light from the outside and it's right next to the bathroom so very easy to dump small amounts of water down the sink while testing or adding new inhabitants.
It's on wood floors so I have to make sure there is a towel down for ANY work. It's also not the optimal spot for showing large numbers of guests, but that doesn't really ever happen. If I ever get my dream tank, however, it would likely go in a finished basement.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place the tank in the area you most often occupy.
A false wall adjacent to, or above, a utility room or bathroom can provide easy water & drainage access
Like others have said... not on floors that are easily damaged by water - I killed some nice hardwood once. Fortunately, the flooring guys included the repair when we refloored the rest of the rooms on that level so the "finance department" didn't realize the actual cost of my mistake.
Shielded from direct light from windows

reefplumer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When considering an aquarium for your home one of the biggest decisions you have to make is the placement of the aquarium. Where will it go? It's important on many levels but here is one tip from me:

TIP: You want to place the aquarium where it can be enjoyed by the family and easily accessible. An aquarium that is placed in an inconspicuous area is often overlooked, unmaintained and usually ends in it being an eye-sore and is promptly decommissioned.

What TIP would you leave someone about the placement of a new aquarium in their home? (write your response as a tip)

image via @Takaki1980
C609E99D-8240-47CA-AD09-E20854ED0845.jpeg
make sure you place it where it isn't in direct sunlight. Or in direct flow of ac/heat vents!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back