What to add for SPS?

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So I am setting up my 120g DT now. I had orginally thought I would just do softies and LPS. I still plan to do those to begin with, but now know once I get some experience I want to add SPS. So my tank is the standard 4x2x2, and I will have the kessil ap700 on it for now.
So what I am trying to figure out, is what will I need to add to make it a SPS tank? I need to start putting money aside for this in my budget and knowing what I need will allow me to set the amount correctly. Would adding 2 A160's be ok? I was orginally wanted to make it a LED/T5 combo, but I am not sure how to make that look the way I want without a canopy. Thanks for any tips or ideas. Thanks.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I think you are doing the smart thing. Starting with LPS is a good way to go. In my opinion, SPS really do better in an established tank. I have the AP700 and find it to be a great light. Your tank is 4 feet long so I think if you wanted to go with the A160s then you will need at least 3. I added a T5 to supplement my AP700 and find the combo to be great. I have a mixed tank with a good mix and have only been able to keep acros after my tank has been running for about 6-8 months. In my opinion, T5/LED combos are the way to go. A tank thread is a good way to keep track of your build as well.

OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a build thread in my signature. Thanks though.

How did you do your T5 combo? could I see some pictures? Thanks

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the question asked. I must assume that you dont have a whole lot of experience with sps yet. First i think every tank is different.
SPS needs a.stabled environment otherwise they go south.
To be called a successful in keeping sps they must have good coloration. Everybody can grow them fine once the tank is established but coloration is hard to achieve and this will come with experience.

For you, once your tank is established and you have no problem with lps and softies. You can first try with a few easy acro to see how they do.
Once they do well then try some high end ne acro. After that you can try to achieve the.coloration.
You soon will learn that your tank need to be stabled and the right supplement and the right lightning to achieve them. This dont come overnight. It can take years to turn around
So for now dont go crazy with different ightning, equipments...etc....just take one step at a time.
Lets get the tank to a point where you can grow any lps with no issues and go from there.
Having a good light alone does not make sps to yield good color. You can get good.color with an average light just so you know.

Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the question asked. I must assume that you dont have a whole lot of experience with sps yet. First i think every tank is different.
SPS needs a.stabled environment otherwise they go south.
To be called a successful in keeping sps they must have good coloration. Everybody can grow them fine once the tank is established but coloration is hard to achieve and this will come with experience.

For you, once your tank is established and you have no problem with lps and softies. You can first try with a few easy acro to see how they do.
Once they do well then you can try to achieve the.coloration. you soon will learn that your tank need to be stabled and the right supplement and the right lightning to achieve them. This dont come overnight. It can take years to turn around
So for now dont go crazy with different ightning...just take one step at a time.
Good luck

I understand that, but my question was not for now (as I plan to take my time learning as much as I can), but for the future. I don’t know your finances, but I can’t just drop 400-500 on lighting without saving. I wanted an idea of what I would need in the future, so I could put the correct amount aside for my future purchase. Hope that makes sense.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sps. Stability is the most important.

If you are doing sps only. Led/t5 or MH/t5 is the best

Led is also good too but you need to know what you are doing .

OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sps. Stability is the most important.

If you are doing sps only. Led/t5 or MH/t5 is the best

Led is also good too but you need to know what you are doing .

I get that. That’s why I was talking about doing sps, once my tank had been up for quite a while (probably at least a year).

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindsay... see below. My tank is in my basement. I hung a 2 bulb T5 from my floating ceiling. Used pulleys so I can move the light up and down. Was easy for me. This light has been discontinued. It is from aquatic life.. I am Interested in getting the new hybrid light if they ever get it in stock.

8caab29f66a1c9cfd223fb1499639a13.jpg

nine9d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into them, they don’t offer a mount for the ap700 only the ap360. Hopefully by the time I’m ready (which won’t be for a while), they will have upgraded that.

From my understanding it will fit the ap700 with the included brackets even though it is not advertised.

OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding it will fit the ap700 with the included brackets even though it is not advertised.
Oh I didn't realize that, it does not have them listed on the list of accepted LEDs. in BRS's video they even mentioned that they hoped they added that in a newer version. Seems like that should be something that needs to be advertised if you are correct. :)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you’re just adding some sps you can place them carefully in the vicinity between the two light pucks. Adding more light to the outsides can be done later. Just ensure your water quality is ultra stable, and that your major elements are within acceptable ranges and you shouldn’t need to add much of anything. I’d make sure you have enough flow before you start addressing lights. A single ap700 should be able to sustain acropora inside a 24-30”x18-20” square at any depth you have. Plenty you can do with that.

You don’t NEED to add a bunch more gadgets. One of the absolute fastest growing acro tanks I’ve personally witnessed was a friends 90 gallon packed with maricultures using a cheap oddysea metal halide unit and a single jebao pump and an undersized skimmer. Just weekly water changes and fish food. No other equipment. It absolutely can be done

OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you’re just adding some sps you can place them carefully in the vicinity between the two light pucks. Adding more light to the outsides can be done later. Just ensure your water quality is ultra stable, and that your major elements are within acceptable ranges and you shouldn’t need to add much of anything. I’d make sure you have enough flow before you start addressing lights. A single ap700 should be able to sustain acropora inside a 24-30”x18-20” square at any depth you have. Plenty you can do with that.

You don’t NEED to add a bunch more gadgets. One of the absolute fastest growing acro tanks I’ve personally witnessed was a friends 90 gallon packed with maricultures using a cheap oddysea metal halide unit and a single jebao pump and an undersized skimmer. Just weekly water changes and fish food. No other equipment. It absolutely can be done
Thank you, that’s makes me feel much better. I think I will just go slow, when I feeel things are super stable and established I will add some to the very middle.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the mentioned items, Patience and stability(your big three) are the key for SPS tanks. You need a good lighting system, filtration to keep nutrients down (skimmer, ATS, etc.) and keep your DT water clean. Did I mention Patience and Stability....

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of SPS. This is the first question that needs to be asked. The MBP&S have totally different light requirements than most Acropora.

If you want to get heavy into Acropra, then you will likley need some T5s to help out your Kessils. There are very few folks that have long-term sustained success with acropora using LED only. It is not impossible or anything, but everything else needs to be perfect for stuff to thrive continuously - it is like winning a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer... possible if every one of the other units are better than the other team.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence, but acros can handle swings of any kind better under MH or T5 than they can under LED - burnt tips, alk, temp, etc.

If you mostly want MBP&S, then any light can do. You can also carefully select your acros and place them more under the Kessils for some pretty good results.

OP
OP
Lindsay1126

Lindsay1126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which type of SPS. This is the first question that needs to be asked. The MBP&S have totally different light requirements than most Acropora.

If you want to get heavy into Acropra, then you will likley need some T5s to help out your Kessils. There are very few folks that have long-term sustained success with acropora using LED only. It is not impossible or anything, but everything else needs to be perfect for stuff to thrive continuously - it is like winning a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer... possible if every one of the other units are better than the other team.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence, but acros can handle swings of any kind better under MH or T5 than they can under LED - burnt tips, alk, temp, etc.

If you mostly want MBP&S, then any light can do. You can also carefully select your acros and place them more under the Kessils for some pretty good results.
Thank you for your advise. When I am ready to add SPS, I will do my research to see which ones would do best with what I have. If those work out well I will look into upgrading my lighting and adding some T5. I am enjoying learning about everything.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back